Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I hated the fact that I had to watch them constantly. And whenever we went to visit someone else, I would not have any fun because I'd just end up following the little humans around the new space pulling things out of their hands and mouths for the entire time. LOL

Then I'd try to get a little space to breathe, but they'd follow me to the bathroom or come wake me up from a nap.

Little sh*ts. I say that with love. LOL
My husband used to say that taking care of babies and toddlers does not use your entire brain, but keeps you from doing anything else, and he found that very frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:27 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Nothing frustrated me...infants are little monkeys - don't expect to much out of them...just like the partially developed teenagers-they are insane....Just love them and be patient.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I hated the fact that I had to watch them constantly. And whenever we went to visit someone else, I would not have any fun because I'd just end up following the little humans around the new space pulling things out of their hands and mouths for the entire time. LOL

Then I'd try to get a little space to breathe, but they'd follow me to the bathroom or come wake me up from a nap.

Little sh*ts. I say that with love. LOL
We were lucky I guess. Our friends mostly understood this and when we went to visit someone the other adults would take turns watching and chasing and we would get a break. However it takes a bit to learn to trust others. Funny thing is most of them were experienced parents and we weren't we should have been ore worried about our own abilities than theirs.

Wandering off was pretty frustrating. Once at Disneyland we threatened to buy those leashes to keep them in place.

When still in diapers the twins developed a love for taking off poopy diapers and smearing them all over the walls and each other. that was frustrating, especially at someone else's house. Resolved with duct tape.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It will get here. There were times, usually in the car, when we would pay my daughter a quarter if she would agree to not talk for 10 minutes.

I used to make it a competition between the two, betting one he couldn't be quiet longer than his sibling.
The other naughty thing I did was to convince the younger one (who was REALLY quite a talker, moreso than his brother even) that the "way back" of the minivan was the BEST place to sit and offered the best view of what was going on around him. Then I would tell him, while driving, that because he was in the "way back", I couldn't hear him, it was too far. Sorry!

That's awful but man, that boy could talk, and the questions!! OMG. I left him home with his father one afternoon when he was about four and when I came home, his father said: "I counted. He averages 45 questions per hour."

We always tried hard to answer their questions and talk to them though, even when they were at it non-stop and I think it paid off. They are very smart and inquisitive and have awesome vocabularies and I do long for the days when they chattered on all day about anything and everything and they were so amazed with everything around them!

Old 06-19-2013, 09:20 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post

I used to make it a competition between the two, betting one he couldn't be quiet longer than his sibling.
The other naughty thing I did was to convince the younger one (who was REALLY quite a talker, moreso than his brother even) that the "way back" of the minivan was the BEST place to sit and offered the best view of what was going on around him. Then I would tell him, while driving, that because he was in the "way back", I couldn't hear him, it was too far. Sorry!

That's awful but man, that boy could talk, and the questions!! OMG. I left him home with his father one afternoon when he was about four and when I came home, his father said: "I counted. He averages 45 questions per hour."

We always tried hard to answer their questions and talk to them though, even when they were at it non-stop and I think it paid off. They are very smart and inquisitive and have awesome vocabularies and I do long for the days when they chattered on all day about anything and everything and they were so amazed with everything around them!
Even if it was frustrating at the time, the toddler years make for wonderful memories, don't they? And I applaud your "way back" of the minivan scheme!

Old 06-19-2013, 09:27 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Kids that are early talkers are less frustrating...You can reason with them...well not really...I remember looking at a video of my youngest son and my mother. She was a stern woman and said...do not touch the wood stove...you may burn yourself...and the little boy would say "but I want too" - now he is 23 years old and he still does what he wants. All I tell him now is "be careful" - that's it.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
When I read this thread I thought back to when my twin Sons were that age to try to remember something that frustrated me, but I couldn't come up with anything. Yeah, maybe the first 6 months when we didn't get a full nights sleep, that was rough, but once they were older than that things started to ease up.

I do remember how much easier life got when we no longer had to drag a huge diaper bag along with us, loaded with bottles, diapers, and all that other stuff. It also made it easier when they started to walk so we didn't each have one to carry every place we went. But for the most part those early years were a breeze.

I remember one time when they were about a year old I took them with me on a Saturday so my wife could get some sleep. We went on a little road trip and stopped at a restaurant to have lunch. I carried both of them in, strapped in their little plastic sleeper seats (we didn't have all those fancy safety car seats 42 years ago ) and I set each one of them up in a booster chair at the table. I cut up some food for each of them and they sat there eating away and being good. About 3 waitresses came over and said "What did you do to these kids ? " They said they had never seen kids just come in and sit so quietly and behave themselves. They were pretty good that way most times.

But we did have our discipline moments and I did occasionally have to swat them on their little butts to get their attention. I know that is considered not right today, but it was how I was raised and it seemed to work for my two also...........they turned out pretty good.

Don

Old 06-22-2013, 01:32 PM

68 posts, read 133,145 times
Car journey's. Absolutely, completely and utterly ... car journey's.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:52 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
My 3rd child is giving me a run for my money at 3. To quote his pre-school teachers, "he's willful". Unfortunately I don't think this is a phase, but his personality.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:57 AM

6 posts, read 6,746 times
Potty training is SO frustrating. On occasion I ask my husband if he thinks that there are people out there who just don't potty train and just let their kid figure it out on their own. lol. For those who haven't gotten there yet, invest in tons of carpet cleaner (if you have carpet) or just rip all of that junk up.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting