Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 01:44 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFather View Post
Yes, I am talking about the other children. I called them an animal because that is what animals do. They bite. Can't you tell that I am a little angry about this. Excuse me for not being politicaly correct, but I call it as I see it. I have never in my life even heard of a child bitting another child. NEVER! Oh sure, I have heard of children being ruff and agressive, but never have I seen any child bite another.
You are very sheltered if you have never heard of a child biting another child.

How old is your daughter? Toddlers bite (and hit) when they are frustrated because they have not learned to use words yet. Now, that said, the daycare should be watching carefully and shadowing the children who are likely to bite so that they can prevent this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 02:49 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,121 times
This happened to us, too. Yes, it got us upset. The daycare handled it, in about the same way. No, the child is probably not an animal, anymore than yours is. If it happens again, and the daycare does not kick the other kid out, then you should probably switch daycares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFather View Post
My daughter has been going to daycare for about a year. All the children have been in the same class for about the same time. They all know each other and have been in the same room. Two months ago, a animal attacked my daughter and bit her on the chest. The director of the center removed him from the room due to the boy's history of agressive behavior and talked to the parents. I Thought it was done until the other day when my wife came home and was told a girl attacked my child and bit her on the back right shoulder. Neither bite broke the skin and caused bleading, but caused a visible wound. This time the director talked to the parents, teachers, and kids. She told the parents of the animal who bit my child that if this happends again, their daughter would be removed from the daycare center and never allowed back. I had to take my child into the DR and get an antibiotic med just in case infection sets in. two different attacked, by two different children. Is there anything that I can do legaly to prevent this from happening again? I mean is there anything that I can do to prevent this from being a regular thing? People have told me that it is normal for children to bite other children. I am having a hard time believing this. My child has never, ever attacked any other child or hurt any other child before. I do not think she could even do harm if she had the chance. I think this it total BS and the parents should be thrown in jail for this, but this is America. I would love some advice on this before my child really gets hurt.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:08 PM

819 posts, read 1,592,465 times
Yes, little children do bite other little children. Even my precious, who can do no wrong, granddaughter tried to bite me once. She's 2 1/2 and it goes on in her day care. They handle it. It is very common. Probably your child will take their turn too. I can't get into you calling another child an animal. Your child will probably get bomped on the head by another kid. Unless you put them in a bubble there are gonna be mishaps. I reared three of the little persons and they finally outgrew stuff like this - except when they are acting like little kids again.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:27 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Why did you take your daughter to the doctor if the bite didn't break the skin? Also, why do you feel the need to talk about "animals" "attacking" your daughter? Some kids bite, but they grow out of it. My daughter was bitten at daycare and I didn't like it, but it never occurred to me that it was anything other than toddlers acting like toddlers. The daycare talked to everyone and that was the end of it.

If you don't think the adults at the daycare are paying enough attention to what is going on, you should move your child. But to talk about doing something "legally" is ridiculous.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:27 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I think it's natural and endearing for a father to feel so protective of his little girl. He might be slightly hyperbolic at the moment, but the sentiment behind it is really just wanting his daughter to be safe and happy.
I don't know about "endearing," but this type of over-reactive tendency will not serve him or his daughter well as they progress through her school years together.

OP, lots of kids are "biters." This is one case where I'm recommending that you read up on the internet about it. It's a phase that some kids go through.

Go see the head of the preschool tomorrow and demand to know what their policy is about biters. Then demand they follow it.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:30 PM

458 posts, read 611,194 times
Happened to my youngest son twice at around age 2 or 3 in childrens Sunday School! Kids bite, yes. and my son was nothing near agressive. In fact, I wished he would have bit back but.....go figure! I was highly upset! but dad, remove your child if you must, (hopefully you have many more years as a parent) and the "animal" reference, you might wanna change your mind/heart on that one....j/s

Old 03-07-2013, 03:49 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Why did you take your daughter to the doctor if the bite didn't break the skin? Also, why do you feel the need to talk about "animals" "attacking" your daughter? Some kids bite, but they grow out of it. My daughter was bitten at daycare and I didn't like it, but it never occurred to me that it was anything other than toddlers acting like toddlers. The daycare talked to everyone and that was the end of it.

If you don't think the adults at the daycare are paying enough attention to what is going on, you should move your child. But to talk about doing something "legally" is ridiculous.
Yes, I was scratching at my head at that. I think its odd that the doctor was willing to give an antibiotic med as well. Complete melodramatic overreaction. But it sounds like the daycare handled it properly. I hope that if the incidence happens again (with the same kids) that the daycare follow through and remove the kid(s) from the daycare.

I get the anger about your child being bitten, but the kids biting is normal. I have a nephew who will be 4 soon and he still bites (out of frustration, tiredness, et. c). The school handled it just fine, so now my nephews only bite his parents, not his classmates. He'll eventually grow out of it. I've seen it with other kids as well. Some I even tease when they get older about them being actual Ankle biters.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:13 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,514 times
My son was a biter when he was 2.
I was babysitting a 2 year old girl and he bit her a few times and drew blood. Nothing worked to get him to stop.
One day he bit the poor child on her forehead and drew blood. I could not believe he actually grabbed on to her and would not let go. I cleaned her and called her parents (who left her with me because other than this biting stuff, the two kids loved each other) and comforted her before dealing with my son.
Once she was calm and off playing again, I took my son into his bedroom and bit his arm HARD. I did not draw blood, but I did leave teeth marks and it did bruise.
He learned a hard lesson.
I know, I am an evil mother. I did what I had to do to stop the undesirable behavior. He had to know what the pain from biting felt like before he would stop doing it. (Just like I had to let him touch the hot oven door once to stop him from doing so again.)
I do not condone hurting a child to teach them a lesson, but sometimes that is exactly what some children need. (I am not talking about spanking or beatings.)

Biting is a sign of frustration more than anger. Toddlers can't always tell each other how they feel, so they often lash out at others. Usually by 3 or 4 they have grown past the biting and hitting because they can be understood when speaking and they can now understand the other children around them.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:22 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times
OP - If your child was the one doing the biting, would you like it if someone referred to her as an animal and threaten legal action? I think not. No one is ever pleased a child is bitten, however please take some time to understand young children's developmental behavior.

I am a professional child care provider and have been for over 20 years. I can say equivocally it is very common for some children to bite. Some are very easy for us to see it coming and prevent it, others bite for no apparent reason and can't be as easily prevented. Your child care has indeed taken steps to try to prevent it and since it was 2 separate children over 2 months who did the biting, it seems they have actually been successful. If they were not willing and able to do something, your child could be coming home daily with bites, and perhaps even numerous bites in one day.

Young children bite for many different reasons. Some bite because they are frustrated or angry and biting is a natural reaction until they learn to use their words to communicate that frustration and anger. Some bite because their mouth hurts due to teeth coming in or other soreness in the mouth and biting helps relieves the pain-this is why teething toys/necklaces were invented. Others bite because they know they can get a reaction from the other person or make them do what they want. Some even bite because they just want to see what happens.

There are many normal reactions to the frustration and pain besides biting for young children. Some children hit while others throw things. Some children run to mommy and cry while others throw themselves on the floor screaming. Very rarely does a young child shrug their shoulders and move on when they are frustrated, angry or in pain. They all have to be guided to an appropriate reaction and it takes time.

Once a child is able to communicate verbally and able to comprehend that biting hurts, then the chances of them doing so goes way down.

Just remember that it could be YOUR child who is biting and be thankful it is not.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:59 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,418 times
This guy thinks people need to go to jail because toddlers bite?

Dad, you need to gain some perspective.

Last edited by rohirette; 03-07-2013 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: I was unecessarily rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting