U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2013, 01:47 PM
 
Location: My beloved Bluegrass
14,093 posts, read 9,822,859 times
Reputation: 18941

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Now the principal has cancelled the dance. Because of a threatening email. Sent from overseas. Seems like she's just taking her ball and going home.

BTW, for those of you who agree with Ms. Moffat that the dresses would be "distracting", what exactly would they be "distracting" from?
They are not distracting from..... they are distracting to. They are distracting to middle school boys, who already have enough hormone troubles without that being thrown in the mix. Yeah, yeah, yeah, they should be able to behave.....what the girls wear shouldn't matter....why should she not be able to wear what she wants because of him.....etc. But, any principal in their right mind would rather avoid problems than have to confront them. Were I the principal, I would cancel before I relinquished my dress code. Caving in would send the wrong message to the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2013, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Denver area
21,149 posts, read 22,147,144 times
Reputation: 35614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't think distracting is necessarily the right word. But I do think it is ok for schools to have dress codes, and I think it is ok to enforce those dress codes at school functions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think the statement the principal made was very unfortunate. I also don't think the term "distracting" was appropriate.

I am a fairly laid back parent, and am only concerned about how my own children dress. If people want to dress their 10 year-old in a transparent body suit, that's their business.

For me there are 2 issues of importance:

1) There are dress codes everywhere, particularly in schools. Any relatively intelligent parent knows this.

2) There are serious issues facing education in this country. People choosing to make this topic one to fall on their sword over, take up the school district time over, elicit parent support over, and involve the press in is not only pathetic, but illuminates why we are up the creek without a paddle in education.
Yes. Both of these pretty much cover my thoughts on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2013, 01:52 PM
 
Location: My beloved Bluegrass
14,093 posts, read 9,822,859 times
Reputation: 18941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
2) There are serious issues facing education in this country. People choosing to make this topic one to fall on their sword over, take up the school district time over, elicit parent support over, and involve the press in is not only pathetic, but illuminates why we are up the creek without a paddle in education.
I so agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2013, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,031 posts, read 98,929,643 times
Reputation: 31501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They are not distracting from..... they are distracting to. They are distracting to middle school boys, who already have enough hormone troubles without that being thrown in the mix. Yeah, yeah, yeah, they should be able to behave, what the girls wear shouldn't matter, why should she not be able to wear what she wants because of him.....etc. But, any principal in their right mind would rather avoid problems than have to confront them. Were I the principal, I would cancel before I relinquished my dress code. Caving in would send the wrong message to the kids.
And their parents! What are these parents thinking?

I have two daughters. I agree to the fullest extent possible that girls should be able to wear what they want, in public, w/o worrying about being a distraction. After all, girls wear far fewer square inches at a beach party (as do the boys).

However, why choose this issue to "wave a banner" as a friend of mine used to say? Is anyone going to be hurt by requiring the girls to wear strapped dresses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2013, 03:37 PM
 
4,586 posts, read 4,420,857 times
Reputation: 4337
There should be more principals requiring this. This is "Middle school", and not HS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2013, 04:42 PM
 
9,339 posts, read 13,886,011 times
Reputation: 9406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They are not distracting from..... they are distracting to. They are distracting to middle school boys, who already have enough hormone troubles without that being thrown in the mix.
Makes no sense. What, exactly, are the middle school boys supposed to be paying attention to at the dance that a bare shoulder would prevent them from paying attention to? That's what "distracting" is. It's a dance, a social event. If the middle school boys are paying attention to the middle school girls (and vice versa), that's not a problem, it's not a distraction at all. If the boys are paying attention to the girls' shoulders, the principal should count her blessings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2013, 04:55 PM
 
5,654 posts, read 5,118,766 times
Reputation: 10163
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Makes no sense. What, exactly, are the middle school boys supposed to be paying attention to at the dance that a bare shoulder would prevent them from paying attention to? That's what "distracting" is. It's a dance, a social event. If the middle school boys are paying attention to the middle school girls (and vice versa), that's not a problem, it's not a distraction at all. If the boys are paying attention to the girls' shoulders, the principal should count her blessings.
LOL. in some strapless dresses, shoulders are not what is emphasized. Heh.

Really it depends on the dress and the body type the dress is on.

That said, no girls should be held responsible for all that, but in general, middle school is on the young side to have to navigate this stuff to begin with. High school juniors need to be able to navigate it all. Middle schoolers are young enough that they shouldn't be contemplating each other's cleavage up close and personal in the first place IMO. They just got working parts the day before yesterday. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2013, 08:39 PM
 
Location: My beloved Bluegrass
14,093 posts, read 9,822,859 times
Reputation: 18941
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
If the boys are paying attention to the girls' shoulders, the principal should count her blessings.
Haven't spent a lot of time with middle school students who aren't related to you, have you? It's not the shoulders, it's the issues shoulderless dresses create for other body parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2013, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,449,506 times
Reputation: 7702
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think this is ridiculous. Some shorts are so short to leave nothing to the imagination and I doubt they ban those. How about tight pants and leggings? What do you think about this?

Strapless Dresses Too ‘Distracting’ for N.J. School Dance - ABC News
I wonder if something like this would be within the dress code? It's got straps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2013, 10:24 PM
 
9,339 posts, read 13,886,011 times
Reputation: 9406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
LOL. in some strapless dresses, shoulders are not what is emphasized. Heh.
Gotta admit, when I think "strapless dress for school dance", I'm thinking more this


than this

But as others have demonstrated one can emphasize as much if not more in a dress with straps.


Quote:
That said, no girls should be held responsible for all that, but in general, middle school is on the young side to have to navigate this stuff to begin with.
Well, then, you probably shouldn't have a formal dance to begin with; the whole point of such an event is to allow them to navigate this sort of stuff in a relatively safe and chaperoned environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top