Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 09:03 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,586,688 times

Advertisements

We recently got Netflix and went to the movies for kids and found the Sesame Street Classics there!!!

These are the orginals of the 70s and 80s which really taught children a lot during that era. Sesame Street taught children so well that parents really didn't have to spend much time teaching their children because it did it for them. Children learned opposites, contrasts. abstract thinking, comparison, phonics, problem solving, safety awareness, numbers, addition, subtraction, alphabets with words that used that letter including demonstration of the meaning of that word, verb, nouns, adverbs, superlatives, cultural diversity, friendship, cooperation, caring, love and respect, even how a bill passed in our government...just to name a few. Big movies stars like Bill Cosby and many others would be guest on these shows during that time. Unlike these childrens' show today which focuses on magic, dancing and an occasional educational moment, the Old School Sesame Street was ALL about educating children NOT entertaining them.

If you parents are really concern about educating your children, then the Sesame Street Classics are the ones you need to help you along. Watch them while you can because they may soon be obsolete/removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 12:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,785,304 times
You can download them on itunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-seaso...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Some episodes are available free. (Sesame Street flashback)

Old 05-30-2013, 01:44 PM

861 posts, read 2,710,331 times
We love the classic Sesames! Such a treasure on Netflix! It brings back such memories... they all come flooding back with certain songs or segments!

Truth be told, the new Sesames aren't bad at all. I agree they are far superior to other children's programs out there today!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:50 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,832,511 times
As good as the older episodes are, they do no good unless the children have an adult to interact with them and help them remember what the whole purpose was of the episode. I watched with my kids so many times I grew bleary eyed and I can remember "Me and my Llama, Going to the Dentist today" and many other songs and riddles and those kids are now 29 and 32!

We do a disservice to our kids by parking them in front of the TV or the computer without proper guidance about what it is we want them to get from the program.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
As good as the older episodes are, they do no good unless the children have an adult to interact with them and help them remember what the whole purpose was of the episode. I watched with my kids so many times I grew bleary eyed and I can remember "Me and my Llama, Going to the Dentist today" and many other songs and riddles and those kids are now 29 and 32!

We do a disservice to our kids by parking them in front of the TV or the computer without proper guidance about what it is we want them to get from the program.
I agree wholeheartedly. Parents being a part of a child(ren) learning experience is mandatory IMO. I even help teens analyze commercials ( i.e. brushing teeth with no foam in the mouth and washing of a face and the makeup is still there ) so they can learn how to do critical thinking and deductive reasoning. I have taken my child and friend's children to Wally mart or the mall to sit and observe people and do rational thinking and personality watch and they actually enjoy it! This is not taught in the school system so the parent have to be involved in their lives.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You can download them on itunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-seaso...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Some episodes are available free. (Sesame Street flashback)
Thanks nana

Old 05-31-2013, 01:10 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,375,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
We recently got Netflix and went to the movies for kids and found the Sesame Street Classics there!!!

These are the orginals of the 70s and 80s which really taught children a lot during that era. Sesame Street taught children so well that parents really didn't have to spend much time teaching their children because it did it for them. Children learned opposites, contrasts. abstract thinking, comparison, phonics, problem solving, safety awareness, numbers, addition, subtraction, alphabets with words that used that letter including demonstration of the meaning of that word, verb, nouns, adverbs, superlatives, cultural diversity, friendship, cooperation, caring, love and respect, even how a bill passed in our government...just to name a few. Big movies stars like Bill Cosby and many others would be guest on these shows during that time. Unlike these childrens' show today which focuses on magic, dancing and an occasional educational moment, the Old School Sesame Street was ALL about educating children NOT entertaining them.

If you parents are really concern about educating your children, then the Sesame Street Classics are the ones you need to help you along. Watch them while you can because they may soon be obsolete/removed.
The old ones are SO much better than what passes for Sesame Street today.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:27 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,303,897 times
So glad I stumbled onto this thread - I remember one little skit from Sesame Street about a family of little creatures (bugs?) that want to go to the zoo, so in the end they all decide to 'take the car' to the zoo, and they literally pick up the little car and carry it to the zoo. Want to show my little one, I will check the oldies on Netflix!

Old 06-01-2013, 05:40 AM

4,739 posts, read 4,417,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post

Studies suggest that almost all of these shows (except the ones with fighting/vile characters such as power rangers and sponge bob) teach a lot to kids. The idea that TV is a brain drain has been discredited for some time.

I personally appreciate Dino Train for instance (great stuff) . . .

Old 06-01-2013, 07:46 AM

2,729 posts, read 6,095,548 times
I hate the new Sesame Street. My son watches it a little, but even he can't sit through an episode. I'll have to check out some old ones for him. There are some great shows on PBS and now that he's a little bit older I do find them educational. We still watch for entertainment purposes or when we all need a breat, but it's a nice perk that he's learning something too.

Curious George is great in every way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting