U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:23 AM

2,467 posts, read 11,121,876 times

Advertisements

Board games are a good idea. There are some pretty fun ones out now for the teens (catch phrase, cranium, scene it).
I've had to do this before, but on a much, much smaller budget. One thing that many of the girls loved (the pre-teens) were jewelry making kits. We also got some of the kids watches.
I'm sure if you go and look you will find a ton of cool toys out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 01:34 PM

3,413 posts, read 7,836,441 times
Video game chairs are great. Gift cards are well received in the older set- both sexes. MP3 players can be found in that price range as well. You might consider figuring out how many of each age group and seeing if you can get a deal/discount for making a bulk purchase at one store.

Most boys over 9 love skateboarding these days......... you can get skateboards easily for under $50

Old 10-25-2007, 03:44 PM

45 posts, read 68,402 times
I have a 10 yr old (alomost eleven) and it is ALL ABOUT THE WEBKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also have a newborn and they don't care as long as they are fed. Wish I could help with the rest. :-)

Old 10-25-2007, 03:45 PM

I forgot to mention that WEBKINS come in the 12-15 dollar price range, but there are WEBKINS charms that are also "very cool" and can be purchased at Hallmark for around 2.50-3.00 each. The kids LOVE THEM!

Old 10-25-2007, 05:44 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,842,736 times
Guys these are great! I'm writing them all down!

Lovin'Pawleys at 1 mt kids were always happier with the box than the gift inside!

Old 10-26-2007, 05:57 AM

Good Luck! My daughter got some Webkins Charms yesterday in the mail from my mom in KY and she was THRILLED. It is amazing what 3 bucks and a stamp can do! Boys like these things too as long as they are not too old....

Old 10-26-2007, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,075 times
Default Toys for Boys and Girls by age...

2-3 in this stage children are into exploring and learning about who they are, so toys that encourage imaginary play would be a plus...for girls dolls, costumes, interactive play tools etc...for boys interactive play tools, like handyman sets, cars, costumes etc....check out my web site for ideas...I'm an Educational Consultant (posted on my profile)

4-8 This stage is when you want to encourage learning through play, so board games and no not the traditional ones fun one are better, they are also starting to read so toys/ games that encourages that (again check my site for more ideas)

8-13 This stage children tend to think they are grown, so special interest toys...video games, art tools, and toys that would help them express themselves...(science games, teen novels etc...)

Old 10-27-2007, 11:10 AM

3,684 posts, read 10,842,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtconsultant View Post
2-3 in this stage children are into exploring and learning about who they are, so toys that encourage imaginary play would be a plus...for girls dolls, costumes, interactive play tools etc...for boys interactive play tools, like handyman sets, cars, costumes etc....check out my web site for ideas...I'm an Educational Consultant (posted on my profile)

4-8 This stage is when you want to encourage learning through play, so board games and no not the traditional ones fun one are better, they are also starting to read so toys/ games that encourages that (again check my site for more ideas)

8-13 This stage children tend to think they are grown, so special interest toys...video games, art tools, and toys that would help them express themselves...(science games, teen novels etc...)
Thanks so much!

Old 10-28-2007, 11:34 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,038,656 times
2-3 - books
4-8 - coloring books, play-dough, matchbox cars for boys, hair scrunchies for girls
8-13 - Girls: Hair accessories, "girls' spray perfume, journals with stickers, glitter pens, small photo albums, 2008 wall calendars for their bedrooms, costume jewlery bracelets, bubble bath
Boys: sporting goods, camping supplies (if they're in Boy Scouts or camp), sports or car themed wall calendar for 2008 fof their bedroom, T-shirts, books, computer mousepads, snacks...most boys love those popcorn tins, water guns, anything camoflauge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting