Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:35 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
The danger in this is that they get to university but they have been coasting so they have to develop their study skills. I was young in my class and I still never had to try very hard in HS. I did the things you mention-- did a foreign exchange, took AP classes and then even took college courses at a local university, extracurriculars. Then I became a freshman at a large university and I had a tough adjustment.

It certainly would have been worse if I had waited a year to go to school. But I would not encourage my kids to coast. It does not serve you well in the real world.
Maybe "coast" isn't the right word. I mean since that's not an area where there is much of a struggle, the kid should just see it as a blessing and focus their energy instead on other areas of development.

I'm sure lot of other kids would love to devote more time to being in community theater or part of the band.... but they're struggling with their homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 10:22 AM

98 posts, read 706,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Interesting that you only mention size, not academics, not emotional or social maturity.

Of course the things you mention here are of more importance than size! Wow. Sorry if that is the way I came across. I thought that consideration to academics, social and emotional maturity is a given for any aware parent to consider and it has been discussed at length by previous posters. I was just trying to convey some of what my husband has communicated about being the smallest boy in the grade. He definitely feels it affected him- as shallow as it may be.

Also, both his younger brother and my younger brother had Fall birthdays and started at age 4 and were both held back. That really caused a great deal of emotional back lash for my brother and he still talks about "being held back" to this day! My point is, sometimes it is hard to know at age 4, 5 or 6 how an early start to kinder might affect the child later on down the road. But I agree with many who have posted here. It is definitely specific to the individual child. I have another friend who was not allowed to start her son in kinder and he has a Sept 3rd birthday. When he finally did start school he was a behavior problem because he was bored out of his mind. Turns out he is academically gifted but socially it would not have been good for him to have started earlier so the school was able to accomodate his needs by placing him in the Gifted and Talented program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting