Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:46 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Small breasts are not deformities. Having ears that aren't pinned back isn't a deformity. There are legitimate deformities and there are things that are NOT deformities.
I guess that depends on how you define "deformity". But yes, a different word may be more appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 10:54 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
I think if you want to get your nose done, it should be done on your own dime. Now, if you are missing you nose (does happen), that's a different story. I have tossed around the idea of getting a reduction, but I would never ask my parents' insurance (which I'm not on but being hypothetical here) to cover it. It's also something I don't think someone should do at such a young age.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
I think if you want to get your nose done, it should be done on your own dime. Now, if you are missing you nose (does happen), that's a different story. I have tossed around the idea of getting a reduction, but I would never ask my parents' insurance (which I'm not on but being hypothetical here) to cover it. It's also something I don't think someone should do at such a young age.
In most cases, plastic surgery for cosmetic reasons is not covered by insurance. But, in cases where it can be considered a health issue (ie: a deviated septum repair that just "happens" to change the shape of the nose for the better, or a breast reduction that in turn relieves back pain), well, that's what insurance is there for. If I've paid my premiums all along, I see no reason not to expect reimbursement. I'm paying for my sons' insurance, so their medical expenses are really a family expense, and I expect them to stay that way until they are 26.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
If her parents' health insurance is going to cover the procedure, then it must be necessary. OP doesn't need to tell us exactly what's wrong with her nose to prove she's entitled to the surgery. The insurance wouldn't pay for it if there wasn't a very good reason for it to be done. So there's no reason at all that she shouldn't have the insurance pay for it. It sounds like it's more than just vanity in her case.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If her parents' health insurance is going to cover the procedure, then it must be necessary. OP doesn't need to tell us exactly what's wrong with her nose to prove she's entitled to the surgery. The insurance wouldn't pay for it if there wasn't a very good reason for it to be done. So there's no reason at all that she shouldn't have the insurance pay for it. It sounds like it's more than just vanity in her case.
To me, it sounds like a made up thread, not a case of actually needing surgery.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:17 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
To me, it sounds like a made up thread, not a case of actually needing surgery.

Look at the Wilson brothers, Owen and the other one whos name no one ever remebers, they both have some odd noses, granted they are famous and they clearly don't have an issue with it but if some people has a nose like that and they were teased and harassed for it they would want it changed. While my example isnt a deformity just something people don't view as astetic, some people would greatly benefit from having it fixed.

My point being, while an "odd" shaped nose is not a deformity and more of an astetic issue, it is something you walk around with on your face and if your nose is huge, crooked, uneven and it makes you feel uncomforatable then there is no reason to go get counseling or have yourself checked out mentally, we all have things about ourselves we don't like and would change if we could.

Trust me, I could have left that thing on my nose, I could have never had it fixed, I could also have gone the rest of my life with it on my face, self conscious about it, feeling ike everyone was looking at it, I could have endured the comments and the jokes and the awkward stares of people trying to not look at it. it wasn't a deformity, it didn't affect my nose, it didn't hurt me but it affected me since I hadn't always been there and grew and I felt stuck with something that had grown on my face.

It doesn't matter if it is a deviated septum or crooked nose with a large bump, our face is the first thing people see and people don't want the first thing people see to be a big huge sign of insecurity displayed right there for everyone to see.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:01 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
It doesn't matter if it is a deviated septum or crooked nose with a large bump, our face is the first thing people see and people don't want the first thing people see to be a big huge sign of insecurity displayed right there for everyone to see.
just because you don't want the first thing people to see to be something you are insecure about, doesn't mean you should get plastic surgery.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:47 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreefoldme View Post
just because you don't want the first thing people to see to be something you are insecure about, doesn't mean you should get plastic surgery.
It doesn't mean you shouldn't either.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:32 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreefoldme View Post
If it makes you happy do it......

Old 04-16-2013, 05:42 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
If it makes you happy do it......
This is the problem. If you're having plastic surgery because you think it will make you happy...DON'T do it. Plastic surgery isn't going to make anyone happy. If they're having it for that reason they're having it for the wrong reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting