Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 08:04 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,135 times

Advertisements

I tried to balance it when my kids were this age usually a one week camp, a one week mission trip with our Church and we would have a one week family vacation the rest of the summer they could sleep, hang out at the pool with friends and I would expect them to do a few chores. I am also off during the summer and like to enjoy not having something scheduled all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 07:45 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,481 times
I loved this summer growing up. My mom bought me a membership at the local muni and I played golf all summer. Road my bike and pool hopped at friends houses. Didn't have work to interfere with vacations. My mom was a teacher, so she could keep an eye on me when I was home, which wasn't often

Don't get me wrong, summer jobs are great, but looking back at it, I missed a lot of fun opportunities because I was taking everyones hours at the local supermarket who wanted to go to the beach. Everyone praised me, called me a good worker, but I probably should have spent more time going to the beach or golfing.

Plus I was a much better golfer then than I am now, its pretty depressing.

All this being said, even though I am only 27, it seems I grew up in a different world. I had both grandparents living in town, both my parents went to the high school in town. My dad was a small business owner. There was a bit of an underlying sense that you needed to keep you in line. I feel like some of that is lost now with people moving around.

There is certainly positives of leaving the home town and finding your own way. The amount of guilt and pressure put on my father over such stupid things/small town politics are laughable. But my heart kind of aches that my kids won't be able to ride their bikes to either of their grandparents house for an unplanned lunch, or just to say hi. I had so much fun not having to travel anywhere.

Last edited by Boston_Burbs; 06-07-2013 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting