Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 01:28 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
My name was in the top 15 for the year I was born, and somewhere close to that ranking for about a decade before and after. Even in the state I live in, my name was in the top 20 for my birth year. I have known a total of two other people with my first name, and both were 20+ years older then me. Then there are names that were apparently a lot less popular then my name, and I know dozens of people with that name. Weird how that happens.

Maybe they just cluster in some places and are very sparse in others. Odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 01:32 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
One day at Disney World, we heard a mother call her two children: "Eli! Lilly!"

We figured she must be a pharmacist.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:20 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Reading this thread makes me happy I was able to pull off giving my daughter a name that not one other kid had in our entire school system!
Why? I just don't understand this obsessive need to select a name no other child has. A child is unique no matter his name.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:08 PM

11 posts, read 15,067 times
Im tired of the Ayden, Jayden, Cayden, Hayden, Brayden thing going on.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:17 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,514 times
Quote:
My name was in the top 15 for the year I was born, and somewhere close to that ranking for about a decade before and after. Even in the state I live in, my name was in the top 20 for my birth year. I have known a total of two other people with my first name, and both were 20+ years older then me. Then there are names that were apparently a lot less popular then my name, and I know dozens of people with that name. Weird how that happens.

There are three variations of my name in the top 10 in 1959!

I actually have a hyphenated first name, so I am the only one with MY name.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:39 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
There are three variations of my name in the top 10 in 1959!

I actually have a hyphenated first name, so I am the only one with MY name.
Deb-bee?

Old 10-13-2014, 04:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Why? I just don't understand this obsessive need to select a name no other child has. A child is unique no matter his name.
What makes the poster you responded to obsessive? My kids also are among the few in the US with their names (including first and last names). So what? That's not what we were trying to do.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:03 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Deb-bee?
Pronounced Debdashbee? Can we get that to be the next name everyone claims that a friend of a friend's second cousin's best friend's third ex wife's mail carrier has?

Old 10-14-2014, 01:12 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Deb-bee?
No, but that looks cute.

Debbi is the first part.
Quote:
Pronounced Debdashbee? Can we get that to be the next name everyone claims that a friend of a friend's second cousin's best friend's third ex wife's mail carrier has?
In my case, the hyphen is silent....

although a friend's sister once called me Debbi hyken .... because she could not say hyphen, so that has kind of stuck.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:02 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Well, I didn't HAVE to have a name no other child has. It just worked out that way. I named her for my MIL, who died just before my daughter was born. She had an old-fashioned name that is not overused. I think my daughter met two other girls growing up that had her name. Now there will be more, but it still hasn't risen to the top and probably never will.

Put it like this: I was happy my child did NOT have the same name as ten other girls in her class. Yeah, every kid is beautiful and unique and a special snowflake, yeah yeah yeah, but when they're all named the same thing, it takes away from some of the uniqueness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting