Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 09:35 AM

677 posts, read 1,193,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
And just curious - how do you plan to control that?
When teens start to date there's no way it can go unnoticed. They start asking for more money, there's a big change in habits, uneven hours to get home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 09:40 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I would call the parents back up and tell them that their daughter needs to talk to your son. I have no idea why parents would be involved in this. It is neither her parents place or yours to pass this information along. You are doing your son no favors acting as the go between.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I remember back in the day when my parents told me that I couldn't see a particular boyfriend. Oh yeah that worked. We still found ways to see each other. Your son is old enough to handle this his own way. I'd leave it between him and his girlfriend.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:43 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
When teens start to date there's no way it can go unnoticed. They start asking for more money, there's a big change in habits, uneven hours to get home.
You indicated that you'd "not allow" it until they were self supporting - even through university. Keep in mind that university students are generally not teens for very long, and they are often not living at home. Dating does not have to be expensive - especially as a college student - there are many campus events that are inexpensive or free. You really won't have any control at a certain point. Nor should you.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:44 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I would call the parents back up and tell them that their daughter needs to talk to your son. I have no idea why parents would be involved in this. It is neither her parents place or yours to pass this information along. You are doing your son no favors acting as the go between.
Best response of the day. absolutely

put the ball back in their court. right now.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:46 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
They don't need anything to have feelings for each other. People can't help their feelings. Your kids will just go underground with their relationships.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:49 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You indicated that you'd "not allow" it until they were self supporting - even through university. Keep in mind that university students are generally not teens for very long, and they are often not living at home. Dating does not have to be expensive - especially as a college student - there are many campus events that are inexpensive or free. You really won't have any control at a certain point. Nor should you.
Took the words right out of my mouth maciesmom!

JayN - good luck with trying to control dating while they are at college. If you do I can guarantee they will not walk but run to get away from a parent that controlling as fast as they can.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:49 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
hmmmm....are you a parent yet my friend?

You do not seem to understand the gravity of the situation, no offense

The boys parents HAVE to be involved because the girls parents have made it clear that he cannot see or talk to her.

THEY are in control. Our OP is doing HER JOB, which is to educate and protect her child to the best of her ability.

She HAS to pass along what the parents have requested or risk her son being accused of criminal activity such as stalking. All these very tightly wound parents have to do is call the police and file an official report, and before you know it, our OP and her family could be out thousands of dollars in lawyers fees to protect their son and his reputation.

She is indeed doing her son a huge favor by trying to handle this as sensitively and intelligently as possible.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
They don't need anything to have feelings for each other. People can't help their feelings. Your kids will just go underground with their relationships.
Too bad for them. Keep the feelings for themselves. They might go underground, as long as I was the one paying, they would be home at decent hours and only top grades would be accepted.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
JayN - good luck with trying to control dating while they are at college. If you do I can guarantee they will not walk but run to get away from a parent that controlling as fast as they can.
Well, I don't want kids, so it doesn't really matter but I always knew when my brother had a girlfriend long before he would tell me. It's just impossible to go unnoticed to close family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting