Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:23 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,536,443 times

Advertisements

My daughter has played violin in our school district for seven years. I like the community of orchestra and the opportunities. They've taken trips to Germany, New York City, and Scotland this Spring.

Both instruments ensure better math and science grades.

I would look into the strings program in your school district. Why not violin in school and piano privately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 06:46 AM

987 posts, read 3,818,370 times
Instrument choice doesn't matter as much as method. Suzuki method, for example, doesn't teach the child how to read music.

If you've decided on the method, then I'd pick piano, as it's a whole orchestra in itself, and you don't have to tune the darn thing everytime.

I only recommend violin if you can tune a violin yourself. Otherwise life can be excrutiatingly painful.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:36 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
I would start with the violin. It will develop the ear better. If the child doesn't have a good "ear", taking music lessons won't help. Drums would work better.

Now, my personal history shows what a mistake starting with the piano can be. I started at the age of 7. My hands were small even then. Even as an adult, I can barely reach an octive. All the time, money and energy were wasted. I would never be able to play well. My hands were too small.

Also, my "ear" is not the greatest. I can hear one note melody well, but the harmonics of chords (which you need for piano) is not as good as could be. Therefore, I can play something and tell that it's not correct, but I can't tell what note is incorrect.

I think that I could have played a violin better than I can play piano. I would have LOVED to had played a bass.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:48 AM

464 posts, read 752,971 times
I have two kids that play piano, not only is it the instrument but also the teacher. Our first teacher played favorites with my son who is 3 1/2 yrs. older then my daughter everything comes easy to him. My daughter struggled for awhile, lots of tears the teacher expected her to be as good as her older brother. Long story short found a new teacher and I just can't believe how much better she is doing and now loves to practice.

Good Luck - I love to hear my kids play anytime of day.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:06 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I would start with the violin. It will develop the ear better. If the child doesn't have a good "ear", taking music lessons won't help. Drums would work better.

Now, my personal history shows what a mistake starting with the piano can be. I started at the age of 7. My hands were small even then. Even as an adult, I can barely reach an octive. All the time, money and energy were wasted. I would never be able to play well. My hands were too small.

Also, my "ear" is not the greatest. I can hear one note melody well, but the harmonics of chords (which you need for piano) is not as good as could be. Therefore, I can play something and tell that it's not correct, but I can't tell what note is incorrect.

I think that I could have played a violin better than I can play piano. I would have LOVED to had played a bass.
Just to set your mind at ease, if you have small hands playing the violin wouldn't be easier then playing the piano, especially if your pinky is short. You would not have done very well playing the bass with small hands either.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:16 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Piano, cause then they can get a keyboard and put that in their room and attach headphones to it (no noise). And also enables them to make all kinds of neat music with those programmable keyboards with different sounds.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:28 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
As a kid, I played the violin and the piano. Let's see .... piano for 2 years (3rd and 4th grade I think) and the violin all through middle school and high school.

There were several of my friends that played both a string instrument and the piano. It's great b'c when we went to UIL (music compeititons) and needed piano accompaniment, it was neat to practice with your classmates.

I am partial to the violin because I think it's a beautiful instrument but the piano, IMO, is harder because it's almost like learning/playing two instruments - your right hand and left hand. Integrating the two takes a lot of concentration!

If you can afford it, why not let the kid learn both and they can decide later for themselves? Also, you can start them on piano lessons and then when they get to school, if the school has an orchestra program, they can join the orchestra and learn the violin then w/o the cost of a private tutor (or lower cost if there's a school discount).

I think it's great that you want your kids to play an instrument. It really teaches kids discipline and self-worth, IMO. I know I had a great time learning it (even though I hated going ot lessons!).

Old 11-07-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Just to set your mind at ease, if you have small hands playing the violin wouldn't be easier then playing the piano, especially if your pinky is short. You would not have done very well playing the bass with small hands either.
LOL .... golfgal, I have a hideously small pinky and you are right, it totally sucked!!!!

I. Pearlman is a big man with big hands and plays the violin. It's the musician, not the instrument that makes good music!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuke View Post
Piano. Much easier on the ears while they're learning.
shuke, you are too funny ... you are basing your decision soley on this reason?!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
My husband plays viola and piano. (Viola is his primary instrument.) His advice is always to let the child select whatever instrument they are drawn to.
well said !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting