U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 03:00 PM

6,780 posts, read 6,880,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
What locker rooms were you guys in that girls were looking at other girls' underwear? That didn't happen in ours.
It's not like girls sit around staring at each other, but they aren't blind either, unless you have private change rooms which most schools don't, people are going to see what you are wearing, and ugly granny panties stand out. Every little thing matters at that age, right or wrong, it just does, anything that seems even a little "off" can cause a girl embarrassment even if it's only in her own mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 03:12 PM

10,878 posts, read 19,019,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
What locker rooms were you guys in that girls were looking at other girls' underwear? That didn't happen in ours.
My friends and I always changed together, or shared fitting rooms at stores. In school, we all had to change for PE in the same room (in middle school it was a classroom with the blinds shut, in high school it was a locker room). Everyone checked out everyone else's undies. If you were wearing ugly stuff in high school (like the granny panties and box bra my mom forced me to wear), you changed in a stall. If you had nice stuff, you stood around chatting in your bra and gym shorts. We even changed in front of each other during overnight youth retreats and Bible camp. There are plenty of situations where nice underwear are nice to have that don't involve members of the opposite sex, or anything sexual at all. I even remember being embarrassed of my granny panties and box bra at the doctor's office.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:05 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,877,424 times
It's weird that after all these years of feminism, young women more than ever only want to look sexually appealing to men at all times.

Parents need to raise their girls to not think they must always put on some show for men or believe they must always be eye candy or they're worthless. The only reason a girl would feel less about herself in regular underwear is that she feels she must look like a stripper or she's nothing.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:59 PM

1,024 posts, read 957,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Parents need to raise their girls to not think they must always put on some show for men or believe they must always be eye candy or they're worthless. The only reason a girl would feel less about herself in regular underwear is that she feels she must look like a stripper or she's nothing.
NOT TRUE.

Sometimes it is as simple as being considered "normal" by your peers. You do not want to stand out as different. You do not want to do anything that they consider "abnormal."

This has NOTHING to do with wanting to look like a stripper, but wanting to be accepted by ones peers.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:12 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,830,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Oh please, this is a crock. And what is "regular underwear" anyway? White granny-panties, pastel bikinis, thongs as long as they are not lacy? Who gets to decide, you?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with people liking nice clothing. Comfortable stylish underwear is not something anyone should feel guilty about, and it does not equate to anything sexual.

Again obviously some people have not even bothered to go and look at the Pink line before casting aspersions and painting everyone not like them a hooker. Pfffft.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:39 PM

12,943 posts, read 19,885,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreefoldme View Post
NOT TRUE.

Sometimes it is as simple as being considered "normal" by your peers. You do not want to stand out as different. You do not want to do anything that they consider "abnormal."

This has NOTHING to do with wanting to look like a stripper, but wanting to be accepted by ones peers.
I agree, but would take it a step further, in that nice underwear makes me feel better. It's all fine and dandy that my DH appreciates it, but I do too. I have no problem with teens shopping at VS, anymore than I did with my sons wanting only Nike sport briefs.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:26 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,389,933 times
For those parents thrilled to have your tween and teen daughters decked out in Victoria's Secret: do your daughters shop for these items in store, online, or via catalog? How do you feel about the imagery to which your daughters are exposed while shopping for V.S. products? What messages do you feel are presented by the giant V.S. posters in malls, and the images in V.S. catalogs and on the website? Do you believe these images help to foster healthy attitudes in our girls about their bodies and their worth as human beings? Are you comfortable with your daughters emulating the provocative poses of V.S. models when they themselves pose for pictures?

Old 03-30-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
For those parents thrilled to have your tween and teen daughters decked out in Victoria's Secret: do your daughters shop for these items in store, online, or via catalog? How do you feel about the imagery to which your daughters are exposed while shopping for V.S. products? What messages do you feel are presented by the giant V.S. posters in malls, and the images in V.S. catalogs and on the website? Do you believe these images help to foster healthy attitudes in our girls about their bodies and their worth as human beings? Are you comfortable with your daughters emulating the provocative poses of V.S. models when they themselves pose for pictures?
Please go and look at the Pink line, then come back and discuss it.

PS. Without the snark would be good.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:40 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,389,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Please go and look at the Pink line, then come back and discuss it.

PS. Without the snark would be good.
Is there a way to shop for PINK without being exposed to other V.S. lines and their accompanying imagery? I'm honestly asking, no snark here.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Is there a way to shop for PINK without being exposed to other V.S. lines and their accompanying imagery? I'm honestly asking, no snark here.
Victoria's Secret PINK:* The VS PINK Collection at Victoria's Secret and in the Pink stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting