Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:35 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The photo in the article is clearly marked to show it is NOT from an 8th grade dance, it is used to show the type of dress. I looked closely, because none of those girls struck me as 8th graders.

So, do you think schools should not have the right to set dress standards?
Where did I ever say that? I just don't think that middle school girls are too young for strapless dresses. Nor do I think the dresses shown in the picture are provacative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 04:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Absolutely. My son is 14 and in 8th grade. His female friends definitely have enough chest to hold up a strapless dress.

Honestly, I don't think that 14 is too young to wear a strapless dress.

14 would be on the older end for 8th grade. My dd was 14 as a freshman in HS. Most middle schools start in 6th grade so you are talking anywhere from 11-14 yo.

Regardless, if the school has a dress code, it has a dress code. No one is saying they "can't" wear a strapless dress to a non-school function.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:39 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
14 would be on the older end for 8th grade. My dd was 14 as a freshman in HS. Most middle schools start in 6th grade so you are talking anywhere from 11-14 yo.

Regardless, if the school has a dress code, it has a dress code. No one is saying they "can't" wear a strapless dress to a non-school function.
Most 8th graders should be 14 or nearly 14 by the end of the school year (this is a graduation dance). It's an 8th grade dance that is at issue.

I am not of the mindset that "rules are rules" and that all students should blindly follow rules. Rules need to make sense.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:46 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Most 8th graders should be 14 or nearly 14 by the end of the school year (this is a graduation dance). It's an 8th grade dance that is at issue.

I am not of the mindset that "rules are rules" and that all students should blindly follow rules. Rules need to make sense.
The "sense" here is that there is a dress code that the school has. I don't see the sense in the school saying the rules are different for one grade only - frankly a dress is just not that all-important. It's a dance. The school has a dress code. There isn't anything wrong with enforcing the dress code. Wearing a strapless gown is not a "right". They are all presumably going on to high school. They can wear the strapless dress to prom - which will have dress codes as well (ie they can't wear jeans or tennis shoes) - the same rules apply for every age that attends. No different rules for seniors as opposed to freshmen.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:09 PM

687 posts, read 1,494,306 times
As a mom of 2 daughters, I say I'd rather see my daughters in a simple strapless dress than some of these dresses cut "down to here, up to there" that some teens show up in. Our middle school tried and tried to implement a dress code for 8th grade promotion and dance that would prevent the kids from looking trashy. The parents either had no control of their kids, or thought it was OK for their 13-14-year-old daughters to show up looking like they were trying to pick up guys at a nightclub. They looked ridiculous in their 4-inch heels they couldn't walk in, and their open-backed, deep-cut, revealing dresses. The school finally cancelled the promotion ceremony and dance. Instead, the kids got a regular awards assembly, with the 8th graders getting a promotion certificate. The principal in this article was wrong in saying the girls couldn't dress a particular way because the boys couldn't handle it, but I agree that 8th graders shouldn't be dressing like high school seniors.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:35 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
I swear, people love to make the biggest deal out of the littlest and dumbest of things.

As a parent, I would have called the principal on her comment about distracting boys, right then and there when she said it, and given her the chance to correct herself. But anything beyond that is just taking it way too far, including going to the superintendent and the media. It's a middle school dance. Who the hell cares? In the grand scheme of things, is it really worth all the ruckus? A middle school aged child has a lifetime of dances and events ahead of them, and soon will not even remember or care about a stupid eighth grade dance. If there's a dress code, follow it or don't go. It's not like the school is telling your kid what to wear to a friend's party. It's a school event. They make the rules. And, it's an optional event. You have the option of not participating.

If this is the biggest problem these people have, they truly live charmed lives and should not be complaining.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:15 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
As the parent of a 14-year-old daughter, I don't have any problem with the dress code requirement.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think this is ridiculous. Some shorts are so short to leave nothing to the imagination and I doubt they ban those. How about tight pants and leggings? What do you think about this?

Strapless Dresses Too ‘Distracting’ for N.J. School Dance - ABC News
I'm not surprised and I'm not outraged. Why do you doubt they ban short shorts? Every school I know of bans short shorts.

It says dressy pants are ok for girls to wear so it doesn't sound very formal to me. This is so not something I'd bug the school about as a parent.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The "sense" here is that there is a dress code that the school has. I don't see the sense in the school saying the rules are different for one grade only - frankly a dress is just not that all-important. It's a dance. The school has a dress code. There isn't anything wrong with enforcing the dress code. Wearing a strapless gown is not a "right". They are all presumably going on to high school. They can wear the strapless dress to prom - which will have dress codes as well (ie they can't wear jeans or tennis shoes) - the same rules apply for every age that attends. No different rules for seniors as opposed to freshmen.
This.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I'm pretty sure that was a dress code at my daughters 8th grade graduation ceremony back in 2001. I wouldn't have put her in anything strapless or formal for that matter. Semi formalish (think nice party dress) was the thing. Regular old dances? Most kids wore simple, comfy clothing and nothing TOO fancy. I imagine if it's not allowed during the regular school day (ie: strapless, halter, tube tops etc) it isn't allowed at a school dance either. I'm ok with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting