Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:15 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL. This thread reminds me of the TV commercial for the Gerber College Plan.

Gerber Life College Plan - YouTube
My mom has been going on about the gerber thing. I need to check it out. The return seems to be pretty small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
DW and I both work and our combined income is pretty high. College tuition in my state is high, but not astronomical. So, the answer for us is just that we scrape up the money when it is due. Our son lives at home, so our expenses are simply for books and tuition.

There is a tax credit available for people who do not have an income above a certain level that is just excellent. I emphasize this is a credit and not a deduction. So, it literally becomes a choice of whether you pay the IRS or pay your son's college tuition. That ought to be a no-brainer for anyone who can afford it.

Even so, it scares me to death. College tuition continues to increase at a rate 2 or 3 times the rate of inflation and colleges keep making excuses for it. States continue to take money away from higher education and spend it on things like Medicaid for the poor which are necessary, but contribute far less to society in terms of growth and economic development.

Graduate school tuition is higher, but if we have too, we'll find a way to pay for that as well.
Do you know what the tax credit is called? It scares me, too. That why the prepaid sounds good to me right now. As far as grad school goes, I hope my daughter decides on the sciences or to do it while employed and have her co pay. Who knows how things will be that far in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
We have a upromise card & account. (Upromise Welcome, Money for college through Shopping Online, eCoupons, Grocery, Restaurants, Upromise Credit Card, $ Finance, Auto, Home, & More)
All of our credit cards and grocery cards are linked to it, and we earn money on purchases we are making anyway.
The grandparents cards are as well.
Very cool. That's something to add to the pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 12:41 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Putting on my financial nerd hat for a second (and yes I have a degree in it). Life Insurance in any form is a terrible investment, buy insurance for insurance sake, not because you think you are going to make any money on it because you won't.

This college savings plan flunks the test - Chuck Jaffe - MarketWatch

The best way to save for college is to put a small amount every month or every paycheck into an ESA or a low fee 529. Or if you're in a position to pay off your mortgage and all other debt with years to spare before college that's fine too as long as you make enough.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Putting on my financial nerd hat for a second (and yes I have a degree in it). Life Insurance in any form is a terrible investment, buy insurance for insurance sake, not because you think you are going to make any money on it because you won't.

This college savings plan flunks the test - Chuck Jaffe - MarketWatch

The best way to save for college is to put a small amount every month or every paycheck into an ESA or a low fee 529. Or if you're in a position to pay off your mortgage and all other debt with years to spare before college that's fine too as long as you make enough.
Thank you for putting your financial nerd hat on. Makes total sense and I'll share that with my mom about gerber. Great ideas here as well!

Old 06-03-2013, 10:15 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
I throw $600 a month into a 529 account. I hope to have about 60K saved by the time she graduates college and her dad will match it. Her aspiration is a small private liberal arts education so that is what we are saving for.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I throw $600 a month into a 529 account. I hope to have about 60K saved by the time she graduates college and her dad will match it. Her aspiration is a small private liberal arts education so that is what we are saving for.
For how many years is that? Do you manage the 529 or do you have a financial mgr do it?

Old 06-04-2013, 03:32 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,117 times
The Coverdell ESAs are available with many brokerage firms - my children's are at ETrade. The limit is $2000 per child per year - my ex and I have both set up accounts for the children, and together we can only spend $2k per child. There is also an income limit for the parents. I like the ESAs because if something happens and the child does not go to college or doesn't need all the money in the account, it can be transferred for the educational expenses of any family member of that child.

My children are young, and my company offers the tax-free dependent care spending account. I put in the max $5000 a year (less than half of annual day care expenses), it's taken out of my paycheck automatically, and at the end of the year I use the money as their contribution for the next year.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:48 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,043 times
The college model will be obsolete in 10-15 years. The jobs that will be available in that time do not exist now. The jobs that exist will no longer exist. Change happens. Good idea to save, but dont earmark for "college" ahead of time.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
The college model will be obsolete in 10-15 years. The jobs that will be available in that time do not exist now. The jobs that exist will no longer exist. Change happens. Good idea to save, but dont earmark for "college" ahead of time.
What do you think will be in its place?

Old 06-04-2013, 05:51 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Hello parents,

I've heard of 529's (two types I believe). Do you use them? If so, how did you set it up and how is it going? I only have a savings account going right now for my daughter with very little in it and an abysmal interest rate. I plan to put in $35/wk. I'd love to hear/read about other ways you're prepping for the future for schooling.

Thanks!

~B
529 plan - find an advisor you trust (or your bank) and set it up.
Put money in it every month and have birthday/xmas money go in there.
We have asked grandparents to donate to that in lieu of gifts, as he has way too much crap already and he is only 18 months old.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:06 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Thanks, D. I'll check it out. Can I get this through any bank, you think? Maybe I could close that savings account an open one of these instead.
To be honest, Braun, I had no idea of its existence before I started my current job at my credit union. I came to that job from a big bank who did not offer a Coverdell. I'd search banks in your area to see who offers it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting