Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:04 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post

So in practice only #2 or #3 could happen. If #2 happened, then no harm no foul, but if #3 happened it would be counterproductive. The OP's family would have less opportunity to keep an eye on things and make sure the girls are OK (through keeping the lines of communication open and through visiting to see how the girls are doing in person). Speaking up won't keep the girls on the West Coast, it won't make the girls any safer (it will either maintain the status quo or make them less safe), and it won't strengthen the relationship between the OP and the SIL (it will either maintain the status quo or damage it). The only possible upside is that the OP will feel good that she's shared her misgivings, and I for one don't think that's worth the real risks of speaking up here.

Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post

I suspect that you disliked your MIL as much as I dislike mine. I get it and mine is still alive. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't consider whether her advice will actually benefit my child. Fortunately, the nutso lady has decided that she doesn't ever want to speak to me (for reasons in her old mind) along with a number of other people that she has written off her communication list. LOL. She has to do her, I guess.

Seriously, though, for me, it is not about who it comes from. The Bible says you can learn something from even a FOOL in some cases. Your comment about cleverness indicates that you despised that she was trying to manipulate you. I would have simply and gently told her woman to woman that my goal is to do what is best for my child so please be direct with me so that I can ensure that I understand the full scope of her viewpoints. After her discussing her viewpoint with me, I would have thanked her acknowledging her years of experience, and told her that I will take it back to my husband and we will make a decision. I would come back to her and let her know our decision after it was made. Basically, I would handle the situation as two adults handle things.

You asked why an adult has to be "humble" in circumstances. MY reason for being humble is bc the Bible says that sometimes you have to shut your mouth and open your ears when you are trying to consider a point. To say that it comes from your **MIL** and you are not going to listen and she tries to cleverly give you advice that you do not want has NOTHING to do with whether the advice is good for your CHILD. I stay focused on what is best for my child, not where the information comes from.

With regard to your last question, we were doing what you would consider to be just meddling and causing more stress for my sister. Although I'm sure that my niece was happy that she didn't have to repeat a few grades in elementary school. We sure did cause stress for her mommy, though. Stress until she got it together, that is. No, it was not physical danger. It was more like school failure, lack of age-appropriate oversight of a young child, leaving a child with a new boyfriend, etc. You know, harmless stuff that never ends up hurting the child. Stuff that you would have just said, well, she's not mine. Hope all goes ok.
I haven't been in a place with someone like a sister where I thought I would need to intervene like you did. It sounds like your family though leads their life a bit differently than ours does in the respect that you are even in the position to know all of these details. If someone in my extended family is leaving kids with new boyfriends, etc., I wouldn't know(although I don't think any such situations are occurring.) I wouldn't automatically know about school failures etc. I can't say I wouldn't do anything, just haven't been in that position. But it sounds like in some respect, you were drug in to the situation with your sister, which is different than what is going on in the OP>

Old 04-26-2013, 11:51 AM

@Lovelysummer, I had some comments that I'd meant to include in my earlier post regarding comments about MILs.

Most of what my MIL did with me was to find a way to cleverly express her PREFERENCES, not give actual advice that was warranted.

I'd construe advice as...."The baby feels hot and has spots that looks like chickenpox, maybe you should call the doctor" . That wasn't what she did. She expressed her preferences about what I should name my baby, or distaste for the idea I might consider private school, etc., etc. I didn't desire her opinions about decisions that only involved my husband and I.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
What would you do in her place? You're a widow with kids, you remarry, your husband is transferred across the country. What would you do??

Old 04-29-2013, 08:39 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What would you do in her place? You're a widow with kids, you remarry, your husband is transferred across the country. What would you do??
Exactly what the woman did.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

If I became a widow, for me I'm not sure I could see myself remarrying very soon. I'd have no problem moving though across the country, if I thought it was the right decision.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:48 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VyseTheQuick View Post
I was more concerned with the effect of moving away from the family they're close to 6 months after losing their father. There's no damage from that?
Even if there was huge damage, you really think anything you can say will have a difference?

Save your breath and your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting