U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 04:20 AM

5,210 posts, read 8,807,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What about the stand alone PINK stores, are those appropriate to take a teen shopping at? Since there they will only be exposed to the PINK dog logo, and not have to see any clothes that might actually have the VS logo on them.

And not everything VS sells would be considered "sexy." They sell basics as well. As much as some parents might hate it, bras and underwear are things that young teens also need. Why do they have to be stuck wearing fruit of the loom training bras and 6 pack underwear? Why not let them wear bras and underwear that are a little more trendy and stylish? Its underwear, it goes under their clothes, they'll be the only ones seeing it.

Even places like Target and Walmart sell "sexy" grown up things, is that also a place that children shouldn't shop because they might accidentally see a thong or nightie?

Its Victoria Secrets, its pretty tame stuff. Its not like these teens are shopping for clothes at the Playboy or Hustler sex shops.
I have boys so this has not been something that I've had to contend with, myself.

But I can certainly remember being a tween/teen and not wanting to wear ugly utilitarian training bras and granny panties even way back then. Girls have much cuter underwear options now at almost any store that sells underwear (From Wal-mart to Nordstroms). Stores like Target and Kohl's aren't exactly known for their sexy, hot models...but those stores do sell cute underwear, not just the boring, packaged 5-packs of blah panties.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 05:08 AM

11,229 posts, read 9,225,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And not everything VS sells would be considered "sexy." They sell basics as well. As much as some parents might hate it, bras and underwear are things that young teens also need. Why do they have to be stuck wearing fruit of the loom training bras and 6 pack underwear? Why not let them wear bras and underwear that are a little more trendy and stylish? Its underwear, it goes under their clothes, they'll be the only ones seeing it.
Bwaaahhhaaaaaaa! That was funny! But I guess that is an entirely different topic. I will be good.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:23 AM

885 posts, read 1,527,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
This is what I've never understood. Why do you need cute and trendy bras and underwear if no one is going to see it? It's why I never saw the point in buying "sexy" underwear. No one was going to see it, so why not buy the cheap and comfortable stuff.
I will just state the obvious.

Because in 2013, lots of others "see it"

I assume (but do not 100% know this obviously) that girls change infront of each other all the time, when on sports teams, changing for gym at school, sleep overs, etc.

I do know for a fact that there was/is an issue around here with girls showing off their thongs as soon as they get them, you know, pulling the side things up above their pants/skirts..?

Then......there's also that thing called a boyfriend. I saw plenty of my gf's underware on her starting freshman year of highschool (13)

Old 03-29-2013, 05:47 AM

The trendy bras seem to be pretty substantial. They are lightly padded, molded...nothing see through or skimpy about them at all. I can see how girls feel comfortable in them. Trendy panties might be a different story, though, not sure...but realistically probably not a whole lot different than what the girls all wore back in the 80's.

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-29-2013 at 06:01 AM..

Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 AM

5,944 posts, read 6,379,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
This is what I've never understood. Why do you need cute and trendy bras and underwear if no one is going to see it? It's why I never saw the point in buying "sexy" underwear. No one was going to see it, so why not buy the cheap and comfortable stuff.

Who wants to wear blah and boring???

Why not the fun colors?
When I finally got into wearing bras I loved the fun colors and patterns. No one saw them but me and the girls in gym class but I didn't care what they thought, I did have a few boring ones and I always thought with all these cute patterns out there why buy something so boring?
Even now, my fav is a bright neon greenish yellow with zebra stripe straps. I could care less what DB thinks ITS NEOOOOOON!!!!!!

There are so many fun colors and patters and styles, why wear basic boring crap?

Instead of buying the 5 pack basic white ones you could pick 5 from target, get like two bikini cut, two boy shorts and one hipster cut, in stripes and patters and NEON COLORS!!!!! Lol.

Just because no one see its doesn't mean it shouldn't be fun.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 AM

741 posts, read 1,024,625 times
Yeah...I had the granny panties and old front closed maiden forms back in high - school, and let me tell you, changing in front of the other girls sucked! I'm not saying I wanted a bedazzeled stripper outfit, but it would have been nice to have something well fitting and flattering. I suppose it depends on where the girls are coming from.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
The trendy bras seem to be pretty substantial. They are lightly padded, molded...nothing see through or skimpy about them at all. I can see how girls feel comfortable in them. Trendy panties might be a different story, though, not sure...but realistically probably not a whole lot different than what the girls all wore back in the 80's.
Trendy doesn't mean trashy.
Trendy just means fun colors and styles.

Someone else called them ugly utilitarian something or other, why be limited to all the same cut and white and plain, it's not the book 1984...

You can get ones that cover well but have tons of color or pattern or lace trim or whatever.

When I was a tween I had all sorts of colorful fun underwear, no one saw it back then but it was better than boring white ones.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Yeah...I had the granny panties and old front closed maiden forms back in high - school, and let me tell you, changing in front of the other girls sucked! I'm not saying I wanted a bedazzeled stripper outfit, but it would have been nice to have something well fitting and flattering. I suppose it depends on where the girls are coming from.
Oh yeah some bras and underwear are sooooo ugly.

Nothing wrong with fun stuff, just because it has lace doesn't make it trashy or sexy, it's all in how it's done.

I once saw a pair that was grey with neon yellow and grey lace trim on the top. They looked fun not sexy.

Now all lace and black with some silk might be sexy.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Trendy doesn't mean trashy.
Trendy just means fun colors and styles.

Someone else called them ugly utilitarian something or other, why be limited to all the same cut and white and plain, it's not the book 1984...

You can get ones that cover well but have tons of color or pattern or lace trim or whatever.

When I was a tween I had all sorts of colorful fun underwear, no one saw it back then but it was better than boring white ones.
I actually think the new bras for tweens/teens in particular are really super cute - no, not trashy at all! MUCH better than some of the stuff I used to wear back in the day - lol. Back then it really was a choice between white bras with little pink bows or sheer, lacy barely there little things.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:36 AM

11,614 posts, read 19,711,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
If people are up in arms about this, where is the outrage for toddler bikinis?

Really - someone bought my 3 yr old a 2 piece bathing suit. It was returned and exchanged. No different from underwear if you ask me.

IMO it's very different from underwear because you wear underwear UNDER your clothes. Nobody sees it. When you are talking about TEEN GIRLS (not toddlers) underwear can be an acceptable way for them to feel sexy. Their bodies are maturing and they are becoming sexual beings. However, they are asked to deny their sexuality because they are not ready for the other aspects of being fully sexual. In some ways underwear allows them to be sexy without being outwardly sexy. Bikinis are outwardly sexy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting