Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 07:22 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
will a judge go so far to even issue one for a stupid spat between parents? No law has been broken, no threats have been made. Let them try... they'll be laughed out of court. And what grounds do you have for one anyway?
I think it's more that they would claim harassment and / or stalking type behavior because he won't have any closure if we don't talk to him and he would be frantic to get ahold of her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 07:25 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
See, I just don't see the next logical step that the parents are going to charge your son with harassment. Maybe there was more to this conversation then the above condensed version, but if you simply call those parents and say, "I'm sorry but we've been thinking about what you said, and we've decided that it's not our place to tell our son. This is something that needs to come from your daughter." What could they say to that?? They cannot force you to be the bad guys. You should explain just what you said above.
I can explain further, but I will need to know what part was not clear...

Old 05-04-2013, 08:06 PM

90 posts, read 311,714 times
Make sure he understands about birth control and being responsible. I predict that she's going to feel the need to rebel, start sneaking out of the house, and things will get frisky, if they haven't already.

I had friends in high school with extremely controlling parents, and this is what happened. It's the nature of the teenage beast.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:09 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I think it's more that they would claim harassment and / or stalking type behavior because he won't have any closure if we don't talk to him and he would be frantic to get ahold of her.
I guess it's going to depend on what he does to try to get a hold of her. It seems logical that he would want to talk to her. Who would not understand that. He cannot stalk her or harass her . . . is that what you are afraid of?

If she has been sneaking around to see him, maybe she can figure out a way to break up with him or who knows?

This is not your battle. It's too bad you got THIS involved.

The girl's parents have a lot of nerve.

I would just let it go and see what happens.

Advise your son to have good judgment and to be a gentleman. I would not make this a huge drama. It's like you got sucked into a teenage soap opera.

I would focus on other things.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:41 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Oh, ok... I understand. All the more reason for you to tell him.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:19 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile A meeting with all of you

Meet somewhere in between - park, etc.

Parents of the girl
Your son, their daughter
You

Then have them explain.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:29 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
I can explain further, but I will need to know what part was not clear...
The conversation that your husband had with the girls parents sounds like they want you two to break the news to your son. What I don't get is that you then jump to the conclusion that your son will be so distraught that he will do something crazy and then will be sued for harassment. That just seems a little crazy to me. If you really think that's a possibility then all the more reason for you parents to stay out of it. The girls parents are manipulating you. If someone told my husband that he needed to break up our son and his GF, he would have laughed in disbelief.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:50 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Meet somewhere in between - park, etc.

Parents of the girl
Your son, their daughter
You

Then have them explain.
Not picking on you Bette, but several folks here have apparently never had to deal with these kinds of parents.

They are NOT going to ever agree to "meet somewhere".

They do not believe they owe this boy any explanations and have absolutely no qualms about breaking things off for their daughter this way because that is how controlling they are. THEY BELIEVE THEY ARE RIGHT and that is not open for discussion.

They have said what they needed to say and expect our OP and her husband to make sure their son understands the situation or risk having charges filed against him for either harassment or stalking.

This is a very serious situation, one our OP and her husband could not just ignore or laugh at.

I will thinking of them on Sunday and sending them positive vibes.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:14 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I think Lovesmountains has a good handle on this unfortunate situation. Regardless of how irrationally the girls parents are behaving, the OP has one concern, and that's protecting her son.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:28 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
If someone told my husband that he needed to break up our son and his GF, he would have laughed in disbelief.
So what you're saying is, that if you wouldn't allow your daughter to date, you'd be the one to tell the boyfriend? Or is there another point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting