Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:35 AM

159 posts, read 806,376 times

Advertisements

yeah right. ppl don't care about thier kids anymore.. They care only about themselves.. they ignor them and it shows.. which makes kids act out more. i dont know why ppl have kids. HONESTLY!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 09:53 AM

162 posts, read 503,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Perhaps...but I don't quite recall being so wimpified that a swat on the bottom causes some people to howl "child abuse". Back when I was a child (and I'm only 22), disciplining a child with a slap on the hand or a swat on the bottom was called "good parenting" and "controlling your kid".
Parents do not need to hit children to teach them to have good manners, respect, and character. Parents just need to work hard at raising children. Teaching them to treat others as they want to be treated, not by giving them a smack. That will only teach them to just give someone else a smack when they are not doing as they would like them to. Real parenting takes time and energy!!!!!!!!!! Hitting kids is an easy way out with nothing long lasting or POSITIVE coming from it.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:08 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times
Lightbulb That is what I mean....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Because they are lazy and do not want to deal with it, it is to hard to be consistent and absolutely no fun at all!
I have a sis like that and now wonders why her teenager steals her car, smokes pot, is lazy, does not want to work, quit school, is disrespectful to adults, does not follow the rules, when she does get a job she goes in when she wants and wonders why she is being fired! has a smart mouth and dresses like she should be at a strip club.
My former SIL has two lazy 23 year-olds, one does drugs in the house, the other had a kid and now she takes care of it (the daughter doesnt even work)

My father would have disowned me- I would NEVER expect a parent to just take care of the grandchild- as for abuse, some kids could do with a good slap I believe. Society doesnt tolerate this- IMO its the parents fault for enabling bad behavior.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 11-05-2007 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: add

Old 11-05-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
My former SIL has two lazy 23 year-olds, one does drugs in the house, the other had a kid and now she takes care of it (the daughter doesnt even work)

My father would have disowned me- I would NEVER expect a parent to just take care of the grandchild- as for abuse, some kids could do with a good slap I believe. Society doesnt tolerate this- IMO its the parents fault for enabling bad behavior.
I doubt "a good slap" will prevent kids from following a path such as that. I think a lifestyle such as that takes a childhood of bad parenting.

I have always thought that good parenting begins the first day of life....CONSISTANT parenting - the type of parenting that is a full time job. Being AWARE of where your kids are, what they are doing and making them aware that you are looking out for them is a much better tool. I have met kids that have had very stern parents and still take the wrong path.

Life is full of hard lessons to learn and I just go try to teach my kids how important it is to be respectful and responsible. It is a heavy load, but I know how important it is.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:31 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,574 times
There are always exceptions, but I honestly don't see a problem. Maybe it's where I live- in a nice town in the South- but I'm constantly aware of how polite most kids are. Every single day I hear, "yes ma'am, no ma'am", etc. My own kids do it too. They had to be taught to do so, but I didn't mind it a bit. That's the norm here. Personally, I love it!

Old 11-05-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
There are always exceptions, but I honestly don't see a problem. Maybe it's where I live- in a nice town in the South- but I'm constantly aware of how polite most kids are. Every single day I hear, "yes ma'am, no ma'am", etc. My own kids do it too. They had to be taught to do so, but I didn't mind it a bit. That's the norm here. Personally, I love it!
I agree........I am not sure if it is location because we live in the south (SC) but my husband is from the north and both of us have high expectations for our children. We insist on good manners and polite behavior. I taught in NC and had plenty of rude children. I think it all depends on the environment they live in and the parenting skills.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:47 AM

177 posts, read 257,508 times
Default Don't agree

Such negative comments!
Children follow the actions of their parents.A polite parent,a polite child.Also time spent with their children.
You all sound so angry,I am glad I didn't live in your houses growing up,it shows your parents were aggressive,you reflect that!
I am not being impolite just stating the obvious.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:48 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4"L's" View Post
Parents do not need to hit children to teach them to have good manners, respect, and character. Parents just need to work hard at raising children. Teaching them to treat others as they want to be treated, not by giving them a smack. That will only teach them to just give someone else a smack when they are not doing as they would like them to. Real parenting takes time and energy!!!!!!!!!! Hitting kids is an easy way out with nothing long lasting or POSITIVE coming from it.
Hmm that's interesting. The set of twins I had in mind whose parents spanked them when they were young (we used to whine to each other as teenagers how much we hated our parents) have both attended ivy league schools and are respectful, respectable human beings in the working world now. They believe in spanking. I believe in spanking. I would say we never got in fights (unless warranted---I beat the crap out of a boy who made fun of my ethnicity in Kindergarten) and are faring pretty well. Not sure what you consider positive but I'd say our parents' discipline had plenty of long lasting, positive results on us. I mean if you don't want to spank your kids, more power to you. But to condemn others in their parenting methods and thinking you know the results of methods you never tried? I'd think twice. Thanks for your opinion, though

Old 11-05-2007, 11:03 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Hmm that's interesting. The set of twins I had in mind whose parents spanked them when they were young (we used to whine to each other as teenagers how much we hated our parents) have both attended ivy league schools and are respectful, respectable human beings in the working world now. They believe in spanking. I believe in spanking. I would say we never got in fights (unless warranted---I beat the crap out of a boy who made fun of my ethnicity in Kindergarten) and are faring pretty well. Not sure what you consider positive but I'd say our parents' discipline had plenty of long lasting, positive results on us. I mean if you don't want to spank your kids, more power to you. But to condemn others in their parenting methods and thinking you know the results of methods you never tried? I'd think twice. Thanks for your opinion, though

I agree with this post.

In general some American parents are too passive, and it shows. In public a child should not be allowed to throw a ranting tantrum, one sees this all the time at the mall, while the parent idiotically just puts up with it.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:04 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
Sometimes I wonder if it is just me...getting older and not having the patience I use to have. I also wonder if our government and it's involvement into our very homes regarding how we raise our children isn't a big part of this problem. Maybe because in this day and age many times both parents need to work just to survive--leaving little time for their children and when they do have some time they are to tired to care. Maybe it's all of the above. Add the drug problems of today and what we have is the perfect storm!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting