U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 05:46 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,782,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
my3arabs:

Tatoos are fine, but some of this generation of kids really get carried away with the tatoos and body piercings. My wife and I have seen the big tatoos that some women in the 20's have gotten on their lower back........just doesn't look right (again our opinion). This "tatoo thing" has really kind of gotten out of hand with guys getting tatoos on their necks and both the young men and women getting tatoos every else.
I remember the days when it was just men in the military that had tatoos.
There are some big company's that will tell prospective outside sales applicants......."no tatoos if you want to work here and have a nice income".
Could you just imagine seeing a young top executive showing up at a Board Meeting (during the summer) in a short sleeve shirt/tie on and tatoos on both arms.......don't think so.

Again, I disagree....it's discrimination. People are supposed to be EOE. If we can hire illegal immigrants (and now so I've heard, potentially pay them social security) then we can hire people who have tattoos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2006, 05:51 PM

892 posts, read 2,171,759 times
Well written. I agree with you 100 percent.
I had the sides and back of my hair shaved thru highschool. 5 earrings in one ear, 3 in the other. None of my friends looked like me but they still liked me. My husband of course hated it when he met me, but oh well. I still turned out alright.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:51 PM

Quote:
My wife has allergies/athsma and absolutely can not handle smoking around her. I use to chew and stopped that cause I got tired of it.
Now, for this topic: A lot of kids nowdays want a lot of stuff and, depending on the parents, get everything they want. Plainly speaking, they are very SPOILED. They see the Simpson's, Roseanne, Married with Children on TV and think they can talk to their parents that way. Boy, if real families were like those families, our society would be in BIG trouble. Problem is, some families are like those shows.
Now that I agree with (I didn't want you to think I was personally attacking you by disagreeing with your last two posts ). It irks me the way some kids talk to their parents or how they treat them. My kids try to mouth off when they think they can, and they're very quickly corrected. I feel that we all should speak kindly to each other, one, it shows the love and respect and two, the little ones not only look up to us but also to their older siblings and they will repeat what they hear. I can't stand some of those shows they have on tv.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:52 AM

169 posts, read 616,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
What I want to know is who's to say what is considered "normal" as opposed to "abnormal" or "weird"?
Very well said pixie!

Last edited by Marka; 10-20-2006 at 06:12 AM..

Old 10-20-2006, 09:04 AM

7,046 posts, read 15,987,444 times
Discrimination or not, some people will treat people the way they look, bottom line.
What about the kids that work at Disneyland.........when I lived in Anaheim and visited that Park, I didn't see any kids with tattoos/body piercings. They just don't work there.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Discrimination or not, some people will treat people the way they look, bottom line.
What about the kids that work at Disneyland.........when I lived in Anaheim and visited that Park, I didn't see any kids with tattoos/body piercings. They just don't work there.
You're right, people will treat people differently because of the way they look and it's a shame. I think if we stop doing that, then maybe this country would know how to stand together. Like I said before, although it's a subject in and of itself, we don't discriminate on people who come here illegally or people who can't even speak English, but we'll discriminate against an intelligent 18 year old kid who's going to college for Graphic Art because he's got piercings and tattoos. Or a girl because she wears black lipstick instead of pink or red. That's silly, petty and disturbing that people act like that. And actually, I've seen kids and adults at Disney in Florida that did have tattoos and such...I mean not for nothing, if a child is going to look at an adult dressed in a mouse costume, I'm quite sure they can look at adult that has extra earrings or "paintings" on their arms.
I don't think employers should have the right to tell anyone to cover anything up (otherwise, they should then make arabs "uncover" themselves)....It's all discrimination.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:58 PM

169 posts, read 616,181 times
Wow, I meant to quote your entire post .. somehow that got lost.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:10 PM

7,046 posts, read 15,987,444 times
Pixieshmoo
In a way, I hate to admit it, but YOU ARE RIGHT!!!!!!!! Boy, I love it when people "set me straight".

Old 10-20-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Pixieshmoo
In a way, I hate to admit it, but YOU ARE RIGHT!!!!!!!! Boy, I love it when people "set me straight".

Well, thank you...what I said wasn't to make me sound right though. But I do appreciate the compliment. I get very heated over this stuff because I was a teenager once who dressed like that and I know that I'm intelligent, yet I'm sure people didn't think that of me because of how I looked. I want my children (and all children of our future) to be able to express themselves however they'd like yet have people respect them for their thoughts and beliefs and for what's in their hearts. And as for practically jumping down your throat, well, it bothers me about what you said because it's true (the truth hurts) people do discriminate. Someone such as yourself (and myself) has every right to speak out about what they think regarding any issue, yet what makes me mad is that people like you and I are speaking right now about these things, and other people out there are afraid to open their mouths about things even more important than looks (you know what I mean?).......

Old 10-29-2006, 03:43 AM

2 posts, read 7,800 times
my 15 year old doesn't have a girlfriend, so I guess I don't need to worry about the low cut top and stuff... And I don't even want to think about that happening.. I am having a hard enough time trying to get him to pass his classes... I would NEVER bring home the kinds of grades that he does. I would have been afraid that I would get the belt. Now days the kids just dont' care about anything but having fun that day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or