Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:03 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Well that is odd. I mean seriouisly. . I'm not sure what to make here. Did the kid really take eggs from babies? or was the kid just being silly and the mother is there rolling her eyes? Did the paper cutout the part where the mom said "no jackson, they let you have some of their eggs you didn't take them" to make the story read better?

Or was the person really such a horrible parrent? And what about the other parents with "babies" they didn't react when a 8 year old stole their candy? I can say that if an 8 year old tried to take anything from my 3 year old. . .well it just wouldn't happen.

So I guess I call this 90% bull#@%
I was at a city hunt where this is exactly what went on except that one mother TOLD her big kid to go into the toddler hunt and steal the eggs from the toddlers. Saw it with my own eyes, else I would never have believed it.

Quote:
This is not a question of WWJD but a question pure simple ethics and trust in media. I think you should have less trust in the media here and more trust in your fellow man.

The easter eggs hunts i particpated in had a set limit per kid. No mess. No fuss.
This one had limits too. And rules about ages. But there was no enforcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 03:33 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
yep this is the "me " generation that is being raised now . Oh no dont punish because you will stunt thier creative growth . My grandmother would have worn my behind out had I or any of my siblings stole or taken anything away from a baby or anyone younger . I would not have been able to sit down for a month of sundays . we only attended the church ones and then we had to be on our best behavior . I think parents today are too busy with their ipods and cell phones to be parents and actually teach their kids to act right and some manners . Yep the me generation is stealing things from babys .Of course then you have babys having babys and being too young to teach them anything cause they have not been taught themselves . end of story .

Old 04-08-2013, 03:37 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Eggs in an open field, meh, what kind of fun is that?
My kids loved the hunt, the thrill of finding the hidden eggs. For many years, every week after Easter I would find the empty plastic eggs, or colored paper eggs, hidden around the house where the kids were each hiding them for the other to find. I thought it was adorable.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:20 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
For about ten years we lived in a neighborhood where about half the residents including nearly all the families were working class and lower income families. We hosted an Easter egg hunt in the park in front of our house (the neighborhood association helped pay for it). Some eggs had candy, some had coupons for drawings to win various prizes (Frisbee, soccer ball, candy bubbles, prepackaged baskets and even a boom box once). WE got a lot of donations after a while, so nearly every kid came away with a raffle prize. There was 50 - 100 kids once it really got rolling. At first there were only a score or so.

The kids were actually very well behaved for their age. We had to remind them often to sit and wait, but they did. We had a separate area for the little kids and the older ones sat and waited while the littles did their hunt. When we released the order kids, they scrambled wildly for the eggs but were decent to each other. I even saw kids lifting up smaller kids to get eggs out of reach. older siblings woudl often collect eggs and give half of them to a younger sibling or relative. Because of the nature of our neighborhood, it seemed that most of the kids were related one way or another. They were usually as excited to find the tough eggs (well hidden) as they were to get candy and prizes. the park was small and hiding spaces were limited, but we had great fun figuring out clever and inaccessible places to hide eggs. The kids liked the ones that were a challenge to find or to get to. Most of the little were thrilled to get one egg. If somone got no tickets to put int eh buckets for drawings for the prizes, we just gave them a handful.

The bigger problem was the adults. Pushing their kids to collect the most, hurry hurry hurry, pointing out where eggs were hidden, complaining about the free prizes . . . One year we made the mistake of putting some dollar coins in several of the eggs. As soon as a couple of kids found some, several adults charged the park and began ripping eggs open madly looking for dollars, knocking kids out of their way, it was insane. There were only five eggs with dollars in them and the kids had already found most of them. The adults pretty much ruined the hunt that year. Later, we ribboned off an area for adults and the rest of the park was accessible to kids only. it was frustrating to have to do that.

Still we and the other association members who later helped us really enjoyed it. It was the highlight of our spring. We pent maybe $100 and the association another $100 - $200, plus we sometimes got donations form Target or other sponsors. It was well worth it. It costs our family about $100 to go to a movie. The Easter egg hunt was more fun and lasted longer than a movie, so it was a good return on the expenditure. Our younger kids got to participate and when they grew older, they helped set up, fill and hide eggs and run the event. They remember it very fondly.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 04-08-2013 at 05:29 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 09:46 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
I dont enjoy them either. When I was a kid my dad belong to the local Moose club. I remember they had easter egg hunts and it was awful. I wasnt an aggressive kid so I ended up with like 2 eggs or something. I didnt enjoy it. My son is a lot like me when it comes to stuff like this so when his boy scout troop had an easter egg hunt he didnt end up with a lot of eggs. I didnt see any pushing or shoving but it was definitely a competitive atmosphere. He never really cared to do it again and I was fine with that. Recently my sister took her grandchild to a public easter egg hunt. She said it was awful. The organizers kept trying to tell parents to stay behind the ropes as they just wanted the kids in the area to pick up the eggs. They had it sectioned off by age. My sister said the parents were freaking out saying I AM NOT LEAVING MY CHILD ALONE! What is gonna happen to their kids 20 feet away? So the parents rushed out from behind the ropes and started grabbing up the eggs for their kids. My sister said she will never do it again.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:21 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I was at a city hunt where this is exactly what went on except that one mother TOLD her big kid to go into the toddler hunt and steal the eggs from the toddlers. Saw it with my own eyes, else I would never have believed it.

This one had limits too. And rules about ages. But there was no enforcement.

I can see a disappointed kid being told to go to a toddler area. . .for left over eggs. I mean at our place they had more than 10 per person so there were extra

Taking eggs from the ground is a little different than from another kid

and taking eggs after most kids have had theirs, is different

but i guess there can be stupid parents out there . . .but look, they didn't exist in Centennial CO so maybe you should move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting