U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:04 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,742,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
You have some weird notions. A 7yo is not a tween. And a 30 is not a young adult.
This. I thought 7yr old girls still shopped at Justice. I know my friends kids do and they go up to ages of 10 & 11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 03:36 AM

261 posts, read 1,165,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
You do realize that there is a Misses department don't you? Jrs is for tweens and younger teenagers. Misses for older teenagers and younger-mid 20s and women's older and then there is the Sag Harbor wear for much older
Juniors is not for tweens... it's for people who want to wear cute clothes.. at least where I shop.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:47 AM

2,159 posts, read 3,742,589 times
May be the case, but junior clothing was made/designed for teens. Check out any of the junior sewing pattern books and you will see that. Junior clothing is cut for the stages of when hips have not widened yet and are for pre-pubescent body shapes. They are simpler to sew because of having more straight lines than those of women's and misses where there are more curves

Old 03-28-2013, 07:48 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,170,184 times
Default I'm much older

Quote:
You do realize that there is a Misses department don't you? Jrs is for tweens and younger teenagers. Misses for older teenagers and younger-mid 20s and women's older and then there is the Sag Harbor wear for much older
And have never worn Sag Harbor!! LOL

I did have to go and google the VS Pink. It is cute and sexy. I can see it for college age.

Juniors are not just for tweens and teens. Juniors are for anyone that they fit. They are generally shorter waisted, smaller armhole, and narrower hipped. Aside from "style", fit is important.

That said, where are the parents when the little girls are buying this stuff??? Just because your daughter may want something, does not mean she should get it.

I remember when panties had the day of the week embroidered on them, and red or black was considered risqué. The new bright colors are great!

Old 03-28-2013, 07:52 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,817,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
That said, where are the parents when the little girls are buying this stuff??? Just because your daughter may want something, does not mean she should get it.
Exactly. If people don't want their daughters to buy/wear specific types of clothing, then just say no.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:10 AM

5,965 posts, read 6,402,884 times
Quote:
Yes I am aware of the misses department.
I'm also aware of how ugly misses clothes are. I have never seen a misses department with cute jeans or cute clothes. They all have looser fits and the jeans go higher up in the misses.

Juniors, stores like American eagle, hollister, have super low rise jeans, shirts fit tighter and longer vs wider and shorter.

Juniors still fits people's bodies better till about late 20's or later.

Ill use kohls as an example, the misses department lacks the fit my age group looks for, the styles we look for, and the neon bright colors that are in(may have just been a Colorado thing).

Personally as long as I have the body for it ill wear low rise, so I'm thinking till at least my 40's.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 AM

10,872 posts, read 18,984,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I'm also aware of how ugly misses clothes are. I have never seen a misses department with cute jeans or cute clothes. They all have looser fits and the jeans go higher up in the misses.

Juniors, stores like American eagle, hollister, have super low rise jeans, shirts fit tighter and longer vs wider and shorter.

Ill use kohls as an example, the misses department lacks the fit my age group looks for, the styles we look for, and the neon bright colors that are in(may have just been a Colorado thing).

Personally as long as I have the body for it ill wear low rise, so I'm thinking till at least my 40's.
There are stores that have grown-up clothes for petite women...Ann Taylor Loft is one that comes to mind.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:21 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,170,184 times
Default You are generalizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post

Ill use Kohl's as an example, the misses department lacks the fit my age group looks for, the styles we look for, and the neon bright colors that are in(may have just been a Colorado thing).

You are looking at the wrong stores. Try Nordstrom's, or Bloomingdale's. Or Boutiques. You will be able to find a myriad of bright, neon, tight, sexy clothes in the misses department.

Kohl's is pretty generic.

There are so many shops, from which to choose, especially online, that age appropriate style, should not be such a problem. Fit is essential, so it might be much more of a challenge to fit a larger, more developed child or tween with appopriate clothing, but there is no reason to take them into VS.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 AM

5,965 posts, read 6,402,884 times
Quote:
May be the case, but junior clothing was made/designed for teens. Check out any of the junior sewing pattern books and you will see that. Junior clothing is cut for the stages of when hips have not widened yet and are for pre-pubescent body shapes. They are simpler to sew because of having more straight lines than those of women's and misses where there are more curves
No no no.
JUSTICE clothes....THAT age group has the straighter fits for girls with no shape.
Justice jeans have a higher waist rise.

The juniors department in stores is for girls who do have shape.
Juniors departments run in women's sizes, starting at 0 and running in even or odd number.
Tween clothes still run on the girls clothing spectrum, 6-20.

Tweens and young teens still fit into the higher sizes of girls clothing.

Now, that said once a girl hits about a 12 or 14 they can fit into women's size 0.

At justice I can wear a 14 slim, which means its a 12 in the waist but a 14 in the length but at AE, Maurice's any mall store I am a 0.

So around 11 or 12 girls can start to fit into the 00/0(adults clothing) sizes but those shirts are more low cut, sexier and the jeans are a lot lower.

So since juniors runs on a 0-20 scale and not the 6-20 scale girls clothes are they are NOT made for Tweens or prepubescent girls.

I've worked retail for nearly 8 years now, I know this stuff.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 AM

487 posts, read 655,983 times
Quote:
Similar to the models (most of them) who have to arch their backs to pretend they have a butt
and the bras that are padded & push up as much as possible to imitate full breasts.
Note: I want to be clear that women come in all shapes and sizes and I am not playing
favorites. Every girl and woman should be valued for who they are and feel secure about themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting