Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 PM

8 posts, read 244,166 times

Advertisements

Everywhere I go, whether it's teenagers or toddlers and I see parents doing nothing but tell their kids to shut up, I'm not sure who I feel sorry for more, the parents or kids.
Kids nowadays seem to have no discipline and parents I've witnessed doesn't seem willing to correct their child. Case in point, my next door neighbor who has 4 kids living in a tiny apartment. I hear the kids running rampant, all day long with no bedtime (this goes on well into 2-3am everyday). I honestly have no idea why they chose to have so many kids if the parents couldn't control or care for any of them.
I hate being forced to listen to their kids screaming at the top of their lungs or dragging things or punching the wall in the middle of the night (which I hear) or letting their 4 month old baby cry it out because no one wants to get out of bed to check on her.

I understand no child will be well behaved at all times, kids cry, throw tantrums, yell and whine. But everytime I have to watch them being ignored and the parents being oblivious to their kids bad behavior... I have no words...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 01:28 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
It took me a long time to understand that not everyone thinks or acts the way I do, and that there is very little I can do about that.

You never know the "whys" of someone else's life.

This is a problem for apartment management, pure and simple.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
What's the point of this thread, to gain validation that your next-door neighbors suck? Do you think anyone is going to say, "they sound like normal parents to me"?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:49 PM

556 posts, read 798,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What's the point of this thread, to gain validation that your next-door neighbors suck? Do you think anyone is going to say, "they sound like normal parents to me"?
I will! Letting kids be loud rowdy KIDS at home is a personal choice. "Cry it out" is a parental choice. As long as they aren't being heathens in public its all good.

Apartment living is rough. I recommend purchasing a free standing house.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 PM
PvZ

4 posts, read 20,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Talk about crabby.
No one forced you to read or answer.
Must be one of those parents I often see yelling at the kid in public.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Ahh... no. Whether you live in an apartment or a free-standing house, basic consideration for your neighbors is in order.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
*yawn* we haven't had a "Kids and parents these days suck" thread for quite some time, so I guess we're due.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 132,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
I will! Letting kids be loud rowdy KIDS at home is a personal choice. "Cry it out" is a parental choice. As long as they aren't being heathens in public its all good.

Apartment living is rough. I recommend purchasing a free standing house.
What makes you think if a child can't behave at home, it'll behave outside? HA!
And secondly letting the children be rowdy at home is their choice and using the cry it out method is also their choice. So if I decided to take my speakers and blast heavy metal music all day and all night, would that be ok because it's MY choice? Or if I let my dog howl and bark throughout the night because it doesnt bother me and if it others it doesnt matter?
Have RESPECT for others around you, it doesnt matter if you live in a apartment, condo, townhouse, row house, free standing home or whatever else it may be.

Last edited by c1tydweller; 01-30-2013 at 02:48 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,345 times
Yeah, it is the new paradigm; to be your kids friend. That always works out well. We all know kids need friends, not parents. What could parenting actually do?

Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Kids don't come with an off switch. If you have four kids crammed into an apartment, there's going to be some noise sometimes.

Even one kid can make a lot of noise. My oldest was born with inguinal hernias. Before they were diagnosed and repaired, she used to spend 10 to 12 hours a day screaming in pain, no matter how we tried to comfort her. Our apartment walls were thin and there was nothing we could do to stop her crying. We moved when she was 10 months old to an apartment where her bedroom didn't share a wall with any other unit (the hernias were repaired by then, we were just concerned about normal kid noise at that point).

In my experience, complaining to apartment management about an infant crying will not do any good. Usually, they won't even tell you there's been a complaint. My youngest used to cry now and then in the middle of the night. The people next door would bang on the walls (which only made her cry longer). They also complained about us once a week to the office. The only way I ever found out was because my friend worked in the office, she told me as a friend, not with a note in our file or anything like that, that the same neighbor had complained about us 12 times. I went to talk to the neighbor and he said no, he hadn't been complaining, that he had kids and he understood that kids just had to cry sometimes and they didn't always pick good times to do it.

Anyhow, it's not even an issue of having respect for your neighbors...sometimes your kid is going to cry and it's just going to happen. What are you supposed to do? You can't assume that someone is letting the baby cry it out because they cry for 15 or 20 minutes. You can be holding the kid and have them screaming and crying the whole time, haven't you ever seen that in a grocery store? Sure, in a grocery store the parent can leave and take the baby home, but what do you do when you are home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting