Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 04:30 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

I guess things have changed. When I was a punker and you went to a concert a few things were guarantees:

1. Contact buzz. So many people were smoking pot, even if you didn't you would get a buzz.

2. Naked women. Yes some men got naked too but that was of no interest.

3. Bleeding. We were punkers for crying out loud. You either bleed from dancing or from fighting.

4. Fighting.

5. People peeing in random wierd places, like tons of girls lined up in the mens room to pee in the sinks. (more naked women to see, but you really did not want to see that.).

6. lots of people taking acid, smoking hash, opium, tie stick, you name it.

7. Ambulances.

8. Tons of kid who should not be driving (Resulting in more ambulances but not at the concert).

9. Seeing couples (or groups) having sex in the stands, bathrooms, hallways, you name it.

10. Drinking. But it was no less common in events or voume than breathing.

11. Vomiting. Never went to any kind of concert where there were nto multiple people vomiting usually from drinking.

12. People being passed around, especially girls. Meaning they pick you up and about ten people support you then slowly hand you off to other people and you are passed around the stadium or maybe thrown onto the stage where that is possible. Of course a girl being passed around is getting groped in offensive ways the whole time.

13. Hard objects flying through the air and striking people in the head - usually thrown from the nosebleed seats.

Normal (not Punk) concerts were more tame but many of those things were still present. Generally I thought I was the only kid my age who attended concerts and did not do drugs. The big name concerts like the Who or stones were more controlled, but still everyone was drunk and thousands were smoking pot, people sometimes got passed around, things thrown, Usually not much bleeing and fights were usually squelched pretty quickly.

Although at the who concert there were several cras smashed int he parking lot because groups of people got on them and jumped up and down toogether. At the stones the stage caught on fire and the crowd started to panic (this was just after the ohio Who stampeded where several people were crushed to death by the crowd.

However i am sure lots of good things go on at those concerts too. . . . like. . . . . . well. . . .. .

Love! There is lots of love at concerts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 05:54 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
I've been to things LIKE warped tour before.

It's a bunch of stages, a lot of people and no one really pays attention to anyone outside their group they went with.

I wasn't interested in drugs back then so I never noticed anything.

Warped tour is pretty tame in comparison to most concerts and heavy on the security.

If she is with a group, has a cell phone, isn't an idiot, she'll be fine.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 PM

509 posts, read 587,703 times
Coldjensens, Warped tour is hardly punker. It's pretty tame. Nothing like what you described. My husband has been to several back in the day, and he says they were some of the tamest concerts he went to.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:33 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffjoy View Post
Coldjensens, Warped tour is hardly punker. It's pretty tame. Nothing like what you described. My husband has been to several back in the day, and he says they were some of the tamest concerts he went to.
Ya Warped Tour is "punk" the way Vanilla Ice was "rap".

Warped tour is basically a commercial for vans, zumiez, monster and mtv. Its slightly more alternative than Selena Gomez.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:00 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,348 times
Street smarts. Street smarts will keep her safe from the drugs, etc. that are found in such places. However, most young American kids are never able to develope effective street wisdom.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
I'd be a little wary at 14 1/2. I might permit it if she and her friends are exceptionally responsible and have cell phones on them.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:15 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
There are 3 or 4 other kids she wants to go with. My biggest fears are: the group getting separated somehow; some creeps seeing young girls alone and hassling them; the drug use; the fact that it's such a huge crowd (20K people?) and if there is some kind of emergency or something.

I've decided not to let her go. She's only 14, definitely not very street smart at all (growing up in surburbia), and I don't feel comfortable having her in that type of environment.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,339 times
I definitely think you should trust your instincts. You know your own kid best. I went to Warped at 14 or 15, but it wasn't my first concert. The crowd can be overwhelming (I do remember being separated from my friend for a bit). Lots of drugs and alcohol available if that's your thing, but overall pretty tame. One of the bands set their drum kit on fire, but it was obviously planned.

For the future a semi-adult chaperone might be a good way to go. I used to take my sister and her friends to concerts when I was in college and they were in high school. The other parents would chip in for my ticket, I'd drive, make sure everyone stayed together and got home safely and was there in case on an emergency, but the kids didn't mind because I wasn't an "adult" or a parent.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:26 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
14 is too young to let any kid be alone at Warped or Bamboozled. It's way to easy for early teen girls to get in over their heads with older hs or college-aged boys, many of them boozed up or rollin. And god help you if your child is enamored with certain bands and get to hang-out with members between sets. There's a running "joke" describing groupies known as ProstiTots (middle school girls & hs freshmen mainly) who w***e themselves for attention.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:07 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times
If your kid gets caught drinking alcohol don't be surprised if you get a call asking you to come pick her up early from the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting