U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 09:09 PM

145 posts, read 498,750 times

Advertisements

My friend is beyond frustrated. Her daughter is 9 and continues to wet her pants during the day. Nighttime bed wetting had stopped approximately 2 years ago with very rare 'accidents'. What should she do? I've asked if she's been to the doctor but she hasn't yet taken her child for this. The girl is happy, popular and doing well in school. My friend is concerned that this problem could become known by her daughters' peers and negatively label her. Is this common? The little girl claims that her body gives her little warning and by the time she realizes the need to go she's close to an accident. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 09:21 PM

631 posts, read 2,317,547 times
It could be just as she says. Take her to the doctor to have her checked out.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:25 PM

10,751 posts, read 33,612,437 times
I had always heard that bed wetting is a sign of insecurity in a child.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:03 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,389,044 times
Aside from emotional trauma, which your friend doesn't sound like she suspects, UTI, overactive bladder, slower development, anxiety, stuctural problem in the urinary tract, muscle problems...so the doctor is indeed in order.

Start with her pediatrician. If UTI is ruled out then ask for them to do a scan (usually by sonogram) of her Urinary track and kidneys...then have them refer to a urologist if the cause is not easy to find.

Oh and until she figures it out, get the kid some protective undergarments...goodnights come in sizes that will fit a 9 year old. But at least she won't have to be embarassed if an accident does happen.

Good luck.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:12 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,327,133 times
it is not common at that age. she should see a dr and drink less water and make herself go to the restroom every couple of hours.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:32 PM

12,644 posts, read 19,319,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebOver View Post
My friend is beyond frustrated. Her daughter is 9 and continues to wet her pants during the day. Nighttime bed wetting had stopped approximately 2 years ago with very rare 'accidents'. What should she do? I've asked if she's been to the doctor but she hasn't yet taken her child for this. The girl is happy, popular and doing well in school. My friend is concerned that this problem could become known by her daughters' peers and negatively label her. Is this common? The little girl claims that her body gives her little warning and by the time she realizes the need to go she's close to an accident. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
Why in the world has she not seen a DR. yet?

Old 11-10-2007, 05:25 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,411,078 times
I know of a child who had accidents until she was 12. It was an issue with her urinary tract and is being treated with medicine.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:27 AM

2,467 posts, read 11,732,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebOver View Post

She should make an immediate appointment for her daughter this week! I understand that your friend is frustrated, but she needs to realize that a happy, popular 9 year old is likely very, very embarassed by this and is not doing it on purpous! (by the way, nightmare bed wetting is more of a sign of emotional trauma than daytime, but is still a possiblity). Other advice (while she is waiting for an appt since this is absolutely necessary ASAP!) is to have her monitor her intake of fluids (i.e., make sure she doesn't drink a TON in one sitting) and she can keep a chart for a bit as to what time/how much she drinks and when she has to go or has an accident. This can help to train her to realize that, for instance, 30 minutes after lunch she needs to go to the bathroom and try to go to avoid an accident. Good luck, but get that girl to a doctor ASAP!!!!!

Old 11-10-2007, 10:12 AM

144 posts, read 792,325 times
The child is 9 years old and still wetting herself? That is not normal and she should've been taken to the doctor years ago. I feel sorry for this poor child.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:42 PM

42 posts, read 435,741 times
My Pediatrician says it's normal for bed wetting even up to age 18. Day time may be another issue. I know there are meds for night time probably used for day time as well. On the weekends it would be a good idea to remind her to use the restroom every hour just to get in a habit. My child has the same problem of not having to go for a long time then having to run to the restroom. I'm always reminding to stop playing and go to the restroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting