Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:49 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,683,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I don't do motion very well. Once when I was a child I got stuck on the top of a ferris wheel for 3 hours and I remember that nightmare well. I've never mentioned it to my kids cause I didn't want to project my fear onto them.

When we went to Orlando, I barfed on the kiddie tea cups ride. I told you I don't do motion very well!
I don't do the Teacups, but will do roller coasters. . If the teacups do you wrong, avoid Mission Space
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
See, I went on that ride once and was bored silly. Different strokes for different folks. I'll take Ghostrider thank you very much.
What is Ghostrider?

Old 02-26-2013, 02:00 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,867,781 times
From my personal standpoint, I have been to DW, and it must be seen at least once. I went for the first time at age 16, it was just the magic kingdom at that point. Went again with my daughter when she was 2, and my sister was living inFla at that time. Then in 1997, my 2 nd husband had never been, neither had my 2 other kids, so we bought Birnbaums guide to DW with kids, which helps. I spent 11,000, and I dont regret it. My kids had a blast, so did the hubby, who was killed a few years later. But, he got to do something he always wanted. The kids still remember fondly and are grateful! There are things you can do to save money when going. Read the guide. It really is worth it.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:39 PM

705 posts, read 1,755,477 times
Quote:
and your kids are a bit superficial and feel like they want to win a popularity contest at school.
W.T.F. seriously? Thanks, but my kids are good, geeky, booksmart non sporty non popular boys, thankyouverymuch. good GRIEF.

Oh, and the discussion about rides? My 12 year old's favorite ride is the Carousel of Progress. (I told ya - geeky)

Old 02-26-2013, 03:28 PM

6,457 posts, read 6,630,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post

I'd love to hear from the children of the anti-theme-park people...I'd bet they'd like to go at least once, though maybe not with their parents.
If they own a television set, then yes, of course, all kids want to go to Disney World!....for the same reason they want to eat PopTarts and Cap'n Crunch for breakfast, and why they want an X-box, and see the latest Batman movie. It's called fantastic marketing.

Some parents prefer natural versus manmade destinations, and I do think seeing the real world (Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, visiting a foreign country) provides a richer, more educational experience for children. But as evidenced by some posters here, there truly is a mindset (sometimes spoken, sometimes unspoken) in our society that every good parent will take their children to Disney World at least once. And THAT is really my only beef with DW.

FWIW, we did take our kids to DW. Once.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:38 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,709,652 times
Everest in Animal Kingdom is uh-mazing.

I don't do little spinning around in circles rides either...no carousels, no Dumbo, no Tea-cups. But roller-coasters! Love 'em...upside down, inside out, backwards...fabulous!

Old 02-26-2013, 03:55 PM

353 posts, read 579,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And you noticed this how? Just curious if you were there as an average tourist.
No, I am local. It is only 1 hour away. I observed it from coffee shop. It had a window with the view and you can see people walking by and there are places to sit...then you see a creep trying to talk to a child that got a bit behind in the crowd...Eerie gut feeling that something wasn't right... Ya know... Suppose to be a safe place for kids, ya...

Old 02-26-2013, 03:59 PM

353 posts, read 579,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post

Screw Disneyworld. I'd rather take my kids on a tour of Chernobyl for a family vacation!
Yay, for the Ukrainians!

Old 02-26-2013, 04:03 PM

Tour Plan to Chernobyl: Nuclear Plant, Pripyat Red Forest, back to chernobyl

I'm really going to do this one day

ETA, I have a fascination of ghost town and one that had a population over 100,000 and has been essentially frozen in time is on the top of my list

Old 02-26-2013, 04:19 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,001,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_fox13 View Post
No, I am local. It is only 1 hour away. I observed it from coffee shop. It had a window with the view and you can see people walking by and there are places to sit...then you see a creep trying to talk to a child that got a bit behind in the crowd...Eerie gut feeling that something wasn't right... Ya know... Suppose to be a safe place for kids, ya...
I'm confused. Are you saying it is dangerous because it is so crowded and so it affords pedophiles an opportunity to kidnap children? In this scenario, the danger seems to stem from the parents not supervising their children properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting