Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
They play video games, they watch TV, and they are surrounded by uncouth kids in both the middle school and yes, also the elementary school. I've been shocked by things my 5th grader has come home and told me, that he has heard in and around school. I have to correct them constantly on the casual comments that come from their gaming associations, someone is forever "owning," "pwning," or indeed "raping" someone else in those online multiplayer games. Interestingly, since this particular case came to public attention and we had several very serious talks about it, not only about the concept of consent, but about how it is equally unacceptable to be a bystander or indeed not act to prevent something like this...those casual rape comments have dwindled in their vocabulary. It has become a little more real for both of them.
That's an excellent point. Video game culture is terribly entrenched in misogyny & rape culture. If there's any indication that you are a female online you get swamped with all kinds of sexual propositions, rape jokes, & sometimes worse. Teens who play the games hear/see that & they become really desensitized to it.

There's also a lot of homophobic statements that are made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
I've thought more on this...It's the peer pressure thing that scares me the most.

Since my sons don't have sisters, I'm going to use their female cousin in a scenario. I'm going to ask them how they would feel if she were a victim. I know that they wouldn't partake, nor would they stand by and watch. They would defend her or at least call for help.

I think we have to make this hit home. Every girl is someone's sister, cousin or daughter.
Great idea, pointing that out to your sons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 06:09 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
A must read.

A Letter To My Son About Consent

Old 04-18-2013, 06:55 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That was great Zimbo, and, yes, a must read, must forward, must discuss with sons everywhere.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:54 PM

793 posts, read 1,341,155 times
Yes. Thank-you, Zim. I put it in my favorites.

Also, I want to be clear about this...Because being a female myself, I hope to God, that I'd never blame a victim. But, parents of daughters need to be blunt also.

Please teach your girls that No has to mean No. When a No actually means Yes, a young man will certainly be delighted, THIS TIME. But what about next time? What about the next girl? Her No might really mean No. Then what?

Last edited by Radio Flyer; 04-18-2013 at 08:16 PM..

Old 04-21-2013, 12:33 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Yes. Thank-you, Zim. I put it in my favorites.

Also, I want to be clear about this...Because being a female myself, I hope to God, that I'd never blame a victim. But, parents of daughters need to be blunt also.
I AM a victim. And I recognize that blaming the victim is real. But I do feel that people come to weird conclusions about how to educate their daughters based on this. It is not blaming the victim to make our daughters aware that these DB's exist, are real and won't take good care of them. The risks are real. And kids should know about them. It is not some round about message that makes the behavior ok. The behavior is real and it is there whether I think it is ok or not.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:35 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Great article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting