Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 06:59 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,579,284 times

Advertisements

With no disrespect, but this reminds me of a story.
There was a hair to the throan born in king's family. Overall handsome and healthy lad. But with only one impairement - he did not speak. Years passed, but he never said a word. He was seen by best doctors and what else, but no one ever had it figured out.
One day, at the age of 27, during dinner, he suddenly opens his moth and says - soup is over salted. Everyone is in awe! He spoke! King and queen rush to him, in tears of happiness, and cry - son, you are healed! Hosanna! But why you did not speak for all those years?
Why should I, says prince? Everything was perfect!

Which, also, reminds me of another story.

A young man is accepted to a monastery, but he is allowed to express only one word a year, for 3 years.
So the first year passes. He is placed in front of abbot, who hands him a board and piece of chalk. Man writes "food" on it.
And the 2nd year passes, and he is in front of abbot again. This time, he writes "is".
And so the 3rd year comes to an end, and he has that board and chalk in his hand again. Quickly, he draws "awful".
What is wrong with you - yells at him abbot - you have been here for three years, and all you do, is complaining.

Once again - no disrespect to your concern. Maybe it's all perfect though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 07:49 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,189 times
No offense but why are you asking a bunch of strangers on a website about this? Your child's pediatrician is the one you need to speak to.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Are you using sippy cups? I was worried because my daughter didn't speak in words we could understand, and the pediatrican said to take away the sippy cups. Within a month, we could understand what she was saying. I never used them at all with my younger daughter and she was talking much earlier.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times
As others have said, boys can be late talkers. My son was a champion babbler, but didn't really start to say words until he was 20 months old, then he wouldn't shut up. My aunt told me her brother didn't talk until he was well over 3. So it's probably nothing to worry about, though as others have pointed out, you should ask your pediatrician as we're not qualified to give advice.

However...my best friend of almost 60 years now, who I grew up next door to, is almost exactly one year old than I am. My father told me that once when both our families were in the back yard when I was 3 and she was 4, her dad wondered why I could talk so much better than she could. My dad suggested that perhaps she couldn't hear very well, and sure enough, they had her tested and she had pretty severe hearing loss. She had to go to a speech pathologist for several years as a child, and wore two hearing aids until 2 years ago when she finally got a cochlear implant.

*Just* in case a child doesn't talk until a later age, it never hurts to have their hearing checked. But if you child is babbling a lot, it probably hears fine but just isn't enunciating yet.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:26 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
There was a hair to the throan
Hopefully your child doesn't take 22 years to learn how to spell.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:03 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
My son did not speak until he was 2 1/2... his big sister talked plenty, and he did not have to!
My youngest brother had 6 siblings who spoke for him until he was well past 3. He started walking around the same time. Come to think on it, that was at the start of a school year and he was the only one left at home. He had to learn then.

I agree that kids all have their own time tables for every milestone. Some good advice here.

Just remember this, no matter what age he starts talking, when he graduates college no one will be able to tell he was a late talker.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
My son is will turn two in May but he still hasn't said a word. He interacts great and responds to people. He understands much of what we say to him and in all respects is a really happy little guy. Just isn't talking. Should we be concerned?
No. I would not be at all concerned, it's more common than you think for kids to not be talking at age 2, some don't start talking until age 3 or so. What is fascinating is how these kids can communicate non-verbally.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:14 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,233 times
As long as he is babbling and understands a fair bit of what you say then there's no need to worry. He's probably just focusing on another part of development at the moment, my toddler was slower to start talking than most other kids I know but she was so focused on physical development (climbing, jumping etc.)

Old 03-07-2013, 05:06 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,071 times
Quote:
My son is will turn two in May but he still hasn't said a word. He interacts great and responds to people. He understands much of what we say to him and in all respects is a really happy little guy. Just isn't talking. Should we be concerned?
YES, you should be concerned. I had the same situation with my son. He was my first so I didnt know. I thought it was odd that he wasnt talking by age 2. By age 3 he still really didnt talk much, at least it wasnt intelligible. He certainly could hear, because he would follow directions. Everyone said, "boys are slower, dont worry about it, etc". Well it turns out, he could hear, but he had excessive wax in his ear, so what he was hearing was muffled.

It affected him in so many ways. Because his hearing was off, his fine motor skills were off. So he was late doing a lot of things, holding utensils, tying shoes, etc. He had to do several years of intensive speech therapy. He speaks fine now, but even as an adult, his motor skills are not good.

So RUN, do not walk, and have his hearing tested. If he does have a hearing impairment, make sure he gets occupational, physical, and speech therapy. You would be suprised at how intertwined they are.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:16 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,709 times
Quote:
Not necessarily a sign of a problem. I know of a child whose first utterance was a complete sentence: "I'm ready to go now!" that child grew up to be an exceptionaly gifted adult. If he interacts normally otherwise I wouldn't worry. He may just be deciding whether you're worth talking to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting