Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:57 PM

466 posts, read 812,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
She refuses to potty train right now... so yeah thats a hair puller..
I also have a 3.5-year-old. After some success last summer, he totally regressed in the fall and he FINALLY pee-trained again a couple of months ago. No. 2 has been a battle. Pullups, underwears, pantless - whatever. He refuses to go in the potty. None of the tricks of stickers, cars, candy, etc. have worked. I just don't know where to do anymore. So I'm just waiting it out. He'll get eventually. Right? RIGHT? LOL

Other than that, I have one who completely melts down and gets angry when he doesn't get his way. One day a couple of months ago, he went on a tear and literally had to sit in a corner and let tears well up because if I had gone to get him, I though I might actually hurt him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 01:19 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,368,681 times
Potty training has been frustrating. I have tried twice now, and my toddler is just.not.interested.

The lack of sleep thing, just sucks big time. I have a 2 1/2 year old and 7 month old twins and I am running on fumes most days.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:07 PM

75 posts, read 77,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I also loved the twos when it was constantly "I DO IT MYSELF!". How I wish I had a recording of each of my 4 kids in that stage. all you can do is sit back and watch them try and even conquer.
Isn't it funny how they go from that stage to "Will you do it for me, Mom?" by school age!

Old 06-12-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
I also have a 3.5-year-old. After some success last summer, he totally regressed in the fall and he FINALLY pee-trained again a couple of months ago. No. 2 has been a battle. Pullups, underwears, pantless - whatever. He refuses to go in the potty. None of the tricks of stickers, cars, candy, etc. have worked. I just don't know where to do anymore. So I'm just waiting it out. He'll get eventually. Right? RIGHT? LOL
My oldest was similar. He's on the autism spectrum, so I had anticipated it taking a lot longer and didn't go out of my way to push him. Just a few days before he turned 4, we were at a friends house and he saw that his buddy wore underwear, so that day he demanded to wear underwear, too. I explained that he has to keep them dry, and he was already changing his own diapers at that point, so it was just a matter of showing him once or twice what to do. That was the extent of his potty "training" and he got from that day on.

My daughter on the other hand... I started introducing her to the potty at around 2.75 and she was very receptive... but it was well over a year before she actually stayed dry all day.

My youngest is 2.5 now, and I've learned my lesson: it's way more work to deal with a semi-potty trained toddler than a toddler in diapers, so I'm letting him take the lead.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
All in all I thought that terribly infancy phase would never end, just horrid I can't even see why anyone would want to experience that more than once! Its getting better now , much more fun!
In all honesty, it really does depend on the baby's temperament. My older two were ridiculously easy babies; neither cried much or had feeding or sleeping problems, so I didn't understand why people thought newborns were such hard work. My third baby came along and he has given me a run for my money! He had "silent" reflux and screamed every waking moment until he was a good 8 months old. He refused bottles and pacifiers, and had such a strong gag reflex that he would puke if he cried, and couldn't hold down solids until he was 20 months old. He's 2.5 now and still wakes a few times in the night, and will not give up breastfeeding without a fight. I finally went back to work just to get a break from him, LOL.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:29 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,482,638 times
The hardest part of parenting for us was not getting enough sleep. Kid #2 didn't sleep through the night for the first 18 months.

Once your kids get older it is really all about accepting the fact that your house is always going to be a little messier than you want it to be.

Both of our kids are going to be in school next year and we are dreading having to do homework and get them to their activities. This is going to be a lot harder time wise than having an infant in a bouncy seat. The thing that parents of infants don't realize is that when you have an infant you can do other things (dishes, the wash, etc.). This is not the case when you are sitting at a soccer field, hockey rink, etc.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:53 PM

793 posts, read 275,078 times
Loved reading all the posts!!!! As for my own 5 children who are now between the ages of 44 to 23 with children of their own; I would have to say that the most frustrating for me was trying to figure out what they were saying!!! My one Daughter around the age of 1.5 would go to the refrigerator and say the word "Nu Nu"...I had no idea what she wanted. For weeks I would show her items in the fridge and the cupboards and she would shake her head and say "Nu Nu"...at times actually getting angry with me because I obviously wasn't getting the message. Finally one afternoon at the grocery store as we were going down the fruit and vegetable aisle she loudly yelled "Nu Nu!!!" and pointed,it was like a miracle!!!! She was pointing at APPLES!!!! How she ever came up with calling them "Nu Nus" will always remain a mystery to me.

Then there was my first Granddaughter at the age of one who started making this strange noise every time we had burgers and fries. It resembled the noise that a guy makes when smoking a non filter cigarette and spits the tobacco off his tongue. Seemed like it took us forever to figure out that what she was doing was mocking the sound of ketchup when it comes out of the red plastic container that you use at picnics...lordy mercy!!!

You gotta love their little imaginations

Old 06-12-2013, 09:26 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
The hardest part of parenting for us was not getting enough sleep. Kid #2 didn't sleep through the night for the first 18 months.

Once your kids get older it is really all about accepting the fact that your house is always going to be a little messier than you want it to be.

Both of our kids are going to be in school next year and we are dreading having to do homework and get them to their activities. This is going to be a lot harder time wise than having an infant in a bouncy seat. The thing that parents of infants don't realize is that when you have an infant you can do other things (dishes, the wash, etc.). This is not the case when you are sitting at a soccer field, hockey rink, etc.
You got that right! And it only gets harder as time goes on. By the time they're 16, you're more than happy for them to get a driver's license.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:31 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,210,256 times
1-3 has definitely been THE hardest so far, he's 3,5 now and it's gotten way way easier, though of course there are still issues. But from about 18 months to 2,8 was the absolute worst! The worst was the stubbornness, oh the stubbornness, the attitude, and his perfectionist, persistent personality bordering on OCD, coupled with still not being able to express himself and being so intense in everything. He had the typical two-year old tantrums - except when I read somewhere that tantrums typically last around 5 minutes, I was shocked, because if he got going, he could wail for up to two hours. Nothing could distract him, redirection never worked. Once he became a lot more verbal, I started to understand why he cried so much - he would ask for everything to be exactly a certain way, he would spend 15 minutes lining up a toy car so it stands just right, I guess when he had all those things but couldn't express them, he'd just cry. Now he understands so much more, so it's so much easier to negotiate with him, and he understands rational explanations, most of the time. Every once in a while he'll still go into that frustrating 'baby mode' when he just melts down over something completely minor, especially when tired, hungry, etc., and will just refuse to listen to anything. But now at least he's capable of calming himself down after a while, and will go up afterwards and apologize for misbehaving But yea, the twos were just horrifying. NOT looking forward to going through that again.

Oh, and the other super hard part was the 1-2, when they start walking, and you need to constantly watch them, especially outside, because the second you look away they're sticking a cigarette butt in their mouth or hitting their nose on the curb. Climbing up after him and make sure he doesn't fall off playground equipment because he still doesn't get the concept gave me a few grey hairs, seeing as I was never much of a climber myself

Old 06-12-2013, 09:35 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,210,256 times
I'm actually looking forward to doing the after-school activities etc., because at least there they have the coaches riding their butts, not you You just sit in the bleachers and chill :P Not looking forward to homework though.
What really scares me about the future though is the teenage years and driving, being out at night and not knowing what they're up to, especially with boys and the stupid behaviour they're prone to. I'm already terrified of it even now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting