Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:45 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,598 times

Advertisements

mjb68,
Yes st aug is a great city to live but we live out of the city limits in more a suburb area.

I just spoke to my son's room mom and I got a 30 minute explanation about why they don't let their kids dress up. Satan and sacrificing were the words that were given, but IMO kids getting candy from the neighbors doesn't bring that on. To each their own I guess!

Old 10-24-2007, 01:55 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,958 times
I just went with my 10 y/o daughter looking for costumes. I couldn't believe how "trashy" some of the costumes they have for these young girls. Ripped up fishnet stockings, short skirts,etc.
We do disagree on everyday clothing, what is "trashy" (as my hubby and I call it) and what is stylish.
Sorry, just had to vent a bit!
I'm dressing up as a nurse (in scrubs) for my kids parties at school. It's fun and the kids LOVE to see the adults dressed up, too.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:16 PM

895 posts, read 4,247,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcim72 View Post
I have a question I am embarrassed to ask at my kids school, but I arranging the halloween party and have been told not use the word halloween, but rather fall themed snack. I am new to this area (N. Fl) and know it's conservative but who does halloween offend? I'm curious.
I know. I know. It's not like when we were kids! I just moved from Ponte Vedra Beach and went through this stuff when we lived there. Joys of the Bible belt! People look at it two ways -- 1. It's a kids holiday that's about candy, dressing up and having fun or 2. It's satanic. It cracks me up that we're not allowed to celebrate "Halloween". My daughter's elementary school just sent a note home telling us what kind of costumes the children can't wear! (no witches, ghosts, goblins, monsters or anything with blood). And Thanksgiving is not about religious freedom, Pilgrims, feasting or being thankful but about sharing a meal with friends. That is what I was told. It was news to me.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:07 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times
In response to the "fall theme" versus Halloween. I've never heard of that, I live in a very religious area and all the churches are having Halloween parties and so are the schools. My church (catholic), which is different then all the ones close by my house, had a Halloween party last Saturday night and a Dungeon of Doom haunted house underneath the church. What religion are you guys talking about here, just curious.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:02 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,958 times
I also live/grew up in a Bible belt. The school doesn't want any costumes of a violent nature - you can't blame them for that. But the church's have Halloween"Fun Fairs" that you can wear your costume to and play games and stuff. It's fun and safe for the kids.
There is not "Christmas" Break or parties, though, it is "winter" break/party at school. This is mainly a Baptist/Christian area, but a lot of Catholics, too.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:33 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
I was a little taken back when my dear friend told me her daughters family does not celebrate Halloween. It is their religion. She said Halloween celebrates the devil. That may not be her exact wording but that is how I understood it. I personally have always felt it was just a time for the kids to have a good time dressing up in their costumes and to have some fun. It has always been my daughters favorite holiday--and she is 26 years old now. Now she and her hubbie and their baby boy all dress up. I guess there are the devil costumes and scary things....Suppose it's all in the way a person looks at it!! It's so strange now days...can't say Merry Christmas, don't call Halloween "Halloween" don't mention Easter....I have to wonder if we are talking the majority of people or only a few????

Old 09-19-2018, 06:50 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
It's been a few years since I've had kids young enough to Trick-or-treat, but I'll add that even in non-Bible belt parts of the country, the Fall Festival has usurped Halloween for school celebrations. In our school district, the kids were certainly allowed to dress up, within limitations, and there was a costume parade at the local Elementary if the kids were in school that day (many times Fall Break coincided with Halloween), but the day was called Fall Festival rather than Halloween.

As for the OP's question, I stopped dressing up for Halloween once I became a teenager. It's just not my thing.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^In my school district, in the same metro area as randomparent, above, Halloween is celebrated as such, I believe school by school. Back in 1987, the year my youngest was born, and before I had kids in the district, there was a big flap at the local elementary school that my kids later went to. First the Halloween parties were cancelled, then they were reinstated. What a mess.
https://apnews.com/537c798413aed98c354b53028bebdb73

My husband was usually the one who went out with the kids and I stayed home to give out candy; he nor I wore costumes. When I worked as a public health nurse, we were allowed to wear costumes to work on Halloween if we didn't have any home visits to do. Imagine opening your door to a witch or a ghost carrying a nurses' bag. When I worked in a pediatricians' office, we could wear Halloween-themed scrubs, but no costumes in the sense of disguises.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:38 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Our neighborhood loves halloween, and I'd say most families with young kids (younger than 10 years old) have themed costumes.

I'm not big into Halloween, so my preference would be to shut off all the lights and go out during prime candy hours, but my kids and husband won't let me, so I usually get stuck sitting in the driveway passing out candy.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:52 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
I don't like dressing up, but I will if the kid's request it. Last year they were a pair of Red Riding Hoods so I got to wear a paper wolf head. I still use it to chase them into the bath or play "3 little pigs."

This year DD is going to be a unicorn (as of today) and DS is going to be a superhero (as of today), so I think I'm off the hook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting