Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 10:57 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times

Advertisements

It would be kinder if the OP just kicks the son out of the house now. Pay for the first few months of the rent of apartment and encourage son to get a job, go to school and keep up with the family therapy.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:05 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
She would sabotage that potentially
Now this is just ridiculous. HOW could she do that? By not allowing you? Are you that wussified? She can't sabotage anything you want to do. Or are you just looking for an excuse "not to get involved"? Man, what did your parents do to you to make you so afraid of your wife? You're her gd partner, not her child. MAN UP.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:40 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
This thread has gone from sad to sick. I knew from the beginning the son would end up paying the price for the immaturity of his parents.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:42 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
So one week she grounds him for being up late and having his feet on a table. The next, she disowns him because he wants to grow up. Geeze.......

This woman needs some serious therapy. She is extremely self-centered and loves to play the victim because she got pregnant at 18. Big deal-worse things happen. Ask my sibling and sibling in-law about losing their 11 yo child. Ask a woman or child that grew up in a violent home. I've not really laid into your wife here before because I'm a stranger. Today, her behavior infuriates me.

She lashes out at all around her, you and your son, in anger when she doesn't get her way. She alternates her form of punishment between you and your son. One day it's you, the next it's him. I predict in a day or so you'll be telling us about the blow-up between you two over this. Maybe now you understand why so many of us told you there was no reason to celebrate. She, you and your son have miles to go. Do you see how she acts like a 2 year old throwing a temper tantrum and pounding her feet?

Be a father to your son. Teach him what he needs to know. Please do not let her actions erase all the good work you've done with the kid recently. Typically I don't advocate parents playing against each other. They need to present a united front. In this instance, do what you think is right and be a good father to your son. To heck with her. Maybe that's what it will take for her to FINALLY go to therapy. It's obvious she has no parenting skills. Frankly I think you should also set a place for him at dinner. It really is time to man up here. Quit letting her run rough shod over all of you. Tell her how YOU expect to be treated. Quit making it about her until she shows she deserves that and is willing to work with you on being equal partners. When partners are equal, the needs and wants of both are considered. In this case, it's ALL about her.

Really, irish, what are YOU getting out of this marriage? What do you want? (and you will just have to trust that for me to encourage selfish behavior on your part goes against most everything I know about relationships. Sometimes it's the only way for a partner to see the light.)

Last edited by rrah; 06-13-2013 at 12:27 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 01:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I am honestly thinking this entire thread is a massive fraud. I can't wrap my head around two adults behaving this way, and exhibiting so little self respect in addition to no respect for each other.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:06 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I am honestly thinking this entire thread is a massive fraud. I can't wrap my head around two adults behaving this way, and exhibiting so little self respect in addition to no respect for each other.

I observe that the poster has not said word one about any comments, thoughts or reactions from the supposed therapist.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:08 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
This thread has gone from sad to sick. I knew from the beginning the son would end up paying the price for the immaturity of his parents.
I agree. It is terrible.

My children and every one of their friends learned how to do basic cooking, laundry and cleaning by the time they were early teens, if not earlier. Not that they always did they own cooking & laundry but they could if they needed to do it or if their parents asked them to do it for the family.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:13 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
So one week she grounds him for being up late and having his feet on a table. The next, she disowns him because he wants to grow up. Geeze.......

This woman needs some serious therapy. She is extremely self-centered and loves to play the victim because she got pregnant at 18. Big deal-worse things happen. Ask my sibling and sibling in-law about losing their 11 yo child. Ask a woman or child that grew up in a violent home. I've not really laid into your wife here before because I'm a stranger. Today, her behavior infuriates me.

She lashes out at all around her, you and your son, in anger when she doesn't get her way. She alternates her form of punishment between you and your son. One day it's you, the next it's him. I predict in a day or so you'll be telling us about the blow-up between you two over this. Maybe now you understand why so many of us told you there was no reason to celebrate. She, you and your son have miles to go. Do you see how she acts like a 2 year old throwing a temper tantrum and pounding her feet?

Be a father to your son. Teach him what he needs to know. Please do not let her actions erase all the good work you've done with the kid recently. Typically I don't advocate parents playing against each other. They need to present a united front. In this instance, do what you think is right and be a good father to your son. To heck with her. Maybe that's what it will take for her to FINALLY go to therapy. It's obvious she has no parenting skills. Frankly I think you should also set a place for him at dinner. It really is time to man up here. Quit letting her run rough shod over all of you. Tell her how YOU expect to be treated. Quit making it about her until she shows she deserves that and is willing to work with you on being equal partners. When partners are equal, the needs and wants of both are considered. In this case, it's ALL about her.

Really, irish, what are YOU getting out of this marriage? What do you want? (and you will just have to trust that for me to encourage selfish behavior on your part goes against most everything I know about relationships. Sometimes it's the only way for a partner to see the light.)
Well said.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:31 PM

818 posts, read 857,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I observe that the poster has not said word one about any comments, thoughts or reactions from the supposed therapist.
I just don't post what he says because I think that's private but, I did tell him about the talk I had with my wife( the one about pregnancy) and he( along with you guys) felt it was a step in the right direction

Old 06-13-2013, 01:31 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
I'm wondering the same thing. How can one be so clueless?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting