Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 07:42 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,524,970 times

Advertisements

What do you think of a parent who puts hot sauce in a toddler's mouth for saying naughty words? The mother is a teacher. The child is obviously too young to even know what she is saying. This is the first child, and parents are in the early 30's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 07:50 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,222,523 times
My FIL always said the more one reacts the more power the word possesses. We took a very laid back approach to the experimentation with language, corrected gently and then reminded our kids to not use whatever the word was.

Hot sauce, soap etc. Not a method I agree with at all, I think it is an example of lazy parenting that is harsh in nature.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:56 AM

170 posts, read 322,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
My FIL always said the more one reacts the more power the word possesses. We took a very laid back approach to the experimentation with language, corrected gently and then reminded our kids to not use whatever the word was.

Hot sauce, soap etc. Not a method I agree with at all, I think it is an example of lazy parenting that is harsh in nature.
I don't know about this one. However, some parents do "slap" their kids lightly for such mannerisms.

IMO, it's all unnecessary but sometimes there isn't a great alternative.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:05 AM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Two and a half? They are really too young to even know what they are saying.
(And they had to hear it from somewhere)
So yes that is rather harsh.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:08 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
That's popular where we live along with the soap, I think it's ridiculous. If they're too young to understand what it means they have been exposed to it enough to have picked it up, ergo, perhaps the parents need to put hot suace in their own mouths. When they are older they all experiment, and it boils down to discipline in general. If a parent can't control their child using bad language, the problems are greater than language.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:39 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,313 times
I think that is abusive... like you said, the child is too young to understand what they are saying & they had to have heard it somewhere. Just explain to the child that word is not appropriate for them to use & show them there will be consistent consequences if they continue to use the language.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:44 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Terrible idea.

The kids is hearing the words from somewhere. That's what the parents need to look into.

They also need to rethink their approach to parenting.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:59 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,194 times
How cruel to set a child up to fail and then punish him through physical pain when he does. The hot sauce / soap belongs in the mouth of whoever taught the TWO YEAR OLD such language! If you don't want a cussing child, don't expose him to swearing. That becomes increasingly difficult as the kid grows up, but at age 2 the parent still has tremendous control over what enters those little ears and brain. If a 'freak accident' unfortunately occurs (like the child overhears a curse word from a stranger's mouth while out in public) soap and hot sauce is still not the answer for a toddler who literally is not capable of knowing better.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:26 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Hot sauce I think is abusive. My parents did soap and it worked. We all laugh about it.

I also think it's abusive to have people using foul language on family members in the home. I would never tolerate my own kids being cursed out constantly and verbally abuse, they can learn in the home that they never have to accept verbal abuse.

Some parents think it's cute when small children tell them to "f" off or call their mother or sister a b*tch to her face, tell dad he can go to hell and whatever ugly vulgur term they can think up. You simply have to decide if you think it's cute and acceptable or else you put a stop to it and make it very clear it won't go on in your house.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:08 AM

687 posts, read 1,493,628 times
I always knew from the word choice if my kids got the words from me or someone else. If it was one of mine (What the hell???) I reminded them not to say it, and it served as a reminder to me to watch my mouth. Most of them started in kindergarten. All I ever had to do was say, "That's a bad word, please don't use it again." Seemed silly to punish the kids for saying a word they hadn't really heard before, and didn't know what it meant.

The other day my 19-month-old grandson stomped his foot and said, "Ah, shi." It may not have been full words, but the way he did it, we all knew he got it from mom (my daughter). She was so embarrassed and said, "Guess I need to watch my language." Lesson learned, but sometimes "shi" happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting