Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 04:05 PM

10,039 posts, read 17,995,009 times

Advertisements

My sister was born the last week of December and I was born just over a year later on New Year's Day. I don't remember any downsides to our birthdays other than sometimes having a "shared" party, but since we were only a year apart it wasn't really an issue.

Then again, we grew up in a time when birthday parties were just having a few neighborhood kids over ... nothing fancy, and no inviting everyone in the kid's class. I always thought it was really fun and can't figure out why many parents go so far overboard these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 04:15 PM

117 posts, read 256,381 times
Thanks, all. My mother-in-laws birthday is 1 week before Xmas. She always tells people to NOT wrap her bday presents in Xmas paper, lol. I'm also nervous about being trapped in the house for weeks because its so cold out and it's not the best time to take a newborn outside. Plus, it's flu season.

Ugh, theses reasons sound really silly. But it's a lot to think about.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:26 PM

705 posts, read 1,756,318 times
My b/d is New Years. ALWAYS wrap and give separate gifts! Most of the people I talk to who hate their holiday b/day had parents who combined the celebrations.

I don't mind, I have always celebrated my b/day on NYE...everyone parties for my b/d! And the next day, there are always parades.

But yeah, for a kid it can be hard. Don't try to schedule a party on the day of...I had one slumber party where only one person came. That sucked.

My dad was disappointed; he had 2 tax returns filled out - one for me as a dependent for the whole year, and one without. He missed a tax write off by 3 hours, LOL.

On the plus side, no one will ever forget your b/day.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:28 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,801,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella05 View Post
Thanks, all. My mother-in-laws birthday is 1 week before Xmas. She always tells people to NOT wrap her bday presents in Xmas paper, lol. I'm also nervous about being trapped in the house for weeks because its so cold out and it's not the best time to take a newborn outside. Plus, it's flu season.

Ugh, theses reasons sound really silly. But it's a lot to think about.
They make really cute little warm covers for the baby carseat and I'm sure you have a heater in your car, so you wouldn't really be trapped in the house if you have a newborn during winter.

I think my advice is the opposite of everyone else's here...if you're in your 20's and you haven't been trying long, then skip this month. But if you're in your 30's or you have been trying a long time, don't take the month off...a baby is a joy whenever they're born.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:33 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,068,861 times
Quote:
Hi all,
My husband and I are TTC. "If" we get pregnant this month we'll have a January 1st due date. Is this a hectic time to have a baby? It'll be freezing out, plus Christmas time and New Years. Is it difficult to plan bday parties, etc? We might skip this month because its such a hectic time of year. Anyone have a child who's bday is right around Xmas?
If I were you, I'd base this decision more on whether or not I wanted to have a Capricorn. To be honest, I'd wait until the end of March or first part of April if I were you. Capricorn's are *not* the easiest people to live with.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-06-2013, 04:37 PM

117 posts, read 256,381 times
True. I'm 33, and this will be our 3rd. We haven't began yet. Our 2nd baby was born in late January. His bday is OK since it's past the holidays. I'm still nervous though. We pray that we're able to conceive another healthy baby soon.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:42 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,466,787 times
Quote:
Really? Are you okay with celebrating your bday in June? Ugh, maybe we should skip this month. Some people don't mind it. I heard some people hate having their bday close to Christmas...
My dd was born 12/24. We celebrated her birthday with a birthday breakfast until she was 15. Then she chose to celebrate her 3/4th birthday in September instead.

My neice was born on 12/25 and celebrates her birthday in September as well.

On the bright side, dd and my neice have always gotten more birthday presents as no one forgets the kids with birthdays on Christmas eve or Christmas day. Everyone is so worrried about them feeling overshadowed it's over kill. Dd#1, whose birthday is in June complains that people forget her birthday but never her sister's birthday and it's true.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:30 PM

128 posts, read 177,299 times
I just met my son's girlfriend who was born on Christmas day, 1990. She said she likes it or at least doesn't mind it She always knew she would have a day off from work or school.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
I'd skip it this month.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:21 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,595,462 times
Quote:
Hi all,
My husband and I are TTC. "If" we get pregnant this month we'll have a January 1st due date. Is this a hectic time to have a baby? It'll be freezing out, plus Christmas time and New Years. Is it difficult to plan bday parties, etc? We might skip this month because its such a hectic time of year. Anyone have a child who's bday is right around Xmas?
Good for you. You'll save 18 presents "Billy, This is a christmas AND a birthday present!"

Our second daughter was due on January 1st 2002. We induced on 12/21 because I had paid time off from work, it's a little easier to have a kid a little early, we could plan on the delivery (relatives could be there for the show for example), AND most importantly, I saved $1850 on taxes in tax year 2001 because she was born in 2001 and not 2002 (I used Turbo Tax to reveal this tax savings).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting