U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:15 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,231,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Know it all? I know segregation is wrong. Do you?
I think the whole point of the OP was to consider whether or not it was segregation.

you have a kid with autism and you want to look for other parents of autistic children, is THAT segregation?

I think its OK to identify with a subculture and want to find others who share some set of experiences or heritage. But sure, the AA mom seeker could be really closed minded too. Don't know til you meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 07:23 AM

11,311 posts, read 16,823,077 times
Quote:
you have a kid with autism and you want to look for other parents of autistic children, is THAT segregation?
I do not know enough about autism to comment properly. Some kids with extreme cases of autism probably cannot interact with other kids so it might be moot to begin with. But the issue is race, not special needs.

Quote:
I think its OK to identify with a subculture and want to find others who share some set of experiences or heritage. But sure, the AA mom seeker could be really closed minded too.
IMHO African-Americans and European-Americans are simply not that different. Certainly not enough to warrant intentional self segregation. They both eat, sleep, work and rent movies on the weekend. Their kids both like playgrounds, video games and TV. They're both human beings.

Ask yourself what would happen if a white person did the same. I reckon he or she would be morally smeared in public. Thus, we cannot sanction double standards. Having said that, your point has some validity as there is always going to be movement towards commonality- German-American Societies, Ebony Magazine, Sons of Italy, etc.

Quote:
Don't know til you meet
Something to that, but I see it somewhat often around here and find it rather alarming. We all have more in common than not. That's my opinion and am sticking by it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting