Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 10:14 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,397,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post

Okay, I am gonna be honest and admit that I have never heard the name Declan said aloud. Would someone please tell me how it is pronounced? Thanks.

I first heard the name in the movie "The Jackal" where Richard Gere plays an IRA terrorist named Declan Mulqueen.

Here is a clip form the movie in which the name Declan is used.

The Jackal (10/10) Movie CLIP - Kneel Down Declan (1997) HD - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 11:11 AM

993 posts, read 2,290,431 times
Had a customer who named their son "Chaos".

Old 05-01-2013, 11:17 AM

4 posts, read 5,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, keep an open mind, because the way it looks like it's going, your Declan may take a Harper to the prom someday.
Giggle. So true!

Old 05-01-2013, 11:19 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
Had a customer who named their son "Chaos".
LOL!

My neighbor has two bulldogs - Chaos and Rogue!

Old 05-01-2013, 12:14 PM

541 posts, read 1,144,742 times
Had a neighbor who named their son Blade! The dad was hotshot army ranger/special forces.

We moved before they had any more children, so who knows what they named any other children.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I really don't get people who call their children Richard. Its a nice name, but it gets shortened to Dick.

Also, I am intrigued by some of the bad names among the black community, like Makayla, Diamond, Destiny, Nevaeh, etc. These are among the top 30 names.
I don't know of anyone under the age of 80 who goes by Dick. I know a Rich and a Rick.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:47 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
I know a family that named their kids all names starting with J. Janessa, Jessica, Jared, etc.

I recently met someone who named their son Grizzly. I thought it was weird at first, but I've gotten more used to it.

One person I know named their son Diesel. I know some people may think Grizzly is more odd, but Diesel to me just conjures images of black smoke that smells bad.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Kjersti/Cjersti? How would you pronounce that? Did you make that name up or is it actually somene's name?

It is a variation of Christie. Pronounced "Chairs Tea" It is used in Europe and Scandinavia. Rarely in the US. I think there are three in the US. At least a dozen in Germany and a lot in Scandinavia. It is the name of a character in the book "Giants of the Earth"

A kid named "Bob" nowadays would be unique. No one else in the class would have that name.

We still get a lot of Bob, James, Don, Dan, Mike. It is still common although less common than it was. I remember in college my mother took a message "Bob called, call him back right away" I knew something like 18 bobs who could have called. Fortunately I found the right one after about eight calls (actually i think it was the third one I called, but missed him and he called me back when I got up to around number 8).

A coworker had a son last year and named him Robert. Calls him Robbie. I'm sure he'll be the only one in his class, sitting there surrounded by Jaydens and Aidens and Declans and KaShawns and DaShawns and RaShawns.

I think it is funny when people try to be different by doing something that is trendy and they end up declaring to the world "I am a sheep" while attempting to declare "I am unique, (just like everyone else who is trying to be unique)."

When we named our kids, we wanted them to have unique names, but not freaky or offensive or something they would be tormented for. We spent weeks going through the baby name book eliminating everything that was popular, trendy or common, all TV names, really weird names, and all flowers, rocks, body parts, cities, animals, etc. That still left hundreds of choices. One son did get family name which is very common (Donald) - I think he ma be the only Donnie in his class. One name we thought was unusual but it turned out to be very common that year (Kyla). Popular names go in cycles. A few years ago, Trevor, Caitlin, Jaimie, were probably the most common names. Now it seems to be names from TV shows and movies, or politicians. I wonder whether there will be a rash of Baraks in coming years. Probably not a lot of Husseins. ( I had an aunt Ted - named after Teddy Rosevelt).

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-01-2013 at 01:05 PM..

Old 05-01-2013, 12:59 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
If a parent is going to use the name Richard, they should consider their last name. The guy who bought out prior home was Richard Schuetz (Dick Sh!ts). after we saw what he did to our house, we decided we would have named him that too. But how could his parents have known?

Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 PM

24,458 posts, read 17,203,514 times
My wife is from Ireland and when we thought we were having a baby she was coming up with all sorts of weird Irish names. They were strong but why confuse people as to the spellings and the pronunciation not to mention the bully factor if little Fione isn't up to defending himself. I thought it would be good to name the baby Prince - - - but then in everyday life child would go with their second name like Benjamin or Maximusor Jackson then in a formal setting like a graduation he would be called Prince Benjamin --- . There could be a story that his Mom was decended from Irish royalty and had fled to America to avoid persecution by the English.
I thought it was a great idea but my wife thought it was stupid and then baby didn't make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting