Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 07:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,893,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
The Girl Scout troop is going to a water park on a weekday. The girls are only 8 so I would imagine that each girl requires a parent/guardian to be there for safety purposes.

Lots of logistics involved in planning these types of activities.
No, girl scout events have a minimum number of non-related adults per child. At 8 years old (Brownies) for an event like this one, you need to have 1 adult for every 6 girls plus another adult if you have more than 12 girls. So if 14 girls are going, you need 3 non-related adults. Extra parents are certainly welcome, but they are not required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 09:03 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,005,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
The Girl Scout troop is going to a water park on a weekday. The girls are only 8 so I would imagine that each girl requires a parent/guardian to be there for safety purposes.
Its been a while since I was in girl scouts, but I remember having only chaperones even as a daisy. My mom worked part time, so always based her schedule around field trips and other outings, but I remember her being one of the few parents that was always there. She would usually have 3 + girls assigned to her that she was responsible for looking out for. We would usually get to choose are groups, so it was always just friends of mine, but still I don't ever recall their parents being there as they must have worked full time.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:56 AM

17,344 posts, read 16,472,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No, girl scout events have a minimum number of non-related adults per child. At 8 years old (Brownies) for an event like this one, you need to have 1 adult for every 6 girls plus another adult if you have more than 12 girls. So if 14 girls are going, you need 3 non-related adults. Extra parents are certainly welcome, but they are not required.
It might be something as simple as transportation logistics - getting kids to/from the water park combined with who is watching which kid at the water park (swimming abilities vary, that's probably up to the parents to work out any way). Hard to tell. But I would check with the leader before asking one of the other parents to bring my child to this event- there might be other considerations that we're not aware of.

Last edited by springfieldva; 04-19-2013 at 04:59 AM..

Old 04-19-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Its been a while since I was in girl scouts, but I remember having only chaperones even as a daisy. My mom worked part time, so always based her schedule around field trips and other outings, but I remember her being one of the few parents that was always there. She would usually have 3 + girls assigned to her that she was responsible for looking out for. We would usually get to choose are groups, so it was always just friends of mine, but still I don't ever recall their parents being there as they must have worked full time.
It's been something like a hundred years since I was a brownie/Girl Scout. But if I remember correctly, there were regular meetings and outings (nature centers) that I would at times attend w/o my mom because she worked full time. But there were special activities (like camp outs, hikes, swim parties) which all of the moms would attend with their daughters.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:52 AM

Another consideration might be that the water park has specific rules regarding child/adult supervision..

Old 04-19-2013, 10:23 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Troops can certainly set their own guidelines that exceed what is required officially by the girl scouts.

When I was involved in girl scouts we'd occasionally set up some activities as to require parent involvement. At the very least we'd require that the parents drive them there and pick up.

In some settings we'd have a few girls that weren't really trustworthy. You'd be surprised how the dymanic of just one child who can't really behave can change how you do things.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:27 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,142,703 times
Maybe I am being too simplistic here or am missing the point.

Why don't you just call the mother who is planning these events, explain the situation and ask her to offer options that include weekends as an alternative that everyone can vote on?

Or am I missing something?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 AM

A few random thoughts..

It may simply be that the leader didn't offer weekend options because she has other prior obligations on weekends. Toward the end of the school year there are things like spring soccer, Mother's Day, high school and college graduations and dance recitals, just to name a few.

As far as working parents, the troops my daughter has been in have primarily been composed of working moms. I actually meet very few SAHMs of school age kids. There were moms who almost never participated, no matter when the events were scheduled, and the reason they gave was that they worked.

I've almost always worked non traditional hours. OP, there are more people than you think that do work but might be free in the hours directly after school. This includes some in professional jobs.

One of the things that caused me to walk away from scouts is that there were a handful of parents that would complain, wanted to have a say in this or that but were never around to get their hands dirty. Want to have more of a say as a parent....then get involved.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Maybe I am being too simplistic here or am missing the point.

Why don't you just call the mother who is planning these events, explain the situation and ask her to offer options that include weekends as an alternative that everyone can vote on?

Or am I missing something?

While I think it is nice to be able to vote in some situations, it really isn't possible to do so every time.

When I organized activities, I'd provide the information, if there was enough interest, then we would proceed forward. I myself really didn't have tons of flexibility to offer more than one time for people to vote on. We did have some weekend activities though.

Last edited by Larkspur123; 04-19-2013 at 10:46 AM..

Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,922,346 times
To me, it seems like a day event like this wouldn't be planned for a weekday simply because the kids are in SCHOOL on weekdays! An afternoon event, after school, maybe on a weekday. But an all day event? Makes no sense to me why it would even be on a weekday. Unless it is over a school break or something like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
View detailed profiles of: