Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 PM

793 posts, read 275,839 times

Advertisements

Am enjoying reading all the posts on this subject!
As for my response,I purchased many sets of wheels for my girls;all the way from their very first little riding toy,to their first tricycle,then the little two-wheeler bike with the training wheels,and as they grew the bigger the bikes became. They also had their little roller skates,roller blades and skateboards. However,when they turned 12 and received their 10 speed bikes they already knew that from there on any future wheels was up to them to purchase. By saving their allowance,babysitting money,birthday & X-mas money and then their wages from working they purchased their very first vehicle all on their own. They kept the repairs up,filled up the gas tank and kept insurance current. None of the girls ever had an accident or got a ticket for speeding etc. Were they new vehicles? Absolutely not,but they got them from point A to point B and back home! In comparing what the girls drive today,to what they purchased back then;the oldest girl is now in her mid 30's and the other girls are in their mid-late 20's and they giggle when they say..."We bought our own very first piece of junk!" And may I add...to this day they tell people that with pride!!! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW666 View Post
Do most parents on here think they should purchase their teenagers first vehicle?
I was obligated to purchase all of my kids (3) their transportation from tricycles to bicycles, and obligated to drive them where they needed to be, and many times where they wanted to be. The obligation stopped at 18, when they are supposed to become self-sufficient.

I'm not even sure it's advisable to allow a kid to get their license at 16 these days. This was the scene in front of my home just a few days ago.

There's some crazy a$$ drivers on the streets here in Los Angeles. Some of the people involved said the guy headed into oncoming traffic for no apparent reason. Took out 5-6 cars in the process.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
My first car arrived on a tow truck... bought it right. The owner bought a new engine and never put it in or back together. Didn't have a license because I was too young...

Saved money from working since a child and had been paying into Social Security since age 12

Learned a lot working on it and still have it today... as well as cars #2 and #3

Old 06-05-2013, 10:09 PM

793 posts, read 275,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I was obligated to purchase all of my kids (3) their transportation from tricycles to bicycles, and obligated to drive them where they needed to be, and many times where they wanted to be. The obligation stopped at 18, when they are supposed to become self-sufficient.

I'm not even sure it's advisable to allow a kid to get their license at 16 these days. This was the scene in front of my home just a few days ago.

There's some crazy a$$ drivers on the streets here in Los Angeles. Some of the people involved said the guy headed into oncoming traffic for no apparent reason. Took out 5-6 cars in the process.
Even though my girls are grown and have children of their own I still worry about them on the roads,always will. In my small town in Northwest Ohio I watch as our local law enforcement sit at a red light and chat from their cruisers with drivers who are texting or talking on their cell phones,not wearing seat belts,and have little ones who are not in car seats. I ask myself..."Self what in the hell is wrong with this picture and what does the word ENFORCEMENT actually mean?"

Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,534 times
I may have a different opinion than many, but I feel that if parents can afford to pay for some or all of a car for their child, and the child is a decently well-behaved member of society, they should. I don't think denying a child the freedom and convenience of having their own transportation is teaching them any kind of constructive lesson, especially if they are well-behaved and hard-working. Obviously, if purchasing another car is too much of a financial burden or a child is not responsible enough to own one, I understand the hesitance to make the purchase.

I just got my first car ever at the age of 22, and let me tell you, life would have been a lot easier for me with some form of transportation. In high school, I was a straight-A student with a job and extracurriculars to participate in. My parents were comfortably wealthy, but they refused to help me buy a car or even allow me to buy one on my own on the principle that "I didn't REALLY need one, and I needed to save for college". Instead, I could walk/bike/bum-a-ride. So I did, but I didn't take any big life lessons from it, I just spent much more time figuring out how to get around and missed out on things because I lacked transportation.

I think when I have children I will be helping them out with their first car as long as they are responsible and willing to take on part of the costs. I want them to know that working hard and being responsible will get you places in life.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:27 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
I would make sure I timed things correctly so I could pass down an 8-10 year old car that I had previously drove.

I would wait until circumstances dictated it tho. If they don't have to commute somewhere on a regular basis, I wouldn't give them a car. A job, college, etc that they need to commute to would be necessary.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:30 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,693 times
I consider myself a car enthusiast/collector. When my daughter is old enough to drive, there will definitely be a car she can use whenever she needs transportation. So, not necessarily "buy" her a specific vehicle, but right now I have 2 drivers (myself and wife) in the household, and way more than 2 vehicles.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:30 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW666 View Post
Do most parents on here think they should purchase their teenagers first vehicle?
Hcek no. I owe my kids an education but not a set of wheels. That they can buy on their own.

We do have a car that dd can use but it's not hers and will be shared with her sister when she starts driving next year. If she wants her own car, she'll have to buy her own car.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:44 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
My dad paid for half of my first car, but I had to save up and pay for the other half. My parents covered insurance but I had to cover gas and any other repairs and expenses. I think this was a reasonable way to handle it.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:37 AM

919 posts, read 1,690,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
You are not obligated to buy your child their first vehicle. My dad didn't buy my first one. I had to! Tell you what, though, it made me appreciate my vehicle much, much more since it was my own. I was also on my own when it came to repairs. Buy a kid their first vehicle and see how poorly they treat it.
That is a HUGE FALSE generalization.

Me and several of my friends have cars, all of out parents bought us our cars and not a single one of my friends treats it badly. And they all work, play sports. Go to school and have other responsibilities, they all pay for gas & help with insurance.

Me personally, got my car a week before my road test. Is it new? No. But my dad paid 5500. It is an 03 Toyota rav4 and I guard it like my life. I get the oil changed I pay my own gas and my mom takes out insurance money from my bank account. Its clean and maintained. As many others have said I got a car more for convinence. I made my senior year schedule so that I go in late and leave early. I put my sister on the bus in morning which saves my mom money on a babysitter and since i leave early im able to work more hours a week so I can.save for college.

Are parents obligated? Absolutely not, if they are financially able to and believe that their. Child is responsible enough to take care of a car then let it be their choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting