Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 10:53 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,175,415 times

Advertisements

@CraigCreek- Xhafer is pronounced like the last name "Schaefer', but with a Zh- sound instead of Sh-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 11:04 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,637,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Okay, I definitely didn't have time to read this whole thread so I hope I'm not repeating this... but I used to work in a pharmacy in Milwaukee and we would see some craaaazy names come through...

My all time favorite was:
LA-A (Pronounced LaDasha)...

Horrible. Just horrible.
snopes.com: Le-a

Old 10-04-2014, 11:31 AM

4,671 posts, read 3,427,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
@CraigCreek- Xhafer is pronounced like the last name "Schaefer', but with a Zh- sound instead of Sh-
I love the name Schaeffer. Years ago while vacationing at Rangley Lake in Maine we had a waitress named Schaeffer. We feel in love with the name. The day we came home we got a kitten and named it that. Two years later I got pregnant. We seriously thought of changing the cat's name if I had a girl. Luckily, for the cat, we had a boy.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:50 PM

6,439 posts, read 6,869,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Connie, Bonnie, Ronnie were all popular names that year, also my birth year.
Righto, she has a cousin named Ronnie and a friend named Bonnie.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:48 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Righto, she has a cousin named Ronnie and a friend named Bonnie.
There was a pair of twins in my class, brother and sister, Ronnie (full name) and Bonnie. Rhyming names were popular then too. I also know a pair of twins named Bonnie and Connie, a group of sisters named Micki, Nicki and Vicki.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:00 AM

291 posts, read 390,403 times
I gave my children ethnic names not to be original, but because that is their heritage. The names are spelled phonetically, so I thought how could you misspell this, given that you literally just have to sound it out? Well, I didn't think of two things. First of all, small children are hard to understand sometimes. Second of all, Americans are apparently illiterate. Like, why would you put a "t" before an "s" in the syllable, ast?

The meanings are pleasant, and they have short nicknames and middle names from their more Anglo-Saxon-ish side.

I thought there is NO WAY these names will be common, though that's not why I chose the names.

Well, the first name is rising in popularity exponentially due to its presence in a book published after the child's birth, and the second turns out to be a homonym of two other names from other cultures which are very common around here.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:52 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,590,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeZeeZee View Post
I gave my children ethnic names not to be original, but because that is their heritage. The names are spelled phonetically, so I thought how could you misspell this, given that you literally just have to sound it out? Well, I didn't think of two things. First of all, small children are hard to understand sometimes. Second of all, Americans are apparently illiterate. Like, why would you put a "t" before an "s" in the syllable, ast?

The meanings are pleasant, and they have short nicknames and middle names from their more Anglo-Saxon-ish side.

I thought there is NO WAY these names will be common, though that's not why I chose the names.

Well, the first name is rising in popularity exponentially due to its presence in a book published after the child's birth, and the second turns out to be a homonym of two other names from other cultures which are very common around here.
Now I'm curious, what names did you give your children?

Old 10-05-2014, 08:28 PM

23,878 posts, read 32,156,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I love the name Schaeffer. Years ago while vacationing at Rangley Lake in Maine we had a waitress named Schaeffer. We feel in love with the name. The day we came home we got a kitten and named it that. Two years later I got pregnant. We seriously thought of changing the cat's name if I had a girl. Luckily, for the cat, we had a boy.
It might be my age, but when I think of Schaffer, all I can think of is "the one beer to have when you're having more than one!"

Old 10-05-2014, 09:03 PM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It might be my age, but when I think of Schaffer, all I can think of is "the one beer to have when you're having more than one!"
You beat me to it. I read that post and wondered if Shaeffer beer is still around.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:25 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,809,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You beat me to it. I read that post and wondered if Shaeffer beer is still around.
And here I was, thinking of ink pens...although I believe they spelled it a bit differently.

I suppose a girl named Schaeffer might be expected to make her mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting