Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 05:53 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times

Advertisements

This has been a interesting thread to read. I really don't think there is a wrong or right answer. It simply a personal choice. When my son was born we had crib set up in the bay window of our bedroom. I don't think me or my wife would have sleep well knowing he was on the second floor while we were on the first. Putting him in the bed with us was also a no go because we realize that none of use would have gotten any sleep if we chose this option. I say do what is best for you and your family. There is no right answer to this question.

Reggie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 06:27 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
I had all my kids start off in my room for the first month or two.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
We have a co-sleeper that will be right next to my bed and she will stay in that (hopefully or the swing) for the first 2 months. I like the idea of just staying in bed to feed her in the middle of the night without having to get up. I'm then hoping to introduce formula at night at 3 months and from there she'll go to the crib where my husband will feed her through out the night. That's the plan anyway! My master in two rooms, so the nursery now takes up one of them. It will get a wall and door next year.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:42 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
We have a co-sleeper that will be right next to my bed and she will stay in that (hopefully or the swing) for the first 2 months. I like the idea of just staying in bed to feed her in the middle of the night without having to get up. I'm then hoping to introduce formula at night at 3 months and from there she'll go to the crib where my husband will feed her through out the night. That's the plan anyway! My master in two rooms, so the nursery now takes up one of them. It will get a wall and door next year.
I formula fed both my daughters, and DH did a lot of the night feeding while I stayed in bed. My oldest is pregnant with our first grandchild, and she plans on co-sleeping and breastfeeding. I told my mother (the soon to be great-grandma) about my plan on getting her a co-sleeper and her response was that "it's a mistake to get your children used to being in your bedroom/bed". I agree with setting bedroom boundaries when kids are older, but I don't think it does any harm when they are that tiny. My mother kept us in a crib/playpen as soon as she could after we were born so we got used to it. It's funny how the generations go from "non-attachment" parenting to "over attachment" parenting - my daughter plans on carrying the baby around in a sling. Great-grandma's response? "It's going to kill her back." I was middle of the road - I used the crib and playpen a lot but still gave in to having them in bed with us frequently - not when we were sleeping, though.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:36 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I formula fed both my daughters, and DH did a lot of the night feeding while I stayed in bed. My oldest is pregnant with our first grandchild, and she plans on co-sleeping and breastfeeding. I told my mother (the soon to be great-grandma) about my plan on getting her a co-sleeper and her response was that "it's a mistake to get your children used to being in your bedroom/bed". I agree with setting bedroom boundaries when kids are older, but I don't think it does any harm when they are that tiny. My mother kept us in a crib/playpen as soon as she could after we were born so we got used to it. It's funny how the generations go from "non-attachment" parenting to "over attachment" parenting - my daughter plans on carrying the baby around in a sling. Great-grandma's response? "It's going to kill her back." I was middle of the road - I used the crib and playpen a lot but still gave in to having them in bed with us frequently - not when we were sleeping, though.
Yea, the generations are different as are cultures. I work with a diverse set of people and it's interesting to hear how different approaches are. We have so much space here in the states, but room sharing is common in other parts of world. Not just for babies and parents, but families. I got the idea of just keeping her in my room from a Vietnamese co-worker. Their 4 kids (one more on the way) all share and the young ones always stay with the parents (separate beds, same room) until they ask to move.

I have a sling. I also have a strap type thing. Good point about the back! We'll have to see how that goes as well.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:02 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Really depends on what kind of sleeper you are. I'm a deep sleeper and toss a lot, plus I like snuggling up in a thick blanket, so for me, in order to not smother DS, I ended up sleeping really badly and shallowly, I was really tense and afraid to move, afraid I'd pull the blanket over him, so I'd fall asleep for a short stretch of time and then wake up with a start, panicked every time, because I had absolutely no awareness of what could've happened while I was asleep. Took a couple of nights to figure out I got way better sleep with DS in a bassinet next to us, especially since I couldn't nurse lying down anyway.
Then don't cosleep.

But the idea that a person is too deep a sleeper to wake up if their child is crying next to them and yet can hear them in another room is hard to imagine.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:23 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
It won't kill her back. Slings are not new inventions, LOL. I wore my daughter in a sling to Disney World when she was a baby, and several older women said, "I wish those had been invented when I was a young mom..." I didn't point out that people around the world have been tying babies to their bodies for hundreds and thousands of years.

As far as the breastfeeding, that's a sign of the times and of better education about health matters. Everyone now knows that formula is second best to breast milk, and that breast milk should ideally be given exclusively for six months (obviously there will be a very small percentage of moms/babies for whom this is impossible). My mother wasn't told that, though, when she had me and my brothers... formula was seen as a perfectly acceptable, maybe even a more acceptable, option for everyone. Now there's a stigma attached.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:56 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Some slings are better than others, I used a ring sling and it did kill my back, had to stop carrying her in the sling at about 3 months.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:34 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Yeah. I'm not into the whole idea of co sleeping or having the baby in the room.
When I have a baby I'm sure by the end of the day ill want a break and want to watch tv in bed, talk with DB etc.....and not have to worry about keeping the baby awake.

A baby monitor is good enough.

LOL...........You will see the meaning of "sleeping like a baby" very soon! They sleep through trains...its unbelievable.

We had our kids in their own rooms/cribs at 6 weeks. Until then they slept in a bassinet in our bedroom.
That was also when we sleep trained them. Ours slept through the night before turning 3 months.

I would be more worried about this:
Many parents introduce solids before 4 months : CDC
Which is plain dumb!

Old 03-26-2013, 07:37 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,523,041 times
We had our baby in her crib in her own room at 2-3 months. By then she was pretty much sleeping a solid 8 hours. I think we were probably more lucky than most parents to have a baby who sleeps so well at night. Neither one of us wants a toddler or child sleeping in the bed with us, so we felt it best to get her in her own room ASAP. Just do whatever works for you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting