Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 01:37 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Respectfully I disagree. Kids also need to learn not to be so judgmental. For all we know the grandmother is OK with this arrangement. It is possible to teach our children right from wrong without having a kid challenging and confronting his elders. Frankly what his grandfather does is none of his business. Now if it was his father I could see the kid asking him about it. Because his future might be impacted by this behavior. Even then what 9 year old kid understands adult behavior and marriage pitfalls.

If the grandparents marriage is on the skids everybody else will find out about it anyway.

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the question of whether the grandmother should be told about what was seen. That is a tricky situation. The woman might know and after 30-40 years of marriage just roll her eyes and never miss a beat.On the other hand she might know but now feels she needs to save face and throw the bum out cause now her whole family knows about it. Or it could come as a complete surprise and turn her whole world upside down. But still it should be her adult children who decide and no kid should be involved in the action or any discussion....unless it will impact their day to day lives and/or living situation.
I'm not saying the child should JUDGE the grandfather - I'm saying the child has a right to question his grandfather about his public relationship with his mistress. If this guy is kissing this woman on public streets, his expectation of privacy is no longer valid, and the child has a right to ask about it. "Grandpa, who was that lady? Why were you kissing her?" - a totally valid question if the kid wants to ask it.

What's wrong with a child challenging or confronting his elders, anyway? Allowing a child to learn to do so in a respectful and intelligent way is invaluable. And I think teaching children to remain silent when they are confused about a situation is not a good idea at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 01:59 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
OK I'm sure there are many people on this forum who have divorced a cheating spouse. Did you limit your kids access to that parent because that parent was going to be a bad influence? I don't think so unless there were other extenuating circumstances going on like drug abuse, criminal activity, etc. Legally I don't think this is even possible. A grandparent has even less influence over a kid.
Given all the divorced couples I know... there actually is a legal way to limit access. It's called having (full) custody, with visitation rights to be determined.

The influence of a grandparent depends on the family fabric itself, so it wouldn't be correct to say they'd not have that much influence.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:05 PM

677 posts, read 1,193,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Given all the divorced couples I know... there actually is a legal way to limit access. It's called having (full) custody, with visitation rights to be determined.

The influence of a grandparent depends on the family fabric itself, so it wouldn't be correct to say they'd not have that much influence.
If someone had prevented me from seeing my grandfather as a child, I would have been very upset about it.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:45 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

The days of granting full custody to one parent because of infidelity are long gone. Now drugs, alcohol, illegal activities, DUI's, abuse are all good reasons in the eyes of the court but rarely is full custody granted with no visitation simply cause of infidelity. We would have a heck of a lot more kids with only one parent involved in their lives if this was the case.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:45 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
The days of granting full custody to one parent because of infidelity are long gone. Now drugs, alcohol, illegal activities, DUI's, abuse are all good reasons in the eyes of the court but rarely is full custody granted with no visitation simply cause of infidelity. We would have a heck of a lot more kids with only one parent involved in their lives if this was the case.
Except that's not how their situations worked out. They filed it under "Irreconcilable differences" and the parenting plan came up with noncheating spouse having the custody with the other parent having visitation rights. A lot of the cheaters in my friends' situations were only sorry that they got caught (but not for breaking the family, that simply wasn't their fault) and eager to get back in the field.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Infidelity should never be a reason to prevent someone from seeing their children but courts are always mother biased.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
we know women cheat just as much as men. Still I am seeing more and more fathers getting custody. I think it should either be shared or given to the best parent-regardless of gender.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,189 times
Children change things. Before having children if I had cheate don my wife I would have just considered it a betrayal of my wife. Now that I have children with my wife I think it would be a betrayal to them as well if I were to cheat. It would compromise our family unit. I guess I feel the same way about cheating granddads. It's showing the childrena nd granddchildren that grandpa doesn't respect grandma.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:27 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
Grandpa has obviously been cheating for a long time. What does suddenly having knowledge of his actions change in terms of whether or not he is a "good person" to be around his grandchildren?

Old 06-12-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
It's showing the childrena nd granddchildren that grandpa doesn't respect grandma.
That doesn't mean he likes the grandkids any less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting