Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 08:40 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,214,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
The marriage counselor wasn't very happy when I told her about the recent events and told me that, for there to be any improvement, she needs to show up for sessions. I took your guys' advice and talked to him about moving out. I told him it wasn't because of anything he's done wrong( obviously) but because of the marital situation. I offered to pay for the apartment and all the other stuff. I apologized to him for not being the best father and for not sticking up for him. I told him that if and when things improve, I'll move him back in if he wants to.
He doesn't want to move out though. I told him that I would love to sit down and look at schools and visit schools. He brought up his mom and how hurtful her comments were and again I apologized for not sticking up for him immediately. She still isn't talking to him. While I was at therapy, he offered to make her breakfast( a bowl of cereal. Remember his cooking skills are minimal) but she ignored him. When I got home and finally found some free time to research schools with him, his mom passed through the room, he tried to get her to sit down and help us research schools and told her that he really wanted her input, but she kept walking. Dinner was awkward. I had to set his place for him again after it " slipped her mind". He came and started eating, On the bright side, she didn't say anything mean to him, yet, on the other hand, she didn't speak to him at all, even when he complimented the meal. Thankfully, his GF came over soon after dinner and my wife went from moody to happy when she walked in.
Wow. Moderator Cut Doesn't her behavior make you mad and p*ss you off?

Last edited by Jaded; 06-15-2013 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: Flaming

Old 06-14-2013, 09:01 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
I took your guys' advice and talked to him about moving out. I told him it wasn't because of anything he's done wrong( obviously) but because of the marital situation. I offered to pay for the apartment and all the other stuff. I apologized to him for not being the best father and for not sticking up for him. I told him that if and when things improve, I'll move him back in if he wants to.
This part makes me ... nervous.

Do you think he hears this as, "You caused this marital situation"?

I'm concerned he may read it as, "We need to get you out of the house in order to fix our marriage." I guess I think it would be better to frame his move out as the natural next step in his life, not in the context of your marriage.

At least he told you he didn't want to go.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

I'm concerned he may read it as, "We need to get you out of the house in order to fix our marriage." I guess I think it would be better to frame his move out as the natural next step in his life, not in the context of your marriage.

I was thinking the same thing. Mom irrationally says she's "done" and now dad is facilitating his move. It doesn't come across very well.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Mom irrationally says she's "done" and now dad is facilitating his move. It doesn't come across very well.
It would come across better if dad was going with him. Mom deserves it anyway.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
It would come across better if dad was going with him. Mom deserves it anyway.
I agree.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:23 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,811,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Moderator Cut

So, do you intend to discuss this with your therapist?

Moderator Cut

Last edited by Jaded; 06-15-2013 at 01:50 AM.. Reason: Language and personal attacks

Old 06-14-2013, 09:36 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
One of the previous poster nailed it when she called it (emotional) abuse. Its going to take a long while for the OP to find his footing, especially since he's still... hopeful that this marriage can be rectified. Most abuse victims take a long time to come to terms with their experiences and you see that with the OP, it's just ... very klutzy and uncertain as he's trying to make that very necessary change.

As for his wife, I think he needs to leave her as well. But as long as he's still in love with his wife's facade of loving sweetness, he's going to be willing to overlook and make excuses for his wife's true nature. I for one can't get this "slipped her mind" business... What is he trying to say with that?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
I've read this entire thread in one sitting. I've never seen such a dysfunctional family. OP you do not respect her--you fear her and it's a shame you haven't figured out the difference.

This kid sounds like the most mature one in the family. You say you were basically absent his first 6 years while you were in college. You are still absent. Why he isn't on the street corner with a needle up his arm is a big surprise to me.

you need to get a 2 bedroom apartment for you and your son and just move out and you and your son start a new life without you. Never have you mentioned money being of any concern so it sounds like you could manage it.

No need in all 3 of you dying a slow miserable death. At least you and your son might have a chance at happiness. Your wife is beyond help. Yes she is stuck developmentally at about age 12 and I doubt she can recover. Cut your losses while you still are young. You have a chance to grow yourself and possibly take your life in a whole different direction. But stay in therapy to figure out why you have allowed yourself to stay in such a miserable marriage. And find a good lawyer now before she beats you to it.

Stick a fork in it..this marriage is done. Most marriages (should) start off with two adults and troubles come along with kids, illness, career challenges, in-laws, etc. But this marriage started off on the wrong foot from the get go. A perfect example of why kids should not be having kids.

You say you are diabetic. Surely by now you know stress is causing you a great deal of harm. How are you coping with this?I'm sure your health has been compromised. But you have time to recover.

Seems to me you are staying in this mess out of some warped sense of obligation and not love. Your son is now 18. Your wife deserves a chance to grow up herself and I don't think she will even contemplate it with you in the picture. Why should she- you are an enabler in the worse sense of the word.

Last edited by no kudzu; 06-14-2013 at 11:07 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 11:14 PM

818 posts, read 856,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

I for one can't get this "slipped her mind" business... What is he trying to say with that?
"It must've slipped my mind" is what my wife said after I told her that she didn't set a place at the dinner table for our son

Old 06-14-2013, 11:20 PM

818 posts, read 856,881 times
Moderator Cut

I think he read it the way I was saying it. I don't want him exposed to the disfunction going on right now and in order for him to not be exposed, he needs to be out of the house. I'm fully prepared to pay for everything involved in his moving out and anything apartment related. And I'm starting to consider leaving myself

Last edited by Jaded; 06-15-2013 at 01:54 AM.. Reason: Removed deleted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting