Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 03:26 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times

Advertisements

apes have white skin under their hair fyi.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:22 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I didn't even bother reading the wall of nonsensical rambling by Coltrane.
I think you should have read it. I have a strong gut feeling he analyzed your mind set quite accurately!

Old 04-19-2013, 05:25 PM

33 posts, read 188,674 times
I remember some years ago I was walking through Harlem with my nephew at the time he was probably less than 10 years old. When a guy walks by me with a boy ( must of been like 12 - 13 ) and a girl. Before they passed by us i saw the boy crying then when they passes by us all I heard the sound of a big slap ( he slapped him like he was slapping a man. ) I turned around to look I saw the boy with his hand on his face. At that moment I felt like calling the cops but all I did was hold my nephew tight towards me and kept on my way.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:25 PM

43 posts, read 76,720 times
I witnessed this near Yankee stadium one day:

I was waiting at a food cart for a cup of coffee. This gheto lady in front of me has her 2 - 3 year old with her and when they get to the front of the line...

Mom: What chu want?

Kid: I want a chocolate donut, mommy

Mom: You ain't getting no ****in' chocolate donut, because there ain't be no ****in' chocolate donut!

Kid: But mommy...

Mom: *****, SHUT THE **** UP!

Old 04-19-2013, 06:28 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I think you should have read it. I have a strong gut feeling he analyzed your mind set quite accurately!
I just skimmed through it and I gotta say:
Jcoltrane posts was a convoluted mess of conjectures and personal attacks.
if he's an idiot for making every single topic on this forum about silly dichotomies of native NYer vs transplant, black vs white, conservative vs liberal, I don't know what that makes you for believing that he can read my mindset. Nothing flattering, that's for sure...

I didn't mention race, simply because I knew this would quickly get the thread off-topic. But most importantly because I don't think it's relevant. In other words, couldn't care less about the race of the child abuser.

Anyway, if you guys think I'm a liberal racist for not mentioning race or politics here, so be it. But If anything the race baiters are those implying that certain establishments are patronized only by a specific race.

And to clarify; I didn't intervene because as this transpired people around reacted with the indifference of a common occurence. I weighed my decision and ultimately the wisest thing to do was just to gtfo of that place shaking my head.
As I said before, I have witnessed this kind of behavior before on the subway, and while still thinking that it was a reprehensible thing to do to a child back then, now that I'm a dad to a beautiful newborn I feel even more disgusted by that kind of public display.

Last edited by likeminas; 04-19-2013 at 06:36 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 07:23 PM

15 posts, read 54,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Also: Regarding the video. Where do these guys get the confidence to walk around in broad daylight brandishing weapons? Where is law enforcement? My last comment is that poor un-educated people are usually the ones who spank their kids...but the reality is - It does not take a village to raise a child- The child whether liberals like it or not- Is the property of the parent - not the community and not the state...still - hitting your kids does not pay off. I never struck my four kids and they are all fine respectable adults that love me.
Children are not "property of their parents." I do agree with you, however, that corporal punishment is wrong. However, while children are the parents responsibility, not the community, if a child is being abused, it is the government that steps in to protect the child. I am a liberal and I think that is a reasonable situation.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:33 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Today I went to get a cup of coffee at a McDonald's in Brooklyn and as I was ordering I see this woman verbally abusing her child.

I don't know what the child did but she was getting pretty upset and at one point she spanks him pretty badly. The child who must've been around 3 yr old started crying inconsolably. And she goes like "don't f.. cry now. You was asking for it"

I felt so bad for the little defenseless kid. I wanted to intervene but I was highly outnumbered in that environment. Nobody said a word and to my surprise most people reacted as this a mundane incident.

So, that brings me to the question of, how would you reacted to the verbal and physical abuse the child was receiving?

Is there a quick and effective way to denounce these people?
I also have seen similar incidents on the subway.
I'll put it like this - when I was a kid, if anybody's parent caught u doing something bad on the block they had the right to hit u. Then u caught it from ur mother or father after they told them so u really caught it twice.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-19-2013, 09:52 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Quote:
I didn't even bother reading the wall of nonsensical rambling by Coltrane.

Well did you at least see this part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
You might have said:

"It is really tough raising children. Does the child often react this way? Have you tried this or that? This is what I have found to work, try this. I am an experienced parent, if you need any advice, here is my number, call me anytime.
Let me pay for your meal."

THAT is an example of *true* concern and action! Non Judgmental! Comprehending the state of that parent and child's environment. Not super imposing your set of values onto another, of whom you know nothing and have no comprehension!
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Precisely.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:11 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Well did you at least see this part?

Precisely.
That's just plain silly.
What am I supposed to be an on-call psychologist to abusive parents now?

Call me what you want, but if I see a so-called parent publicly hitting their child and later cursing him out for crying, you bet I'm gonna be judgemental.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Quote:
That's just plain silly.
What am I supposed to be an on-call psychologist to abusive parents now?

Call me what you want, but if I see a so-called parent publicly hitting their child and later cursing him out for crying, you bet I'm gonna be judgemental.
You asked a question, right? You seemed to care so much for the little kid, yet you didn't care ENOUGH to say anything or lend your hand to help the parent you want to ridicule now? So in short you really didn't care at all. You said. . . .

Quote:
I felt so bad for the little defenseless kid. I wanted to intervene but I was highly outnumbered in that environment. Nobody said a word and to my surprise most people reacted as this a mundane incident.

So, that brings me to the question of, how would you reacted to the verbal and physical abuse the child was receiving?

Is there a quick and effective way to denounce these people?
Fear stopped you from intervening. Not the people around you, regardless of what they would have thought.

I'm not saying what the parent did was right, I despise people hitting their children in public (in a way I believe it effects their self esteem, that's another discussion however) but your reaction was just about as helpful as everyone else's. Don't come on the forum and talk about what you saw, hoping others will agree with you, when you didn't do anything to begin with.

That's why I quoted Coltrane, especially that part of his post. He answered your question yet you're too closed-minded to see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting