Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 07:47 PM

892 posts, read 2,371,859 times

Advertisements

I used to smoke also. The only reason I did was because my friends were. Each of us would take turns stealing smokes from a parent.
My step-Dad also smoked so I was around it sort of, he smoked outside. I don't care about tattoos either. don't have em but I nothing against them. Like I have said before, it's in the inside that counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 07:55 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,128 times
A friend of mine works at a day care. The kids ask for there mom's all day long. My friend said it is really sad. I think you can stay home with your kids. But you need to plan for that before you start your familys. Live within your means. Once you have kids they are your full time job. I worked full time with first and missed out on so much. So I decided to stay home with my second.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:23 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Like I have said before, it's in the inside that counts.
lookingfortherightplace: I don't agree with your statement above at all, but that "is" my opinon and my wife's.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:36 PM

241 posts, read 998,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Anyone ever had to teach your child to be bad?

Acording to my son's school I have taught him to be bad by telling him to stick up for himself when I am not there. The school told my son that if he stuck up for himself against the lil creap that was beating on him then he, my son, would get a spanking, a pink slip and get kicked out of school. My son is only 7, and these idiot adults won't defend him against an older child. So I pulled him out of school two weeks ago and told them off for the last time.

Children learn to be bad by their environment, and their genes. My kids are very respectful of others but when they get home they are different kids. I am their mom and their friend and I have taught them to tell me what they are thinking no matter what it is. They will talk with me about anything and every thing that you can imagine and not feel embarassed about it. I have never ever spanked my kids cuz my last "spanking" I was 15 yrs old and went to high school with a perfect buckle bruise on my thigh. I will take away a privilege, the tv not go fishing etc and that has always worked with them.

I have taught them to try to take everything in stride no matter how much it may hurt. It is nice to see my kids tell someone that calls them a name, "you got that right and I am proud of it". The person or ppl with just stand there and look stupid while my kids smile and walk away. We will then talk about what happen and say what we would really have liked to have done. I don't want them to hold in their feelings cuz it gets them no where fast.

Yes they drive me nuts at times but that is what kids are for cuz we did the same thing to our parents too!

LoveBoating....
lookingfortherightplace: I don't agree with your statement above at all, but that "is" my opinon and my wife's

Does this mean that you think I am a bad person? I don't drink, or smoke but I have a rose tattoo on my right shoulder got it from my friend's uncle at home in '91, and I was dead sober when he did it. He owed a tattoo shop in Hollywood and was one of the best guys I have ever met.

Last edited by my3arabs; 10-12-2006 at 09:52 PM..

Old 10-12-2006, 09:52 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3arabs View Post
Acording to my son's school I have taught him to be bad by telling him to stick up for himself when I am not there. The school told my son that if he stuck up for himself against the lil creap that was beating on him then he, my son, would get a spanking, a pink slip and get kicked out of school. My son is only 7, and these idiot adults won't defend him against an older child. So I pulled him out of school two weeks ago and told them off for the last time.

Children learn to be bad by their environment, and their genes. My kids are very respectful of others but when they get home they are different kids. I am their mom and their friend and I have taught them to tell me what they are thinking no matter what it is. They will talk with me about anything and every thing that you can imagine and not feel embarassed about it. I have never ever spanked my kids cuz my last "spanking" I was 15 yrs old and went to high school with a perfect buckle bruise on my thigh. I will take away a privilege, the tv not go fishing etc and that has always worked with them.

I have taught them to try to take everything in stride no matter how much it may hurt. It is nice to see my kids tell someone that calls them a name, "you got that right and I am proud of it". The person or ppl with just stand there and look stupid while my kids smile and walk away. We will then talk about what happen and say what we would really have liked to have done. I don't want them to hold in their feelings cuz it gets them no where fast.

Yes they drive me nuts at times but that is what kids are for cuz we did the same thing to our parents too!
I guess what I was trying to say is a child doesn't have to be taught was is wrong it's something we're born with, but a child needs to guided and taught with is right and how to treat people. I hope this make sense.
well anyway I do know children need to feel LOVED and WANTED.
And I don't think teaching your son to defend himself is teaching him bad things.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:19 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3arabs View Post

LoveBoating....
lookingfortherightplace: I don't agree with your statement above at all, but that "is" my opinon and my wife's

Does this mean that you think I am a bad person? I don't drink, or smoke but I have a rose tattoo on my right shoulder got it from my friend's uncle at home in '91, and I was dead sober when he did it. He owed a tattoo shop in Hollywood and was one of the best guys I have ever met.

I know what you mean, I think schools have it wrong with the dont defend yourself motto. I know from personal experience that if a child does not stick up for himself with a bully, it will only make matters worse. Mine did defend himself and got suspended for two days. I went in there and calmly said, that my son has the right to protect himself and I am going to support him. We didnt have school shootings and such in my school years, we defended ourselves and the bullies backed off. I think punishing a child for defending himself teaches them the wrong thing. BTW they didnt punish the bully only my son, the teacher didnt see the bully hit him, but other kids did.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:12 AM

my3arabs:

Tatoos are fine, but some of this generation of kids really get carried away with the tatoos and body piercings. My wife and I have seen the big tatoos that some women in the 20's have gotten on their lower back........just doesn't look right (again our opinion). This "tatoo thing" has really kind of gotten out of hand with guys getting tatoos on their necks and both the young men and women getting tatoos every else.
I remember the days when it was just men in the military that had tatoos.
There are some big company's that will tell prospective outside sales applicants......."no tatoos if you want to work here and have a nice income".
Could you just imagine seeing a young top executive showing up at a Board Meeting (during the summer) in a short sleeve shirt/tie on and tatoos on both arms.......don't think so.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:19 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,860 times
We are curently debating the tatoo idea with my 17 y.o. son. We MIGHT consider it, if it is something we approve of, and is in an inconspicuous area. Myself, I believe after the pain of the first one, he may reconsider a second. It would have to be tasteful, and in a place that is hideable. I do not feel that he is ready to make a decision on something that will be on his body for the rest of his life. My niece had gotten a tatoo on her lower back at 15, got pregnant and now it looks like a blob of ink.
Tatoos take a lot of consideration. I have seen some beautiful portrait tatoos that I would consider. But still don't have the desire.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:20 AM

241 posts, read 998,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
my3arabs:

Tatoos are fine, but some of this generation of kids really get carried away with the tatoos and body piercings. My wife and I have seen the big tatoos that some women in the 20's have gotten on their lower back........just doesn't look right (again our opinion). This "tatoo thing" has really kind of gotten out of hand with guys getting tatoos on their necks and both the young men and women getting tatoos every else.

I agree with them getting out of hand. I don't think that women should get them on their arms. Just think as we women age no matter how much we work out we eventually get that flap of skin hanging off of our arms, how is the tattoo going to look then? There are some tattoos that are just beautiful and I wonder why the person who did them is selling paintings.

The piercings in the eyebrows I don't like. More than three holes on their ears I don't like. I don't mind guys with earings, some look good some look amusing. A nose ring is no big deal either.

I can't do the earings cuz I am allergic to all of the metals that they use. I did get my ears pierced three times after I moved out from home at 18 and had constant problems with them. Piercings and tattoos were the devils work according to my parents so I had to do them both

Old 10-13-2006, 01:27 PM

I talked about this in another Reply in this topic: I have never seen a boy or girl in 4-H or FFA showing livestock or at a Horseshow with tatoos on their arms, nose ring, guys with ear rings.........and I have been a Ring Stuart (Judges Helper) at a few County Fairs. Look at the world of Professional Rodeo......no tatoos or body piercing there. I should know, I was a Team Roper for a number of years. I only knew one guy that had the tatoos/piercings.....pro steer wrestler and announcers would always say something about the way he looked.
Could you imagine seeing a father or his son working a field on a tractor with ear rings in???? How about a Ranch Forman or Ranch Hand looking the same way........I don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting