Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:39 AM

203 posts, read 517,250 times

Advertisements

I am 27, I moved out at 19 and got a land line in my apartment so I could use the internet. I didn't get a cellphone until I was 20-21 and my parents were not a part of that. My parents never paid for anything for me aside from food while I lived at home.

At 16 I got a job so I could pay for the gas and insurance on my (old, paid off) car so I could go to work. I don't think I ever actually made money but when your parents expect you to get a job you do.

I don't understand this mentality of parents paying for everything in their child's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:45 AM

22,575 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsaustin View Post

I don't understand this mentality of parents paying for everything in their child's life.
Seriously?
Covering $10 a month is "paying for everything in their child's life"?.

Not even close in my world.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:34 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsaustin View Post
I am 27, I moved out at 19 and got a land line in my apartment so I could use the internet. I didn't get a cellphone until I was 20-21 and my parents were not a part of that. My parents never paid for anything for me aside from food while I lived at home.

At 16 I got a job so I could pay for the gas and insurance on my (old, paid off) car so I could go to work. I don't think I ever actually made money but when your parents expect you to get a job you do.

This thread is not about that.

It is about parents, at their own discretion, providing light financial assistance to their young adult children who are trying to make their way in a very tough economy for millennials.

I have a FT job as a May 2012 college grad, but my mother has helped me out on occasion. I'm not happy that I end up needing her assistance sometimes. I'm hoping to advance in my career soon so I can be totally independent. I guess she figures me having a entry-level job in a high COL area like DC and putting experience on my resume will leave me better off and is cheaper for her than sitting in her house in Kentucky on unemployment not gaining any experience.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,970,743 times
My mom put me back on her cellphone plan at Christmas and got me an iPhone.
I pay her $40 a month, I don't even have to take it to her, I can just pay online or over the phone.
It's pretty nice.

I had a prepaid phone before that and my mom wanted to get me something nice because she'd seen all I sacrificed.

It's much better than paying $100+ a month for a decent phone with a decent carrier.

I love my phone, I love that I can pay a reasonable amount and I love the gratification that I get from knowing that the big cellphone companies can't gouge another person for their money.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:10 PM

355 posts, read 913,106 times
I pay for my newly out of the house 19 year old son's $30 phone bill. He pays his own rent, utilities and insurance and gas. I know he lives paycheck to paycheck.

If I didn't pay it, it would probably get shutoff and I'd never hear from him again.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:26 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Once kids are out of the house, they can either pick up their own plan or split the entire cost (not just the $10/month).
I was confused by this post. My husband's phone is our "main" line, so his is the most expensive. Each additional line adds $10 a month to our plan (including our 18 who is living away from home). Why would I expect her to pay half of the whole cost of our bill? Her phone line only costs $10. If we removed her phone, we would still be paying almost all of the bill anyway...

Is this what you were talking about? Making my teen child / adult pay for half of our plan?

Seems unreasonable to me...

Old 03-19-2013, 01:06 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I was confused by this post. My husband's phone is our "main" line, so his is the most expensive. Each additional line adds $10 a month to our plan (including our 18 who is living away from home). Why would I expect her to pay half of the whole cost of our bill? Her phone line only costs $10. If we removed her phone, we would still be paying almost all of the bill anyway...

Is this what you were talking about? Making my teen child / adult pay for half of our plan?

Seems unreasonable to me...
He didn't say "half" - he said split, which I assume means an equal share. Let's say we have a plan with 2 adults, 3 kids. When one becomes an adult, if they want to remain on the plan, pay 1/5 of it. Seems fair to me.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:44 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,069 times
I disagree. It would be unreasonable imho to expect my young-adult child to pay 4 times what their phone is actually costing me (this statement is based on my phone bill). It's hard enough to get your feet under you as you leave the nest without insisting that you pay for your siblings phones as well as your own (again, based on my phone bill).

Old 03-19-2013, 02:57 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I disagree. It would be unreasonable imho to expect my young-adult child to pay 4 times what their phone is actually costing me (this statement is based on my phone bill). It's hard enough to get your feet under you as you leave the nest without insisting that you pay for your siblings phones as well as your own (again, based on my phone bill).
How would he/she be paying for their sibling's phones by paying their own share, not theirs?

And um, I paid for my own phone once I went to college - didn't have one prior to that, had a beeper (late 90s) prior to that, which I paid for fully when I bought it at age 14. It wasn't very pricey, just don't get the plan with all the bells and whistles.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:58 PM

5 posts, read 8,901 times
I have a 21 year old niece who is going to a community college and still lives at home. Her phone bill is paid by her parents, but she pays for her car payments each month, gas, clothing, food, haircuts and anything else she needs besides toiletries (shower/bath stuff, toothpaste) that her mom will buy for her. It's kind of strange to think of all the stuff she independently pays for, yet her parents cover her phone bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting