Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:49 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times

Advertisements

We always have dinner together, to us it's paramount. Of course she's just a toddler and I don't work at the moment, which helps, but we promised ourselves we would do our best to always have dinner together (and all our meals at the weekend as well). We'll see how we manage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 11:10 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
I guess I'd consider myself a "super mom" because my young adult son and I get along great, he's never gotten into trouble, has always been a good student, and I didn't make him neurotic (the most important part of all ).

Old 06-06-2013, 11:19 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Oh - this is fun for a change!

I'm Supermom because I raised my boy pretty much alone, worked full-time, continued to climb the corporate ladder so we could have a nice house, cars, vacations, etc. Dinner on the table; Executive Board of the PTA at school, active in our church, and traveled year-round for competitve swimming.

Now - he's off to college where he will continue to swim. Yay me!

I also have a list about a mile long of things I wish I had done differently - but for another thread.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:22 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Supermom--yep, because I did the running around, made the dinners, wiped away the tears, cleaned up the messes, listened, taught, laughed, cried, worried and smiled and still do.

Older child is fully on her own and would be considered "successful" by most standards. (It's quite tempting to brag here, but I will refrain--she's an amazing young woman though). Younger child is well on his way-just finished his first year of college with a great GPA and he's becoming a very considerate young man. Most importantly, both of them are pretty darn good human beings.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:24 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
I'm a supermum because I managed, finally, to put aside my own personal issues with my child's father so that we no longer fight over custody and she is able to spend plenty of quality time with him and she doesn't see us argue or fight anymore.

I'm a supermum because I held my grumpy overtired toddler for hours at my dad's birthday party til it felt like my back was breaking and my arms were going to drop off but still danced with her when she suddenly decided she wasn't tired anymore.

I guess my daughter thinks I'm pretty super too as she said "I love you" to me for the first time last week

Old 06-07-2013, 05:18 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I don't always feel like a Super Mom but most of the time.
I have an amazing relationship with our 31 year old son who is far far away on a post doc. We always encouraged education and he got his Doctorate in physics despite knowing this field would not yield fame and certainly not fortune. But he chose his heart's desire over money and that I'm proud of. We skype, email and talk regularly and have a closeness I never expected at this stage of life.

Our 29 year old daughter is educated, gainfully employed, in a committed relationship, has many friends and outside interests and is happy. She even still seems to like me! What else can I expect?

Our 2 eleven year old daughters are happy and well adjusted and already meeting challenges with grace. I'm hoping the teenage years won't be too traumatic for us all.
All my kids tell me I'm a Super Mom when they open up to me and express their happiness and fears. I think my greatest asset as a Super Mom is good communication.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:56 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That is awesome!. Few people realize what a big deal that is, how rare it is and how much effort it takes to make it happen. We managed that for a while, but it petered out when my wife went back to work. She often works in the evenings I often get home late, kids are out at sporting events, work, etc. It was really healthy for the family relationship when we had sit down dinner each night at the table at 7:00 p.m. and game night every Thursday night. Now we frequently eat dinner on the run, grabbing something as we pass through the kitchen and often at 9 p.m. Usually people make their own dinner and eat it when they are hungry, so one person may eat a 5:45, another at 6:30, while two others may wait until I get home to see whether I bring something or make something a lot of the time we just order pizza, chicken wings or Chinese food. There is not only a family value to sit down dinners, there is a health value and an economic value.
We eat together most nights. Sometimes it is at 9PM but we try to eat together. Sometimes one person might be missing at dinner time but most of us eat dinner together most nights. My husband plays hockey once a week and misses dinner on those nights. I have rehearsals on Monday nights so I miss dinner on those nights but there is a family dinner every night, even if we are eating it at 9PM (which happens).

Our oldest recently came home from college for the summer. He told me that one thing he really missed when he was home was eating together at home. He said he really missed having family dinners. He is looking forward to living in the fraternity house next year and is looking forward to having dinner with his fraternity brothers rather than at the dining hall. It's funny the things they miss from home.

I must be supermom. I have three teenaged boys. They all get good grades and have achieved at a high level in non academic areas. They have good friends, haven't gotten in trouble with the law, and they enjoy spending time with their family.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:12 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
that is a great tradition. this is dinner at a frat house:

Old 06-08-2013, 04:32 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
that is a great tradition. this is dinner at a frat house:
And after dinner they go out and make their girl friends pregnant and a year later they will sit down for a traditional family dinner.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:09 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,831 times
I am a super parent.
I raised my girls with no help from their father whom I divorced when they were very young.
Both my girls were honor roll students all through school, and on the dean's list all through college.
They have become amazing women.
They show me their love and appreciation for all the sacrifices I made on Mother's Day & Father's Day every year. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting