U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:54 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,830,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
As parents we've all come across other parents who were so eager and happy to inform us of what they recently named their little one(s). It's quite likely that we've heard names that we thought we downright dumb and/or ridiculous but we're pretty much obligated to smile and say something to the effect of "gee what a nice name." Quite honestly it's none of our business what others name their kids and there's really no use in offending another parent or getting into an argument with them over such a thing. But this is an anonymous internet forum so let's have at it.

We named our son Declan because we loved the name but I'm sure many people were thinking to themselves that it was a horrible name while I was telling them what I named my son.

So what are some of the names that you have coem across or heard that you love or hate?

I'll start........

There's a little girl at my kids' daycare named Brooklyn. It's a city, not a name.
Just because you do not like a name does not mean it is a stupid name, it simply means you do not like it. Most of my grand children have non traditional names and their names fit them and their personalities. Have you looked up the definition of your child's name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 04:54 PM

51,291 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
So true. Some of my favorite girl's names such as Olivia and Charlotte were old fashioned when I was growing up in the 90s. I had never met anyone named either. Now, Olivia is a top 10 name. Many of the parents of these little Olivias are a few years older than me - something must have influenced us all to swing back the other way.

I see Declan as being the next Aidan. Aidan is a great Irish name, but now it seems like every Goldstein, Garcia, and Baranski has a little Aidan in the family. Nothing wrong with it - just a popular name. I know several Declans under the age of 4 - none are from Irish families. It's starting. :P
My mother's name is Charlotte. She used to hate it. It was her aunt's name, her grandmother's name, and her great-grandmother's name. My mother is 84 years old, and she gets a kick out of the fact that her name has become popular for babies now.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:58 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,974,858 times
The next trend will be naming girls, traditionally names for boys.

Michael, John, William will soon be female names, and Jennifer, Kathy, Michelle will soon become male names.

Gender neutral names, you know..

Old 04-29-2013, 05:01 PM

5,463 posts, read 4,581,673 times
The absolute worst is when parents pick a fairly common name and insist on giving it a weird and unusual spelling. Jaene instead of Jane, for example. The poor kid.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:03 PM

84,989 posts, read 98,832,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
The next trend will be naming girls, traditionally names for boys.

Michael, John, William will soon be female names, and Jennifer, Kathy, Michelle will soon become male names.

Gender neutral names, you know..
Actually, once names go from male to female, they never go back. Jordan, Sidney (Sydney), Taylor, Riley, etc are now almost totally female. I've never heard of a name going from female to male, except for rare cases, e.g. "A Boy Named Sue".

Old 04-29-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, once names go from male to female, they never go back. Jordan, Sidney (Sydney), Taylor, Riley, etc are now almost totally female. I've never heard of a name going from female to male, except for rare cases, e.g. "A Boy Named Sue".
Vivian, Beverly, Allison--all originally male names.

More recently, we've had Ashley, Shelby, and the ones you've named above.

And when's the last time you've heard of a boy named Stacy since Stacy Keach?

I know a woman named Aaron. Her mother just wanted a boy so badly she only picked one name and stuck with it. Her sister has a boy's name, too. I think she finally got a brother.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:10 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,509,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluberrie View Post
how about the name Tinley for a girl?
No. Just no.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
No. Just no.
You could give an oil can as a gift at the baby shower.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:13 PM

8 posts, read 10,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
No. Just no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You could give an oil can as a gift at the baby shower.
ok I didn't think it was that bad. Does it really invoke thoughts of garage tune ups lol

Old 04-29-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluberrie View Post
ok I didn't think it was that bad. Does it really invoke thoughts of garage tune ups lol
No, I was thinking of this guy:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting