Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 11:33 AM

436 posts, read 1,522,931 times

Advertisements

In a few days I will have a high school graduate. What kinds of things did you expect from your child (or will you expect from your child) after they've graduated? I'm looking for things like rules, chores, jobs, just general expectations I guess. Did you let them have the summer "off" and do whatever or did you expect them to start acting more like an adult and start having more responsibilities and planning for their future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 11:37 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,524 times
The day after my graduation my mom woke me up at 6:30 am by tossing me the want ads and telling me to get a job.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:43 AM

214 posts, read 468,020 times
I am in the same boat. We are moving when we sell the house, my son is going to move into a house share so he can go to Nassau community college. once he finishes High school, he will be doing his own laundry and I expect him to cook dinner for the family once a week until he moves out. Once he gets his drivers license I will probably have him do the food shopping. Mostly I am interested in him doing chores that he will need once he's no longer in the nest. next on my list is cleaning the kitchen.

Since he is going to school full time I expect that he will work part time in order to cover his entertainment expenses, but we will cover room, board and gas. If he drops out then he will slowly take on responsibility for supporting himself or he'll have to move down to florida with us.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:51 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
I was expected to have a job and pay board to my parents. I already had a part-time job at a home improvement store and I switched to full time.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:57 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,222,949 times
Does said graduate have any plans for what the next step is?
Trade school
college
full time work

That would be at the top of my list for what I expect, I would expect my graduate to have a plan for the next phase of life.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:00 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,723 times
I did what I did every other summer. I worked. I did my house chores. I prepared to start college in the fall.

I would say good luck to you if you have not already required these types of things from your soon-to-be graduate.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:18 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
My expectations would be that my child had reasonable expectations of what the next step would be towards independence.

I don't understand the thinking that a job hunt can begin after school lets out. Even in our fairly rural area, my kids never had difficulty finding a summer job. They started looking over the winter holiday break, and knew what they would be doing by spring break.

No, summer was not considered a 3 month vacation around here. They all went away for college, and were happy to have money in their accounts by August.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:53 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,491 times
Yeah, our son worked every summer once he got his drivers license so the summer after graduation was no different.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:01 PM

436 posts, read 1,522,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Does said graduate have any plans for what the next step is?
Trade school
college
full time work

That would be at the top of my list for what I expect, I would expect my graduate to have a plan for the next phase of life.
He's planning on going to a community college in the fall. He will have grants that will cover most, if not all of the tuition but he will be responsible for covering whatever the grants do not. I expect him to have a job but he's not found one as of yet. He has been filling out applications but he hasn't even gotten one interview.

I guess I was planning on making his full time job to find a job. The college he wants to attend is 11/2 hours away and he has no car or license yet either. I've told him numerous times that if he plans to attend that school he needs to find a way to get himself there. In general, he's very unmotivated. Most of his friends just "hang out" and have fun all day and I think he expects to do the same. I was fairly certain that was not the norm so I figured I'd ask on here.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:34 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
I think it seems late to be having this discussion. Why does he think he can vacation for 3 mo? Has he not worked previous summers? I thin you need to sit down with him and get it all laid out so everyone is on the same page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting