Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 11:33 AM

334 posts, read 716,501 times

Advertisements

Yes, but I could count the times on one hand. In retrospect, I deserved it a lot more. My daughter was spanked only once, and that was just one easy swat on the bottom for running into the road.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:10 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,195 times
Throughout my elementary and highschool education, teachers all had paddles. The principal also had a paddle. I got paddled more times than I can remember. And those teachers all had undergraduate degrees or masters.

If my parents found out I got paddled at school, I'd probably have gotten another at home.

I now have a Grad degree and have been pretty successful in my own business.

Was any of that detrimental to me? Did I think my Parents or teachers were wrong? No. I'd love to still have my Parents around today if it were possible. They were good people, who taught me good values, and they were very intelligent.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-27-2013, 01:19 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Throughout my elementary and highschool education, teachers all had paddles. The principal also had a paddle. I got paddled more times than I can remember. And those teachers all had undergraduate degrees or masters.

If my parents found out I got paddled at school, I'd probably have gotten another at home.

Was any of that detrimental to me? Did I think my Parents or teachers were wrong? No. I'd love to still have my Parents around today if it were possible. They were good people, who taught me good values, and they were very intelligent.

Posted with TapaTalk
If it really worked, why would you have needed to be on the receiving end more than once?

All those who spank, because "they were spanked and it didn't do them any harm", make me wonder if they ever even attempted other means of correction.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If it really worked, why would you have needed to be on the receiving end more than once?

All those who spank, because "they were spanked and it didn't do them any harm", make me wonder if they ever even attempted other means of correction.
Lol.....because each time it was for something else.

As if once you explain to a child that something they did was wrong means they never had to be told again?

I could easily turn that around and say if sitting my Son down and calmly telling him to stop being mean to his Sister worked, why did I have to tell him that 1,000 times?

Posted with TapaTalk

Last edited by Bludy-L; 09-27-2013 at 01:38 PM..

Old 09-27-2013, 01:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:

Posted with TapaTalk
This got me thinking.

When my kids were little, I did spank them a few times, not often but a few times. One time, I spanked my son (who was about 8) right before he went off to school (long story, but he deserved it!). His teacher asked why he was so sad, and he told her his mommy spanked him that morning.

WELL. This teacher actually CALLED CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES AND REPORTED ME. They came to each school my kids were at - IMMEDIATELY - and interviewed all of them separately. Pulled them out of class to do it! You can imagine how freaked out my kids were -my oldest daughter, who was 14 at the time, called me in an absolute panic! Immediately after that call, my phone rang again, and it was CPS, informing me of what they had done - and also informing me that there was not even a need for a home visit, because after interviewing my children, it was obvious that they were not abused in any way.

OMG, I was so furious. I called that teacher and told her this:

"You are employed by a school which paddles children with a 2 x 4 board with holes drilled in it. I would never DREAM of hitting any of my kids with a board. And yet you have the nerve to call CPS because my 8 year old was pouting over a spanking he got from his mother who loves him - a spanking which left not a mark on him. You scared my kids to death, and upset our family far worse than the spanking he got this morning could ever upset any of us."

She said haughtily, "I don't agree with spanking, and if your son tells me you've spanked him again, I'll report you again."

I told her then, "Do you report the principal of the school you work for when he HITS KIDS WITH A BOARD? I didn't think so. If my son needs a spanking again, I'm going to spank him. And if you call CPS on me again, I'll see you and the school district in court."

Since I rarely spanked my kids, this was never an issue again but I promise you, I would have taken that school district to court in a second if they'd ever given me any more trouble. That being said, I found the whole thing very ironic. They thought it was OK to hit kids with a board, but it's not OK for a mother to spank a child at home? Give me a break.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This got me thinking.

When my kids were little, I did spank them a few times, not often but a few times. One time, I spanked my son (who was about 8) right before he went off to school (long story, but he deserved it!). His teacher asked why he was so sad, and he told her his mommy spanked him that morning.

WELL. This teacher actually CALLED CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES AND REPORTED ME. They came to each school my kids were at - IMMEDIATELY - and interviewed all of them separately. Pulled them out of class to do it! You can imagine how freaked out my kids were -my oldest daughter, who was 14 at the time, called me in an absolute panic! Immediately after that call, my phone rang again, and it was CPS, informing me of what they had done - and also informing me that there was not even a need for a home visit, because after interviewing my children, it was obvious that they were not abused in any way.

OMG, I was so furious. I called that teacher and told her this:

"You are employed by a school which paddles children with a 2 x 4 board with holes drilled in it. I would never DREAM of hitting any of my kids with a board. And yet you have the nerve to call CPS because my 8 year old was pouting over a spanking he got from his mother who loves him - a spanking which left not a mark on him. You scared my kids to death, and upset our family far worse than the spanking he got this morning could ever upset any of us."

She said haughtily, "I don't agree with spanking, and if your son tells me you've spanked him again, I'll report you again."

I told her then, "Do you report the principal of the school you work for when he HITS KIDS WITH A BOARD? I didn't think so. If my son needs a spanking again, I'm going to spank him. And if you call CPS on me again, I'll see you and the school district in court."

Since I rarely spanked my kids, this was never an issue again but I promise you, I would have taken that school district to court in a second if they'd ever given me any more trouble. That being said, I found the whole thing very ironic. They thought it was OK to hit kids with a board, but it's not OK for a mother to spank a child at home? Give me a break.
The Supreme Court in my State has ruled that Parents are within their rights to spank a child. That's not giving anyone the right to abuse a child, but simple spanking is not legally abuse.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-27-2013, 01:41 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
The Supreme Court in my State has ruled that Parents are within their rights to spank a child. That's not giving anyone the right to abuse a child, but simple spanking is not legally abuse.

Posted with TapaTalk
You will find that due process and assumption of innocence can be suspended where investigation into child abuse is concerned. As in this case, you will find that zealots can make matters pretty tough for well intentioned parents.

I don't think this is the most compelling rationale against spanking. I think its failure in efficacy at anything good can stand on its own. But truth is a good thing to be acquainted with regardless.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:48 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Corporal punishment was in place where I went to school, I thought it was an appalling method of discipline.

Just a reminder that certain professions are Mandatory Reporters. Reporting is not done on a whim.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:52 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
I was spanked as a child and at school. I deserved it most of the time. Wow lookie here, I don't need therapy.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:56 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
You will find that due process and assumption of innocence can be suspended where investigation into child abuse is concerned. As in this case, you will find that zealots can make matters pretty tough for well intentioned parents.

I don't think this is the most compelling rationale against spanking. I think its failure in efficacy at anything good can stand on its own. But truth is a good thing to be acquainted with regardless.
I agree.

Actually, I'm not a big proponent of spanking -as far as discipline goes, it's not the greatest tool in the bag, though I also don't think the occasional, controlled spanking done when a parent is calm is going to leave any lasting emotional (let alone physical damage) to anyone.

I would have hated to actually fight for the right to spank a child, in court, especially since I did it so rarely, and reluctantly. That being said, I was not going to allow some zealot to intimidate me and harass my family and frighten my kids over some ideological idea she had - and one that was absolutely at odds with the system who was depositing her paycheck each month!

I have to give CPS credit where credit was due - the investigator actually apologized to me and explained why he had had to interview each child, but we ended the conversation on a light, laughing note and he actually complimented me on the behavior of my kids and assured me repeatedly that he didn't suspect a bit of abuse.

Even so - that's a big gun for a teacher to pull out, especially when there are no other indications of abuse. I thought it was highly inappropriate. Just about as inappropriate as someone calling CPS because they see a mother pop her hyperactive youngun on the thigh to get them to sit down in a cart.

There are enough real cases of real abuse out there we should be worried about. If someone feels the urge to get involved, call the SPCA about that poor dog that's chained to a tree all day, or those kids down the street who have bruises on their arms all the time. Volunteer at a local shelter. Get involved with Big Brother/Big Sister. But don't call CPS based on ideology alone.

One final note on that story - that particular teacher was terminated at the end of that school year. I have no idea why. But personally, I was pleased that she wouldn't be involved with my kids or family any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting