Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 07:25 AM

61 posts, read 115,807 times

Advertisements

If I'm being judgmental I didn't mean to. And I'm not anti cell phone, or electronic device etc. My concern is to many people let electronic devices take their lives over. Don't lose the personal connection that you have or once had with someone. I have also used my phone to avoid contact with certain people. There are situations where all electronic devices are useful. In my opinion if you are going out to eat, go out to eat and spend time with your family, if everyone thats at your table would rather be on their cell phone thats fine...but if your on your cell phone and your kids are trying to get your attention and can't because whatever is on your phone is more important then thats where I see a problem. Every situation is different for every family. If someone that drives you absolutely nuts starts rambling on and on and on, by all means take that fake phone call! Or if you and your family go out to eat just for something different to eat thats great even if you ALL take something to keep your mind busy and dont communicate. Just don't leave your child, spouse or company stranded while you have something more important to take care of on your phone, stay home if thats the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 07:28 AM

61 posts, read 115,807 times
On the other hand, I know I'm "old school", but thats ok with me!

Old 03-23-2013, 08:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I remember being a kid and roaming the neighborhood until dark. My mom didn't take me to the park or organize playdates, yet my days were filled with bikes, roller skates, stakeboards, Barbies, Legos, Star Wars figurines, football, footraces, hide and go seek, swimming, sprinklers, and chewing on weeds. Now I live in a world where not only am I expected to go to the park too, I must be emotionally engaged with whatever my kid is doing. I think the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:21 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I remember being a kid and roaming the neighborhood until dark. My mom didn't take me to the park or organize playdates, yet my days were filled with bikes, roller skates, stakeboards, Barbies, Legos, Star Wars figurines, football, footraces, hide and go seek, swimming, sprinklers, and chewing on weeds. Now I live in a world where not only am I expected to go to the park too, I must be emotionally engaged with whatever my kid is doing. I think the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

Exactly this. We deal with enough guilt as it is without having to endure the glare of other parents who feel superior because they don't have their own cell phones out at the moment.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer437 View Post
Just don't leave your child, spouse or company stranded while you have something more important to take care of on your phone, stay home if thats the case.
That is generally common courtesy. I really dislike going to a restaurant, or heck, eating dinner at my house with company over, to have people playing on their cell phones. It's rude.

However, going to a park, where your child's attention is occupied with playing with peers or even by themselves... I don't see the huge issue. It's called multitasking. Rarely do I see the parent who is so engrossed in their phone that they can't keep an eye on their child. Better than the helicopter parents, at least.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:36 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Since when has your cell phone been more important than your child? I know for many of you its not. But to often I see parents out and about with their child or children, paying no mind to them with their face buried in their cell phone. For instance last night my wife and myself along with our 3 month old child stopped at pizza hut for a quick bite. A father and 3 boys came in the door and I noticed from the time he walked through the door he was on his cell phone basically until they left. The two youngest boys probably around 8 or 10 yrs of age were all over pizza hut being loud raising hell. The only communication he had with them was to discipline them. I'm not trying to tell anyone how to parent, but do yourself and your children a favor...Put down the phone and give your children some love!!! I can't think of anything that could be more important on your phone than your children. Social media can be put on hold, it will be there when you are done. Which brings up another topic, one that I'm guilty of(except social media,i'm not a member)...the use of social media and texting....Creating a huge personal communication barrier. Sometimes its easier to text or send a message on facebook, but don't forget if its someone that has some meaning in your life its worth taking the time to either stop and see them or pick up the phone and call them, have the personal connection.

Would love to hear any opinions, thoughts or experiences. Obviously this is just the surface, we can go much more into depth, but my son just woke up...Time to show him some love!
Sounds like one extreme case (and overreaction by the original poster) and we don't know the topic of the conversation the man was having. Could have been an extremely important work related phone call (though hard to believe it would be conducted in a pizza parlor), or a serious family situation (injured or sick relative). The overwhelming majority parents don't ignore their kids for more than a few minutes to use a cell phone.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:39 AM

524 posts, read 843,773 times
I had the upbringing of being in the neighborhood all day. We weren't allowed inside. My parents had no idea what we were up to. Now it is overkill. These kids have no idea of how to use their imaginations or how to figure things out for themselves. People constantly on their cell are annoying but the parent who is all up in the playground dynamic is worse.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:48 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Since when has your cell phone been more important than your child? I know for many of you its not. But to often I see parents out and about with their child or children, paying no mind to them with their face buried in their cell phone. For instance last night my wife and myself along with our 3 month old child stopped at pizza hut for a quick bite. A father and 3 boys came in the door and I noticed from the time he walked through the door he was on his cell phone basically until they left. The two youngest boys probably around 8 or 10 yrs of age were all over pizza hut being loud raising hell. The only communication he had with them was to discipline them. I'm not trying to tell anyone how to parent, but do yourself and your children a favor...Put down the phone and give your children some love!!! I can't think of anything that could be more important on your phone than your children. Social media can be put on hold, it will be there when you are done. Which brings up another topic, one that I'm guilty of(except social media,i'm not a member)...the use of social media and texting....Creating a huge personal communication barrier. Sometimes its easier to text or send a message on facebook, but don't forget if its someone that has some meaning in your life its worth taking the time to either stop and see them or pick up the phone and call them, have the personal connection.

Would love to hear any opinions, thoughts or experiences. Obviously this is just the surface, we can go much more into depth, but my son just woke up...Time to show him some love!
How long did you see this father and his children? Maybe an hour of their entire life. You really cannot tell what their life is like based on your hour in a pizza place.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Put down the *&^(*&^ cell phone and watch your kid's soccer game.

Just got back from one of my kid's soccer game. During the game, you'll see several parents on their cell phones goofing off (facebook, etc) while their own kid is playing.

Here's a shot I took of one such parent I took a couple seasons ago, (and yes, I looked over her shoulder, she was goofing around).

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-26-2013 at 07:56 AM..

Old 03-23-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Put down the *&^(*&^ cell phone and watch your kid's soccer game.

Just got back from one of my kid's soccer game. During the game, you'll see several parents on their cell phones goofing off (facebook, etc) while their own kid is playing.

Here's a shot I took of one such parent I took a couple seasons ago, (and yes, I looked over her shoulder, she was goofing around).
And? So what? No really... why do you even care? Might be the only chance she gets to goof off during the day - who are you to judge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting