Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:53 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You can begin by watering down the milk and eventually make it entirely water. She may not want a bottle with just water in it.
This is smart advice !!!

My grandson still had a pacy at 11/2, so when he came to my house I started putting a tad of pickle juice on it. He began to hand me the pacy when he came over and no one knew why..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:38 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So ... you want "because she enjoys it" to be your basis for parenting decisions???

Yes, she needs to stop using a bottle. Bottles are for babies who cannot hold a cup. Just like diapers are for babies who cannot control their bowels. It is part of her growing up. She will get over it. She won't throw a fit for the rest of her life.

Change her after-nap routine so the omission of the bottle isn't so noticeable. Take her outside or do a craft ... something that will taker her mind off it and help her through the transition.
Bad... thanks for setting it straight. All kids are the same. You are correct...

Actually, if your toddler derives most of their nutrients via the bottle, it's fine. That's what my pediatrician said, but you should really ask your pediatrician. I'm positive he/she will confirm.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 PM

Just be the parent...Decide based on advice or
however you make parental decisions but don't
be so worried that the kid is going to have a tantrum..

What will you do when she is a teen and is just as
adamant that you allow things you know are not good..
Learn now to make decisions and the kid will
survive...

Oh ...and google bottle mouth images...

Old 04-23-2013, 01:12 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Then why do they keep changing their mind? My mother was told breast feeding was bad for babies because breast milk isn't sterile. I remember when sleeping babies on their tummies was recommended so they wouldn't aspirate any spit up. When my dd's were little they recommended side sleeping and co sleeping. Now it's back to sleep and co sleeping is a no no.

Whatever the advice is today, it will change.
If you think for a moment you might figure it out. Research is ongoing, as new research brings new evidence to light the advice changes. You are right that what the advice is today can change but as parents we should base on our decisions on the information that is available to us today, and the advice given today is based on that information. It would be stupid to base our decisions on outdated information. Although I'm not sure when the advice on bottles has changed, has it?

Old 04-23-2013, 01:47 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,336 times
I don't see the problem with letting a 2-year old drink from a bottle. It's clearly a comfort thing and I just can't see what harm it could do. Many 2-year olds are breast fed and that's mainly a comfort thing too. Why is that okay but getting a bottle isn't? She's not going to be drinking from a bottle when she's 15. It will stop sooner or later. Right now it's clearly very important to the little girl so why take that comfort and soothing away from her? Give the kid her bottle.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:31 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
So true, which is why I think it is important to combine "expert" advice with some common sense and research on your own.

My older son had a bottle until age 2, maybe 2.5. He did not walk around with a bottle all day but still had a naptime and bedtime bottle and we brushed his teeth after. No issues. I also saw kids all the time with horrible decay and generally they were with a bottle in hand all day long. Different situations.
Years from now, we may hear that the emotional tauma of taking away a bottle from a baby who does not know how to self sooth lasts a lifetime. You never know.

I let my dd have her bottle because that's what made her world right. She didn't throw tantrums without it. I just knew I'd taken something she needed to comfort herself away and it seemed cruel. Yeah, she probably had a few more cavities because of that in her baby teeth. Fortunately, we had good dental insurance and found a pediatric dentist who was wonderful with kids.

If they told me her adult teeth were going to rot out, maybe I would have thought differently but baby teeth are temporary teeth so I didn't lose any sleep over a few cavities that may or may not have been caused by her having a couple of bottles per day.

According to today, I did it all wrong anyway, lol. Maybe by the time I have grand kids, we'll be back to I did it right. What is recommended changes all the time.

I don't regret my decision. Dd turned out to be gifted and like many gifted children, has a very hard time winding down. It's very difficult for her to turn off her brain. They often have to be taught how to relax and fall alseep. For dd, that was what her bottle did. Interestingly, she did not go to sleep with it. She just wanted one before nap/bed time. She put it down when she was ready to go to bed. She was a weird 2 year old. She'd have her bottle and announce she was going to bed now and off she went.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:58 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,397 times
Not considering the SERIOUS (not minor) dental implications, I agree with the below post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I think as long as your parenting philosophy doesn't become "I let her have it because she got upset" then it is fine. The bottle itself isn't a big deal as long as you don't give in to her every time she has a fit.
If you take the bottle away and then relent when she whines, ALL you are teaching her is that tantrums are ok because she gets what she wants. While weaning them off is painful for a few days, it is far less painful than creating the type of monster this style of parenting creates.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

Yeah, she probably had a few more cavities because of that in her baby teeth. Fortunately, we had good dental insurance and found a pediatric dentist who was wonderful with kids.
She would have found self soothing things that didn't cause cavities..

Old 04-23-2013, 10:49 AM

297 posts, read 502,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
She would have found self soothing things that didn't cause cavities..
Actually a lot of new studies now say that genetics is the determining factor in tooth decay, not what you eat or drink.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2012 View Post
Actually a lot of new studies now say that genetics is the determining factor in tooth decay, not what you eat or drink.
I would love to see those studies..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting