Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:23 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I did not say or expect you to "agree" with me.

I was just answering your question as to "why" a parent might spank.

We will have to agree to disagree on your definition of "hitting".
Spanking is hitting, how else could you define it?

Old 09-28-2013, 10:37 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Spanking is hitting, how else could you define it?
A swat with the palm of a hand against a padded diaper or a few layers of clothing is not the same as "hitting" someone with a closed fist in a punching way.

Let's just agree to disagree so the thread does not veer off topic.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:41 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
A swat with the palm of a hand against a padded diaper or a few layers of clothing is not the same as "hitting" someone with a closed fist in a punching way.

Its still hitting though, the shape of the hand or the strength of the hit does not change the basic definition. Honestly your argument sounds like my ex's argument that he wasn't really hitting me because he didn't break any bones. Hitting is hitting.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:43 AM

I bring your attention to the original post:

Were you spanked as a child?

I don't want to get into whether it's right or wrong. Just a simple yes or no

Old 09-28-2013, 11:19 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:

Hitting does not require a closed fist. I think having to use happy words to justify spanking is very on topic.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:49 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
If you read closely, she clearly said that no matter how many times she verbally reprimanded her daughter, she would still run in the street or parking lot.

So saying " there was really no need for it, why do it" is completely off base and counter to what was said.

The only thing that actually DID work was a swat. Verbal reprimands were useless.

Posted with TapaTalk
That is because verbal reprimands are not effective. But, usually, spanking works only in the short term and kids do go right back to running into the street or parking lot unless they understand the danger. Rewards for playing safely actually work better.

People overestimate the effectiveness of spanking because we have "selective inattention." We do not remember when spanking fails because it contradicts what we want to believe. This is partly cultural and partly because we don't want to relate any of our adult problems to spanking and condemn our parents for this. The harmful effects of spanking often do not show up immediately, but after several years. These include lower self-esteem, higher frequencies of crime, spousal abuse and depression. Not every child experiences these, but many do. It also leads to an obsession with control, order and obedience. Both extremes - rebellion against authority and submission to authority characterize people who have this mindset. While not all children experience these consequences, spanking makes them much more likely. There is evidence of this on this forum from posts by many parents who favor spanking.

Another problem is that many parents do not have the tools to replace spanking, so they see their children as needing to be spanked when if they understood tools that do not require punishment, they might be able to replace spanking and still have well-behaved children.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-28-2013 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation

Old 09-28-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I don't want to get into whether it's right or wrong. Just a simple yes or no.
I was spanked once as a child.

How about you Phil?

Old 09-28-2013, 12:09 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,105 times
Folks, enough with the back and forth about the pros and cons of spanking. If you wish to do this, you're welcome to open a discussion about it in the Philosophy or Psychology forum.

For this thread, please answer the OP's question without trying to convince each other of the benefits or consequences of spanking. And likewise, change one's opinion about it either. Thanks!

Old 09-28-2013, 12:12 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Folks, enough with the back and forth about the pros and cons of spanking. If you wish to do this, you're welcome to open a discussion about it in the Philosophy or Psychology forum.

For this thread, please answer the OP's question without trying to convince each other of the benefits or consequences of spanking. And likewise, change one's opinion about it either. Thanks!
That would be the most boring thread on C-D then....just a bunch of posts that say "yes" or "no".

Unless you are doing a poll, what good comes from a thread like that?

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-28-2013, 06:08 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
That would be the most boring thread on C-D then....just a bunch of posts that say "yes" or "no".

Unless you are doing a poll, what good comes from a thread like that?

Posted with TapaTalk
Then let it be boring! It does no more good to derail a thread with endless bickering. You have every right to do as I suggested and start your own thread about something more exciting...albeit in the appropriate forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting